4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

a way to get camber right for the cheapest price?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:51 AM

a way to get camber right for the cheapest price?

Got Some cheap drop springs 2 inch in rear 2 1/4 rear and im going through tires fast. its eating the front inside of the tires badly got 900 miles out some brand new falken 225/35/20...do i need to get camber plate and go get a alignment or will the alignment shop be able to fix the camber?

it dont look off at all when u stair at it usually i can tell right off the back after i car is lowered the tires bow out but not on this one. its very slight. cheapest camber plates i see are 280 bux im not looking to pay that much, rather spend that on my y pipe.

its 99 maxima gle.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:54 AM
SLOW

it's toe out that is eating your front tires, our suspension design toes out when you lower the ride height. you just need an alignment (assuming nothing is bent, etc).
Old 10-27-2011, 12:55 AM

will just a alignment fix the problem?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:40 AM

Yea get a alignment should fix the problem. I doubt you can put camber plates on a spring/strut combo you can get camber bolts but not camber plates there for coilovers.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
it's toe out that is eating your front tires, our suspension design toes out when you lower the ride height. you just need an alignment (assuming nothing is bent, etc).
This.

Whenever one makes changes to the suspension an alignment is required (not really required, but it's a DAMN good idea).
Old 10-27-2011, 07:10 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It amazes me that people don't think to have a simple wheel alignment after completely changing the suspension or altering the ride height of a vehicle.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
It amazes me that people don't think to have a simple wheel alignment after completely changing the suspension or altering the ride height of a vehicle.

Originally Posted by aackshun
This.

Whenever one makes changes to the suspension an alignment is required (not really required, but it's a DAMN good idea).

Originally Posted by wirelessdude04
Yea get a alignment should fix the problem. I doubt you can put camber plates on a spring/strut combo you can get camber bolts but not camber plates there for coilovers.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:35 AM

I have camber bolts on my front and nothing on my back. I have a little bit of camber wear on the rear tires b/c theyre cambered out a little since the lowering. Yes I got an alignment, the front are fine, rear got as close as possible.

So... Go get an alignment .
Old 10-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by 95Maxed
I have a little bit of camber wear on the rear tires b/c theyre cambered out a little since the lowering. Yes I got an alignment, the front are fine, rear got as close as possible.
There is no adjustment to the rear beam. The tracking of the rear wheels DOES NOT change when you lower a rear beam setup. Camber does not change, toe does not change. It's fixed. If it's not within spec, something is bent, most likely the beam itself.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
There is no adjustment to the rear beam. The tracking of the rear wheels DOES NOT change when you lower a rear beam setup. Camber does not change, toe does not change. It's fixed. If it's not within spec, something is bent, most likely the beam itself.
Before lowering, zero camber wear. After lowering, BOTH rear wheels had camber wear, its NOT toe wear. Dont know what to tell you other than my beam isnt bent.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:26 PM

I'm gonna have to use this guy again:

Pro-tip: it is your toe.

Last edited by aackshun; 10-27-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Got Retrofit?

Before lowering, zero camber wear. After lowering, BOTH rear wheels had camber wear, its NOT toe wear. Dont know what to tell you other than my beam isnt bent.
njmaxseltd is right though. Rear beam = camber/toe cannot be adjusted, even when lowered.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:04 PM
SLOW

I know we had this discussion in another thread but I'd like to reiterate, there is NO change to camber or toe when you lower the rear of the car. The beam goes straight up and down. Despite your claims to the contrary, what you are stating is impossible. Camber in the rear CAN NOT change unless you bend the rear beam (neither can toe). Period. You are wrong in every sense of the word. If you are truly getting uneven wear in the rear, then something is messed up. Lowering did not do it.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:07 PM

...CAN NOT change unless you bend the rear beam (neither can toe). Period.
Woah now... Either the guys at my alignment shop are always messing up but when I raise my car my toe is off but back within spec, when I drop it back to the ground... my toe is back to being hella-off...

I can upload some alignment sheets for you...

I thought since the center of the beam pivoted with only one connection, the whole beam gets offset when lowered which causes the change in toe?

There's a picture around here somewhere h/o....

Found it!

http://forums.maxima.org/7957358-post1.html

Last edited by aackshun; 10-27-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:11 PM
SLOW

the beam in the rear offsets to one side, correct, but the top of the tire does not go in nor does the bottom of the tire go out, thus no change in camber. Same with toe, the front and rear tires don't go in or out, thus no change in toe. If you have a slightly bent suspension piece, or worn bushings though, things can go all over the place. the orientation of the rear tires to each other will stay the same though. they are held rigid by the beam. there is no adjustment of the hubs in relation to the beam in the rear. the hubs in the front can be adjust in and out in both x and y axes, which is why you see changes in camber and toe.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:23 PM

the hubs in the front can be adjust in and out in both x and y axes, which is why you see changes in camber and toe.
My camber never changes, stays @ -1.2 (or around there within a .1 difference, pending of course how the tech puts on the alignment thingy)

And I thought only cars with brake drums can have adjustment shims?

