4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alternator Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alternator Problem?

New to the forum, we have a '98 Maxima with 215K; been in the family for 8 years now, still runs like a top.

If the car sits for a while, it'll start right up, but the Battery and Brake dash lights will stay on for 10-15 minutes; they'll eventually go off and (if it's night time) then the lights will get a little brighter as well (surprise). If the car only sits for only a couple of hours, no lights. I read that back in the day there was a recall on the alternator for a diode problem. Wishful thinking would be that I could just go to Nissan now . . .

I'm guessing this is an alternator problem; battery is new - Interstate; is replacing the alternator really the drag that is seems to be based on its location, or is there a secret Chilton's Ninja procedure?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:26 AM

unfortunately for you, replacing an alternator really is a pain in the *** to do because of the location. there's no secret procedure but it can be done.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 AM

Its a drag man.

I have hrd of ppl not having to remove the radiator or fan to get to the alternator. You would have to SEARCH the forum to see if there are any hints.

Per the FSM however, u supposed to remove radiator and fan.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you both; not a surprise, but I can think of worse matters to deal with.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Its a drag man.

I have hrd of ppl not having to remove the radiator or fan to get to the alternator. You would have to SEARCH the forum to see if there are any hints.

unnecessary, but definitely gives better access. I've never done it, but I think next time I have to, I'm going to at least remove the fan shroud.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:32 AM

You shouldn't need to remove the entire radiator to change it. I have a Mishimoto that's 3x thick as stock radiator and I left it in on my last alternator change. You do have to remove the fan shroud though. It's the 2 top bolts on the radiator and 2 plugs and it lifts out at an angle. There is 2 bolts that hold the alternator in. One on the top near the engine and one below that. It's the bottom bolt that is a pain. You have to slide it through 2 holes on the engine and 2 holes on the alternator it self. It took about an hour and half to install it. Now that I've done it once I can learn from my mistakes and do it even faster next time. Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
You shouldn't need to remove the entire radiator to change it. I have a Mishimoto that's 3x thick as stock radiator and I left it in on my last alternator change. You do have to remove the fan shroud though. It's the 2 top bolts on the radiator and 2 plugs and it lifts out at an angle. There is 2 bolts that hold the alternator in. One on the top near the engine and one below that. It's the bottom bolt that is a pain. You have to slide it through 2 holes on the engine and 2 holes on the alternator it self. It took about an hour and half to install it. Now that I've done it once I can learn from my mistakes and do it even faster next time. Hope this helps, good luck.
nope. you don't even have to remove the fan shroud...ask me how i know.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Blown

It's time consuming but not that bad of a job, just take the right stuff out of the way. Take the fans out and unbolt the a/c compressor from the block. Then the rest is straight forward. Take the belt off, take the electrical connections off of the alt., and then take the bolts out. I think it took me a couple of hours last time I did one. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 AM

With the fan shroud gone it was much easier to position the alternator in place. Considering it's 2 10mm bolts and 2 plugs, I'd say it's worth pulling out. The radiator is a hassle in itself. You'd have to drain it, undo the hose clamps and then fill it once finished.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:51 AM

You can change the alternator without removing the radiator, but the extra room you get by removing the radiator makes the job easier as you could damage the radiator with the a/c compressor when you are moving it around.

To the op, the alternator recall was due to the alternator catching on fire.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 PM

OP, I've had to change mine a ridiculous amount of times in the past 7 months, like 8 times. so I know all the tricks. the last time I changed mine, 2 weeks back, I left in the fan shroud to experiment. it is possible. but it seemed like the alternator only came out and went in one way lol. the back bolt is a PITA, but isn't bad if you're not afraid to get under the car and look around the A/C compressor.

it's more time consuming, but it is easier to just remove the fans.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:36 PM

who the **** cares about removing a fan shroud assembly? it takes like 5 ****in minutes and gives you a ****load more room. why wouldnt you just do it?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:38 PM

also this is a cinch if you have an extra pair of hands to benchpress the alternator from underneath while you put the top bolt into the bracket.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
who the **** cares about removing a fan shroud assembly? it takes like 5 ****in minutes and gives you a ****load more room. why wouldnt you just do it?
I never said don't remove it, I simply said it's not necessary. I even said next time I do it, I'm going to remove the shroud.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Its a drag man.

I have replaced my alternator 5 times in the past year... As of now, I need only remove 3 bolts, unplug the harness, and remove power wire and she comes out. Takes me less than 5 min with my setup
Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 PM

i removed ac compressor when i removed my alt. i didnt have to touch rad at all.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:12 AM

you mad bro?

I can see it taking 5 mins if you don't have stock intake. but people like me have a stock intake, and need to take 60% of it off to take the ram air part off.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by styliztik
you mad bro?

