4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Body damage......is this worth making an offer on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:52 PM

Body damage......is this worth making an offer on?

So I was looking at a 97 GLE over the weekend and it didn't work out. SO...I find this little "beauty". I am currently in discussions with the seller who needs to dump at as he's moving out of town.

It's a 98 GXE and take a look at the body damage to the rear of the vehicle. Do you guys think that this damage is a relatively simple solution to remedy? It's too late for body shops right now, otherwise I'd call them up. But what do you guys and gals think? If I can get a screaming deal on this car (130K miles, auto, 98 GXE)...

Basically I'm asking what you guys think a shop will charge to fix this body damage. Thanks

edit...is it just me or do those wheels and tires look a bit odd on this car...the seller claims they came with the car when he bought it years ago...

close-ups:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...gejpeg_2_4.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...gejpeg_2_5.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...gejpeg_2_2.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...gejpeg_2_3.jpg
Old 01-09-2012, 08:56 PM

What would constitute a screaming deal? If it were me, I'd keep looking. 5pd SE or bust. I need to get some rust fixed myself, but I don't see you fixing that without a new door, macco, and paint.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:02 PM

Let me elaborate a bit.

This thing blue books in my area at just over $2400 for FAIR condition. I am thinking 1500 or nothing.

I want (need) auto, so my wife can drive it. I am looking at vehicles with as low of mileage as possible, and 138 is a bit high for my wife's tastes but I am fine with it. Seller claims he can't park at his condo place and that's why its all scratched up.

I know NOTHING about body work, so that's why I'm here.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:03 PM

I'd say its worth 1k-1.5k if its running correctly.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 PM

Sheit there are so many maxes on the road now just keep looking. Its not like anybody else will jump on it in the next day or so. 130k isn't great or anything and that body damage is on more than one panel and would cost more than you pay for the car to fix it to where you are happy with the results. Move on IMO
Old 01-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It's going to be well over a grand to have both sides fixed & painted with blends so the color matches. At that point your over book value. Offer no more then a grand and you can fix it and still have a descent deal.

Aside from the cosmetic damage, what mechanical condition is it in?
Is there a record of maintenance?
That would actually be more important then the cosmetic damage.

The wheels look normal, they stand out more because of the filthy wheel wells.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:52 AM

search our classifieds there are some for sale in there too!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
search our classifieds there are some for sale in there too!
you go ahead and search...see how many you find in the PacNW...I found ONE and it's already gone :-)

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
It's going to be well over a grand to have both sides fixed & painted with blends so the color matches. At that point your over book value. Offer no more then a grand and you can fix it and still have a descent deal.
Yeah, Im planning on calling a body shop and maybe going over with the pics I have to get a rough estimate...

Aside from the cosmetic damage, what mechanical condition is it in?
Is there a record of maintenance?
That would actually be more important then the cosmetic damage.

The wheels look normal, they stand out more because of the filthy wheel wells.
Unknown at this point. Dude has had it for 5 years and he has records of his work done and he says all interval work was done properly but I havent actually looked yet. Was planning on doing so here in a day or two.

I am leery of getting an inspection since the last two I had were busts...don't really know if I want to drop another bit of cash on this particular risk atm...
Old 01-10-2012, 08:13 AM

I'd pass...
Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 AM

I'm going to end up passing on this.

Called a few places and the cheapest estimate was 2 grand. Got more pics from the seller and the hood is all banged up as well, so this car could be in perfect running condition but requires 3 grand of repairs just to the body.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 AM

The car is a GLE model, the least expensive one. The wheels on the GLE model are not aluminum, they are the old style steel wheels with plastic wheel covers
Old 01-10-2012, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The car is a GLE model, the least expensive one. The wheels on the GLE model are not aluminum, they are the old style steel wheels with plastic wheel covers
wait...I thought GXE was the cheap-o? The GLE has leather and all that crap, no spoiler. This car has a spoiler, cloth seats and the seller actually called it a SE but I now it's not due to the black instrument cluster. And the GLE doesn't have the steel wheels.

I'm going off of the FAQ on this... this vehicle is not the GLE. But regardless, I'm not getting it.

Last edited by Amerikaner83; 01-10-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:15 AM

if u want perfection then move on to another car...
Old 01-10-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
if u want perfection then move on to another car...
I had to laugh at this one.

Do I want perfection? Of course not, not at the price range I'm looking at. HOWEVER, I do require the repair bill (body or engine) to be less than what I'm paying for the car.

Besides, one can likely infer from the physical condition of this particular vehicle that it's mechanical condition is not that different. If someone doesn't take care of the body of the car, likely they don't take care of the mechanical aspects either.

Would YOU buy that car for 1500, and go to a shop to spend 3 grand on repairs on the body, and le's throw out a number here, 1500 on mechanical repairs? That's 6 grand for a 98 GXE. Would you pay that? I wouldn't. (sure, you may know a guy at a body shop who could do it for cheap, but compare apples to apples here. YOUR situation is not the same as mine. You may even not care about the looks of the car, that's fine. But I do.)

I am a realist. I don't expect perfection at the price point I am looking at.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
wait...I thought GXE was the cheap-o? The GLE has leather and all that crap, no spoiler. This car has a spoiler, cloth seats and the seller actually called it a SE but I now it's not due to the black instrument cluster. And the GLE doesn't have the steel wheels.

I'm going off of the FAQ on this... this vehicle is not the GLE. But regardless, I'm not getting it.
It could still be an SE with the black instrument cluster. Mines an SE and its white but ive seen SE models with the black. Maybe a cluster swap? I dont know for certain. Only way to find out is go into the stickies with the VIN and find out for certain. The GXE is the cheapo base model and the GLE is the luxury model. SE could go either way depending on the options you chose on so IMO the SE is the way to go for the best possible Max
Old 01-10-2012, 01:09 PM

+1 the SE is the better model to get. They have better suspension and can be tailored to your particular tastes: you can get cloth heated seats over leather if you want.