I'd love to have my toe set correctly one of these days... I was thinking the QT link was the way to go about it.... But I don't want to get another beam because I enjoy my rear camber much much more than my slightly off toe.

And I do not think I'm precise enough to bend it on my own... even tho it ain't rocket science right?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:26 PM
SLOW

My camber never changes, stays @ -1.2 (or around there within a .1 difference, pending of course how the tech puts on the alignment thingy)
are you talking about in the front or the rear?

it should not change in the rear when you adjust ride height. it has to change in the front (assuming you don't readjust it back using camber bolts, or camber plates). that's just how the pivot points of our suspension work.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:30 PM

are you talking about in the front or the rear?

it should not change in the rear when you adjust ride height. it has to change in the front (assuming you don't readjust it back using camber bolts, or camber plates). that's just how the pivot points of our suspension work.
Rear of course, like I said I'm still in the dark about toe there....

I know Camber will never change, but my toe varies quite a bit depending on what height I have the day that day I get it aligned....
Old 10-27-2011, 02:08 PM

I know we had this discussion in another thread but I'd like to reiterate, there is NO change to camber or toe when you lower the rear of the car. The beam goes straight up and down. Despite your claims to the contrary, what you are stating is impossible. Camber in the rear CAN NOT change unless you bend the rear beam (neither can toe). Period. You are wrong in every sense of the word. If you are truly getting uneven wear in the rear, then something is messed up. Lowering did not do it.
I know we've had this discussion before but I really dont know what to tell you. My beam is not bent, I am positive its not. Both rear tires have legit camber wear, same amount. When you stare at the back of my car both rear tires are cambered a tad bit.

I really dont know what to say about how it happened. But I did not have that wear before I lowered the car that all I know.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:39 PM

I know we've had this discussion before but I really dont know what to tell you. My beam is not bent, I am positive its not. Both rear tires have legit camber wear, same amount. When you stare at the back of my car both rear tires are cambered a tad bit.

I really dont know what to say about how it happened. But I did not have that wear before I lowered the car that all I know.
Easy way to fix this.

Take a yardstick, lay it against your beam, take a picture, upload it, post it here.

You realize how little it has to be bent to affect your camber by 1 degree right?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:01 PM

Easy way to fix this.

Take a yardstick, lay it against your beam, take a picture, upload it, post it here.

You realize how little it has to be bent to affect your camber by 1 degree right?
True, but bend and affect both sides evenly?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:16 PM

True, but bend and affect both sides evenly?
You only have to bend at one point in the middle to gain cambah, the yardstick photo is to see if the beam is bent or not.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:06 PM

You only have to bend at one point in the middle to gain cambah, the yardstick photo is to see if the beam is bent or not.
No, yea I understand that youd only bend it at one point. What I meant was more along the lines of what are the chances its bent in the middle and affects both sides evenly.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:11 PM

No, yea I understand that youd only bend it at one point. What I meant was more along the lines of what are the chances its bent in the middle and affects both sides evenly.
The same chance that a previous owner did it... Like on mine.. Got my car w/ da rear on herra frush.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:23 PM

If your offset stuck the wheels out a little, and if you had alot of wieght in the trunk, the axle could bow enough to give you your camber.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:23 PM

assuming you bend it directly in the middle youll have equal camber. if its off-centered then the camber will be different.

also, if you think about it, you could accidentally give yourself some toe... bend the beam but not directly on top of the beam up or down but somewhat forward or backwards, then theres your toe.

for the op, is it possible your car was pulled or pulling something from the rear beam. seems like it would take a lot of force but that could be the cause of a bend.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:36 PM

The same chance that a previous owner did it... Like on mine.. Got my car w/ da rear on herra frush.
Cars been in my family since the beginning. My dad never modded it hah.

Originally Posted by asand1
If your offset stuck the wheels out a little, and if you had alot of wieght in the trunk, the axle could bow enough to give you your camber.
True, ive got g35 17's though, offset isnt very much.

Dont know hah
Old 10-28-2011, 12:10 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by max_dreamer
assuming you bend it directly in the middle youll have equal camber. if its off-centered then the camber will be different.

also, if you think about it, you could accidentally give yourself some toe... bend the beam but not directly on top of the beam up or down but somewhat forward or backwards, then theres your toe.

for the op, is it possible your car was pulled or pulling something from the rear beam. seems like it would take a lot of force but that could be the cause of a bend.
that is a good point about the rear toe possibly being caused by a non-vertical bend in the rear beam, i actually never thought of that. it would be interesting to do the math on the pivot points and beam length, etc and figure out how much of a bend in the beam would be required to give a little bit of a change in the camber and toe.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by wirelessdude04
Never heard of Stillen camber plates?