4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Very unusual misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:14 AM

Very unusual misfiring

I'm getting used to the idea that my Maxima will be misfiring more of the time than it will be firing on all cylinders, but I'd still like to get it running smooth...I've replaced a few coils over the last year, but both times they went bad it was a steady misfiring, running very rough. So the first coil I replaced was OEM, the second duralast. Duralast threw a code so I swapped it out for a junk yard oem for $8. Now a few weeks later, I am misfiring again but now its totally random, usually starts at idle or when accelerating uphill or low rpms. If I'm stopped and i put it in neutral, it stops. Should I just start by replacing that coil again? I think i'm going to buy a multimeter today and check all the resistances. Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:55 AM

Yea, check resistance you can also chek by disconnecting each coil as the car is running. When was the last time you changed your plugs? Make sure there are no vacuum leaks either maybe a hose came loose or fell off.

Oh any check engine light?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Outatime28
I'm getting used to the idea that my Maxima will be misfiring more of the time than it will be firing on all cylinders, but I'd still like to get it running smooth...I've replaced a few coils over the last year, but both times they went bad it was a steady misfiring, running very rough. So the first coil I replaced was OEM, the second duralast. Duralast threw a code so I swapped it out for a junk yard oem for $8. Now a few weeks later, I am misfiring again but now its totally random, usually starts at idle or when accelerating uphill or low rpms. If I'm stopped and i put it in neutral, it stops. Should I just start by replacing that coil again? I think i'm going to buy a multimeter today and check all the resistances. Thanks in advance for suggestions.
there is a vacuum line that connects the heads of the motor, its on the left side of the intake manifold. its usually cracked on both ends of the line and from my experience, venting the heads to atmosphere leads to misfire(s) and the engine running lean so i would also check that line. see what codes you have.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:01 PM

It's expensive so i hope this isnt it, but i had the same issue once. It turns out it was my fuel injector. so you may want to check on that