4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how to drop exhaust on a 96 maxima

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 10:43 AM

how to drop exhaust on a 96 maxima

im doing my rear main seal and have to drop the exhaust but it one piece so i dont know if there any shortcuts removing the exhaust
i was wondering if i got to remove my c/v axle to to change my rms there is a post on here that says i can do it when i do my upper oil pan gasket without dropping my transmission . can it be done ?
Old 10-03-2011, 11:12 AM

One piece...we need more information.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:31 AM

Remove the y pipe. And then torch the remaining pieces off in sections. The Cat comes off by bolts though. Good Luck.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:34 AM

one piece meaning there is no way to remove it in two pieces cuz i cant figure out how to get it out of my way once i take the y pipe bolts off
Old 10-05-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by joseph.mcgowen
one piece meaning there is no way to remove it in two pieces cuz i cant figure out how to get it out of my way once i take the y pipe bolts off
The y pipe unbolts, the cat unbolts, the midpipe unbolts and the muffler should unbolt...
Old 10-05-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by 95Maxed
The y pipe unbolts, the cat unbolts, the midpipe unbolts and the muffler should unbolt...
+1

It should all unbolt. If its rusted then thats something else and u will need to cut.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:24 PM

the y-pipe and cat most likely has bolts on them. Most stock exhaust allows you to unbolt the muffler. If you cannot, then u need to take a hack saw and then bring ur car back to a muffler repair shop to re-weld it back on. There is no way you can take off your exhaust that is one piece unless you unbolt the rear beam.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:21 AM

Why not just lower it from under the engine/tranny, and in the middle of the car where it bolts to a hanger looking thing and just let it hang or rest on the ground while you do the rear main seal job!!?
Old 10-06-2011, 11:10 AM

none of that has bolts to remove it in more than one piece unless it under the heat shield which i cant separate from the exhaust so i was just gonna lay it down and work around it like snyp said

Last edited by joseph.mcgowen; 10-06-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:36 PM

none of that has bolts to remove it in more than one piece unless it under the heat shield which i cant separate from the exhaust so i was just gonna lay it down and work around it like snyp said
I am positive that there are bolts on the headers to the y, bolts on the y to the cat, bolts on the cat to the mid pipe, and bolts on the mid pipe to the muffler.

Im not sure if you mean they are seized and you simply cant get them off, or if you truly mean your exhaust is all one piece. Which would mean someone before you replaced it, and poorly at that.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Boosted Panda

your going to do the rear main but cant even get the exhaust off???
Uh, yeah good luck with that.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:26 PM

Don't struggle with this unless you are positive that your RMS is done (meaning you overfilled with oil). If you didn't chances are its your half moon seal on the upper oil pan. If uncertain and don't know where to start, maybe someone else should be working on the car.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:35 AM

for 1 *** off panda boy and i have only been able to work on the car at night and have almost no light but i got the exhaust off and i got the upper oil pan gasket so i can do that at the same time and i never over filled with oil but i have had a leak since i bought the car in feb so maybe the previous owner did so ima change both cuz i dont know which it is

Last edited by joseph.mcgowen; 10-08-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:39 PM

for 1 *** off panda boy and i have only been able to work on the car at night
1. Dont tell a senior member to "F*ck off"

2. If you really were struggling getting the exhaust off, hes right...

3. Ok you work at night? Get a shop light....
Old 10-08-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by 95Maxed
1. Dont tell a senior member to "F*ck off"

2. If you really were struggling getting the exhaust off, hes right...

3. Ok you work at night? Get a shop light....
I had to lol. Got to admit... boi gawt bawlz tellin a senior member to F off...
Old 10-08-2011, 06:37 PM

my bad i jus dont appreciate bein talked to like i'm stupid he didnt have to post anything i can do without smart *** comments i joined this to help me fix my car not to get ragged on this is my first time doing this in a fwd i was jus hoping for someone with experience to give some some advice not criticism and i will get a light i just didn't have the $ till 2day

