4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Removing Seat belts & Cleaning em

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 02:44 PM

Removing Seat belts & Cleaning em

I saw a thread yrs ago of a guy who said he removed his seat belts...threw em in the washing machine and they looked brand new again. Anyone ever try this? would try it, but need some feedback from people who had tried it to help me figure out a way to take them out. thanks
Old 09-03-2011, 03:17 PM

I wouldn't put them in a washing machine for fear of the metal ends bashing up the inside of the washing machine. People have soaked the belts in soapy water and hand washed them, but technically you are not supposed to wash seat belts. It supposedly weakens the fabric.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I wouldn't put them in a washing machine for fear of the metal ends bashing up the inside of the washing machine. People have soaked the belts in soapy water and hand washed them, but technically you are not supposed to wash seat belts. It supposedly weakens the fabric.
So what is the proper way to clean the seatbelts. I was also wondering about this as I threw my entire cloth interior in a laundromat about a month ago. The only things that need cleaning is the seatbelts and the headliner. But if someone here can tell us how to clean the belts, that would be very helpful.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:59 PM

Use this in combination with a cotton towel.

For what its worth, Tuff Stuff will take just about anything out or off of anything.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Crushed
I saw a thread yrs ago of a guy who said he removed his seat belts...threw em in the washing machine and they looked brand new again. Anyone ever try this? would try it, but need some feedback from people who had tried it to help me figure out a way to take them out. thanks
honestly dude the washing machine would destroy the seat belt there loaded with explosives it sounds like it would work but im not going to trust something that could potentially save my life to a machine for my clothes

that tuff stuff is awsome though it took months of greased up old oil off my work boots with no problem at all
Old 09-03-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
honestly dude the washing machine would destroy the seat belt there loaded with explosives
I really don't think so!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:59 AM

I really don't think so!
are you being serious??

my seat belt has trouble retracting cuz its so old i went to nissan for a replacement and they told me "it has to be shipped certified freight because of the explosives" i have also personally saw the canister with my own eyes and wholy crap is it expensive

but maybe the washing machine wont spold it im pretty sure the water cant be good for it
Old 09-04-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
are you being serious??

my seat belt has trouble retracting cuz its so old i went to nissan for a replacement and they told me "it has to be shipped certified freight because of the explosives" i have also personally saw the canister with my own eyes and wholy crap is it expensive

but maybe the washing machine wont spold it im pretty sure the water cant be good for it
I had to do some research to see what's what. It turns out that starting with the 1999 model, Nissan started using expolsive belt locking devices in the seat belts. Prior to 1999, a mechanical mechanism was used.

I got caught by changes that I wasn't aware of.

There is a tool made by Nissan that the dealer is supposed to have that detonates the explosive. It pluds into the wire harness of the air bag or seat belt and sends an electrical pulse like the car's crash sensors would do. After an air bag or seat belt has ben detonated, it does not have to be shipped as certified, dangerous cargo.

As for washing the seat belts, it is allowable as long as the cleaning solution (the soap) is not caustic, which would rot the material. There are cleaning solutions certified by the goverment to be safe and are most typically used by professionals. This is to thwart lawsuits that the seat belt broke because of the cleaning.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:58 PM

I had to do some research to see what's what. It turns out that starting with the 1999 model, Nissan started using expolsive belt locking devices in the seat belts. Prior to 1999, a mechanical mechanism was used.

There is a tool made by Nissan that the dealer is supposed to have that detonates the explosive. It pluds into the wire harness of the air bag or seat belt and sends an electrical pulse like the car's crash sensors would do. After an air bag or seat belt has ben detonated, it does not have to be shipped as certified, dangerous cargo.

As for washing the seat belts, it is allowable as long as the cleaning solution (the soap) is not caustic, which would rot the material. There are cleaning solutions certified by the goverment to be safe and are most typically used by professionals. This is to thwart lawsuits that the seat belt broke because of the cleaning.
Phhweeew see i knew i wasnt crazy. you had me think im seein chet
Old 09-05-2011, 05:33 PM

Ahh this is very important information. The older design was better because there was no need to replace the seatbelt after an accident. Now, you have to because it locks in place.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Ahh this is very important information. The older design was better because there was no need to replace the seatbelt after an accident. Now, you have to because it locks in place.
Some (if not all) mechanical seat belts have to be replaced for one of two reasons. I'm not sure where the Nissan seatbelt falls.

1 - the seatbelt will not retract. The mechanical mechanism locks from the high force of the weight of your body pulling on it. A pin is driven (wedged) into the retracting mechanism to disable it.

2 - The fabric belt has sections that can "stretch". The belt is sewn with these sections in a "retracted" state, but the strength of the thread is not real strong. In an accident, this extra stitching rips, allowing the belt to stretch and act as a shock absorber.