I can see it taking 5 mins if you don't have stock intake. but people like me have a stock intake, and need to take 60% of it off to take the ram air part off.
He isn't made. He always talks like that.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:15 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It the drive belt tight? Is it old or glazed up?
Could be slipping when it's cold causing the low charge condition.
I've never heard of an alternator that only starts working a few minutes after its warmed up. Check the belt first, this could be an easy cheap fix.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:38 AM

heres a trouble shoot for anyone else with a charging problem.

my alternator main wire shorted out, which blew the 140a fuse right next to the battery. radio, windows, blower motors, and gauge lights stopped working. replace the fuse. most stores dont sell the 140a you need, but you can use a 120a fuse.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by WesCTR
I never said don't remove it, I simply said it's not necessary. I even said next time I do it, I'm going to remove the shroud.
i wasnt speaking specifically to you.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
He isn't made. He always talks like that.
correct-a-mundo.

its called cursing "bro." its part of my vocabulary. it just makes it look like youre mad when theyre all censored to hell. and i havent had a stock intake in a while but, i dont remember the ram air part taking more than 30 seconds to get off. so i guess 5 minutes and 30 seconds? you got me.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:06 PM

correct-a-mundo.

its called cursing "bro." its part of my vocabulary. it just makes it look like youre mad when theyre all censored to hell. and i havent had a stock intake in a while but, i dont remember the ram air part taking more than 30 seconds to get off. so i guess 5 minutes and 30 seconds? you got me.
lol okay. yeah to get the ram air part off you gotta take the air filter out, the top, and the bottom part of the air filter cover(idk what they're called. the top part is snapped on, the bottom has 4 bolts holding it onto the body.) and then you can wiggle the ram air part out
Old 03-17-2012, 07:57 PM

i could always just wiggle mine out. without removing any of that.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:51 PM

I just did mine. like most ppl say remove fan shroud. Remove 4 condenser bolt and slide condenser forward let the hoses support if need be. From below car break loose button lower alt. Bolt with your left hand, as your right doesn't have the leverage to accomplish this. After loosening this bolt then complete unbolting from above. Follow these simple instructions and this job would be bearable .
Old 03-18-2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by rf97
I just did mine. like most ppl say remove fan shroud. Remove 4 condenser bolt and slide condenser forward let the hoses support if need be. From below car break loose button lower alt. Bolt with your left hand, as your right doesn't have the leverage to accomplish this. After loosening this bolt then complete unbolting from above. Follow these simple instructions and this job would be bearable .
you mean compressor. condenser will get you no room for this job.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:02 PM

You need an alternator if those dash lights come on. You will notice some other weird electrical problems as well if you do not replace it. I've replaced my alternator, wasn't too bad of a job, just took a little while. I did not remove the radiator, just displaced the fans. It was like 5 years ago so I don't remember what else I did. Hahaha
Old 03-18-2012, 07:02 PM

you mean compressor. condenser will get you no room for this job.
Yes ac compressor
Old 03-18-2012, 07:06 PM

yup samething my cousins neighbor had , her '99 max had an alternnator fail, battery & brake light on
Old 03-18-2012, 09:06 PM

I just did the alternator with the help of a buddy today. I stripped the belt tensioner bolt, need a new one.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by VisciousMo
I just did the alternator with the help of a buddy today. I stripped the belt tensioner bolt, need a new one.
i hate that bolt and it's entire existence. tried to help a friend replace his tensioner pulley and almost stripped it. never got it loose on his car.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 AM

Happened to me too! I torqued mine in half. Viscious, pick n pull on the south side is your friend! Got a bolt and bracket for around 6 bucks. plenty of them there too. Just find one that is not seized.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:15 AM

Damn, im having similiar issues on my 95...however i got battery only light,no brake light,but then again the whole rpm side doesnt light up at night either,so i could have other dead bulbs i guess..between this and my 99 se-l ripped apart for ball joints tie rod ends and some wirebrushing on the knuckles and probably a coat of paint to clean it up,im kind of mad LOL two maximas and need runs right now...although my 95 starts intermitantley...once i start it and shut it off it wont restart for 15-20 minutes....still think alternator??
Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
Damn, im having similiar issues on my 95...however i got battery only light,no brake light,but then again the whole rpm side doesnt light up at night either,so i could have other dead bulbs i guess..between this and my 99 se-l ripped apart for ball joints tie rod ends and some wirebrushing on the knuckles and probably a coat of paint to clean it up,im kind of mad LOL two maximas and need runs right now...although my 95 starts intermitantley...once i start it and shut it off it wont restart for 15-20 minutes....still think alternator??
NO. The main purpose of the alternator is to charge the battery. If the battery is run down and you try to start the car, the engine cranks slowly or not at all. If the engine cranks at normal speed, then the alternator is doing its job.

As far as your dashboard lights, you can check the brake light 2 ways. 1 - pull up on the parking brake handle. The brake should come on. 2 - With the engine off, turn the key to the "ON" position but don't start the car. ALL the warning lights should be on. Nissan calls this the bulb test.