Last edited by joseph.mcgowen; 10-08-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Boosted Panda

for 1 *** off panda boy and i have only been able to work on the car at night and have almost no light but i got the exhaust off and i got the upper oil pan gasket so i can do that at the same time and i never over filled with oil but i have had a leak since i bought the car in feb so maybe the previous owner did so ima change both cuz i dont know which it is
Well Im not the one whining about not being able to remove an exhaust system.
Having no light is a poor excuse for your whining. If you can't see, get some freakin drop lights. Can you not do any thinking on your own? Do you honestly need someone to hold your hand and tell you every little thing to do?

my bad i jus dont appreciate bein talked to like i'm stupid he didnt have to post anything i can do without smart *** comments i joined this to help me fix my car not to get ragged on this is my first time doing this in a fwd i was jus hoping for someone with experience to give some some advice not criticism and i will get a light i just didn't have the $ till 2day
That's understandable about coming here for help, but some things can really be tackled on your own. Have you even purchased a manual such as a Hayes or chiltons for your car or do you expect to rely on the org for every little item needing repair on your vehicle?
The main reason I made the comment I did is for the fact that removing the exhaust is fairly easy. Much easier then getting to the rear main seal.
Even if it wasnt the oem setup and it was indeed a welded up one piece setup all you have to do is cut it into sections. Then upon reassembled have flanges welded up or use band clamps. Not very difficult.
Now if you had a more unique problem, involving in depth troubleshooting I could clearly see a reason to ask the .org for help. but to simply remove your exhaust is a bit much.

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 10-09-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:06 PM

well i wasnt whinin bout **** if u dont like it dont post on my stuff no i havnt bought a book i didnt have the cash if i had a book i wouldnt need this site and i did the job without help from any one else so jus cuz i didnt know how to remove the exhaust dont mean i cant figure out how to do an rms there is a first time 4 everything and its sad ive had more response over this drama than the actuall problem by the exhaust was welded so i did have to cut it i just didnt want to and i thought i was missing something so ask me before ur a smartass next time
Old 10-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Boosted Panda

well i wasnt whinin bout **** if u dont like it dont post on my stuff no i havnt bought a book i didnt have the cash if i had a book i wouldnt need this site and i did the job without help from any one else so jus cuz i didnt know how to remove the exhaust dont mean i cant figure out how to do an rms there is a first time 4 everything and its sad ive had more response over this drama than the actuall problem by the exhaust was welded so i did have to cut it i just didnt want to and i thought i was missing something so ask me before ur a smartass next time
And your still whining.....
Old 10-11-2011, 07:44 PM

1. No periods, commas, punctuation in general.
2. No capitalization.
3. Thats one really long sentence.
4. STILL whining.

And your exhaust WAS welded huh? Why didnt you put that in the first post??? We were all giving you advice about unbolting it, questioning if the bolts were stuck, questioning if you had it replaced before.

You came here for help and failed to provide us with the info needed to give help.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you dont have the cash for a manual, then you may want to see about downloading the FSM for your car. For one your about to get into something thats not a easy job. But on the other hand its not that difficult either. You're talking about removing the upper oil pan but dont know the tightning order or torque. Are you using the right RTV for the upper gasket. Lastly, did you know that you have to wait at least 30min. before refilling with oil? Good luck.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:06 AM

no, i didn't know about the 30 minutes. is that for the RTV and the gasket to cure?

Last edited by kel456; 10-12-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:46 AM

The RTV is the gasket. And to answer your question, Yes.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 PM

Last edited by aackshun; 10-16-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:04 AM

got torque specs from autozone upper oil pan came with blck rtv and my period button doesn't work it was welded under the heat sheild were i couldn't see waited over an hour before i refilled with oil i didn't realize i was being graded for my punctuation either so any more irrelevant questions
Old 10-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Come on guys. Lets just focus on the help he requested and get him on the right track. Are you doing the upper oil pan instead of the RMS now?
Old 10-14-2011, 08:16 AM

thanks trini i decide to do both cuz i wasn't sure which was actually leaking i was told it was more than likely it's the upper oilpan but jus to be sure i did both
Old 10-14-2011, 08:11 PM

congrats. did it fix your leak?
Old 10-15-2011, 08:21 AM

thanx and yes it fixed it