4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Start Up Issue (after driving for a while)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:30 AM

Start Up Issue (after driving for a while)

97 max. auto.

I've got an issue with the car not responding when the key is turned.
This issue only occurs randomly but it seems to happen when I take the car out for about an hour or so (at least only when the car is hot or up to normal op temp for a good half hour) and then I park for a bit like 15 minutes or so. When I try to start it up again, turning the key does nothing. Feels like some kind of electrical problem, but why does it seem to only occur when the car has been driving for a while at normal operating temp/least I assume thats what it is because I cant remember it happening from a cold start before.

***It usually starts up fine after I let it sit for about an hour after experiencing the issue. I'm in a cold climate by the way. It happened a bit in the summer too not as much tough. It would normally work after the 2nd or 3rd turning of the key but now when it happens, no dice.

*It isnt an issue of the IGNITION SWITCH i dont think because i checked it the teeth are grabbing on the other end of the cyl the teeth look unworn and fine, didnt manage to start the car using a screwdriver right away however as i said after the car sat for about a good hour it successfully started up using screwdriver/key.

*Mechanic tested the starter's ground wiring said it looked fine, we couldn't figure out the issue. Battery is brand new (but happened with old battery too) and Alternator is working perfectly.

Is there a part that sends a signal between the ignition cyl and the starter that could be the culprit? I cannot figure this out neither can the mechanic. But I cant very well have the car do this to me every time I get out to go into a store or something.

Something to do with when the car is hot or at normal op temp maybe? A certain part being too hot? Wiring? Ah!

NOTE: I noticed the old battery was some weird sizing like for a truck or something it wasnt proper for the car it was oversized. Could this have caused wires or anything like that to over heat or short how ever many years the thing was in the car. Causing shorts or something... Another thing with it is the factory alarm goes off sometimes usually after its rained. But not very often. So random. I took out that fuse though. The car also has power lock issues at least with the driver door lock it only unlocks with remote or manually or locks manually but wont lock with the remote, weird. So it would seem, that I'm looking at something electrical. I just don't know where to begin with this.

I checked all the connectors in terms of tightness inside the engine bay as well.
I also checked your girlfriend for tightness. All seems well.

And im NOT getting any codes. and all fluids are at the correct levels.

Coolant temp sensor maybe? MAF? Crankshaft pos sensor? neutral/park safety swtich thing (i havent yet tried to start the car in neutral when the issue has occurred. i didnt think to try it at the time. but i did make sure it was firmly in park.) =s i dont know. random guessing from the various replies found on googled topics.

Thanks guys..

Last edited by worldwiderecognized; 01-29-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:01 AM

By the way I have read about 10 threads with no luck, on here and other sites. =s most people seem to have problems more definitive.

Last edited by worldwiderecognized; 01-29-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:31 AM

Does anyone know what sensors/items will prevent the car from starting (like designed to do so if x) besides a faulty ignition switch or starter. Such as certain sensors or something. Considering no codes... I don't know what else to look at
Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 AM
Kevlo for President

My ignition switch looked fine externally but the circuit internally was messed up. This sounds EXACTLY like my ignition switch problem. I am leaning towards that since I have not seen any circuit problems in these cars (as far as the starting circuit)
Old 02-01-2012, 09:41 AM

Hey, I think it may be your MAF. Is your car cuttin off when you drive? I had the issue where it wouldn't turn over in my 95. Try cleaning your MAF first before changing it.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:43 AM

But I think it could be a bad starter like Kevlo911 said, it could be messed up internally.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:47 AM

Check your Crankshaft Position Sensor. Read this thread that addresses your problem with a couple of possible answers:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...n-learned.html

I'm encountering somewhat of a similar problem too