4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No start - Key not recognized? How to verify?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 02:57 PM

No start - Key not recognized? How to verify?

Went to start the '99 Max. If fired for a moment, then it died. Now it just cranks, no apparent firing. I'm thinking that the key may have lost it's match to the ECU. There's another key for it but it's out of town right now, so I can't try it for a day or so.

Questions:

1. Is there any way to verify that it's a key problem and not a mechanical problem short of towing it to a dealer (assuming it won't start with the other key) ?

2. Is this key specific or ECU specific? In other words, if this one key is bad, will the other one likely still work?

Thanks,
Old 11-26-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by BobMax
Went to start the '99 Max. If fired for a moment, then it died. Now it just cranks, no apparent firing. I'm thinking that the key may have lost it's match to the ECU. There's another key for it but it's out of town right now, so I can't try it for a day or so.

Questions:

1. Is there any way to verify that it's a key problem and not a mechanical problem short of towing it to a dealer (assuming it won't start with the other key) ?

2. Is this key specific or ECU specific? In other words, if this one key is bad, will the other one likely still work?

Thanks,
1.If the security light to the left of the steering column is on solid, than your immobilizer has been activated. (IE:its a key problem)

2. My understanding is that its key specific. I could be wrong on that though. There is a procedure in the owners manual that is supposed to reset things. But I have never read on here about anyone actually having that work. But it's worth a shot. The other key may work. No way to know without actually trying it. Even if it does work, you'll still need to have the current, non functioning key reprogrammed.

Just to get it out of the way. Are there any check engine light codes present? Have you had any other starting issues lately? It could of course, just be a weak battery, or dying starter, or any number of no start causing items.

But, if the security light is on solid, that it is definitely the immobilizer.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am having the same issue. Car started, rev'd up, and died twice and will now just turn over. Security light is soild when the key is in the on position. I did spray starting fluid into the system and the car seemed to stumble prior to the battery failing from being cranked on for to long. Did your alternate key end up working? I had a locksmith look at the one key I have and they can read it. Wonder what would happen if I buy a new key since they can read it?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:40 PM

Finally gettig back to this thread...

Thanks for the tip on the scurity light.

My issue turned out to be a starting problem of some sort. I tried it with the "other" key and it did the same thing - minor start/stumble die. So, I cranked a bit more and it sounded like an old school flooded engine - lots of crank, an occassional fire, and no start. Kept at it for a few minutes and it finally started, ran rough, then smoothed out. It's been fine since.

I chaulked it up to something bad in the gas that was in the injectors, perhaps some water(?). I did throw in a can of dry gas just in case.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 99_Red_SE
I am having the same issue. Car started, rev'd up, and died twice and will now just turn over. Security light is soild when the key is in the on position. I did spray starting fluid into the system and the car seemed to stumble prior to the battery failing from being cranked on for to long. Did your alternate key end up working? I had a locksmith look at the one key I have and they can read it. Wonder what would happen if I buy a new key since they can read it?
I'm no guru, but as far as I know you would need to have the new key AND the old key both programmed to the car.

I believe the ECU cuts fuel to the engine to prevent starting when there's a security violation, so the starter fluid kind of makes sense: it would fire, but then die with no fuel supply.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the reply. New to this forum, and it's format, so I apologize if I am not responding correctly I have read a ton on various posts and will call a locksmith out tomorrow to cut a new key and re-program. This issue appears to be big on the 99 and maybe what happened with your senerio is you did not exceed the 3 attempts which will cause you to go into (lockmode). Really good post on this topic - http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-bites-me.html. Interesting thing is your ECU keeps track of the number of viloations and when you get to 3 you will be IMMOBILIZED. I will reply back once I get the car back on the road.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Locksmith came out today and reprogrammed existing key in addition to making a new one. I did not have to take it to the dealership to be reflashed. They tried resetting using a port just below the fuse box and it would not respond. Once they connected to the port inside the fuse box things went smoothly. I hope this is not the beginning of more lockouts to come.