4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:43 AM

opinions needed

so after doing a little research on here i ended up changing my oil pressure switch, had a small leak. After changing the switch had a huge leak! Called and yelled at auto zone , put the old one back in still leaking mind you and then it got to dark to work on so this morning i took my max to a local shop. I bought another sensor and they put it up on a lift and we changed it again still leaking...after further examination there is a crack in the block inside where the threads are for the sensor, that runs out and up a little bit from the sensor....im at a loss.....so what to do now, its a 96 maxima 117000 miles on it and i've already had the bearings in the tranny replaced at 100,000 miles. replaced all struts, ect ect ...this thing is like my baby...so i dunno what to do ...sell it , trade it in, motor swap, i have a guy that will do it for 4 to 500 plus i have to find a motor....just wanting some opinions thanks guys.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by snicklefitz
so after doing a little research on here i ended up changing my oil pressure switch, had a small leak. After changing the switch had a huge leak! Called and yelled at auto zone , put the old one back in still leaking mind you and then it got to dark to work on so this morning i took my max to a local shop. I bought another sensor and they put it up on a lift and we changed it again still leaking...after further examination there is a crack in the block inside where the threads are for the sensor, that runs out and up a little bit from the sensor....im at a loss.....so what to do now, its a 96 maxima 117000 miles on it and i've already had the bearings in the tranny replaced at 100,000 miles. replaced all struts, ect ect ...this thing is like my baby...so i dunno what to do ...sell it , trade it in, motor swap, i have a guy that will do it for 4 to 500 plus i have to find a motor....just wanting some opinions thanks guys.
Are the threads stripped, or did it get cross-threaded?
Old 03-24-2012, 08:59 AM

im not sure....the sensor screws right in ...they said it felt loose when first going in. they also said the threads look good, they said there is a crack in the block and showed me....its inside where the threads are at for the ops and it actually runs out and up just a hair,,,,tried 2 new sensors and no luck .....oh and they put teflon tape the sensor to try and help some but its still leaking....
Old 03-24-2012, 12:57 PM

Jb weld that sucker in there....slim chance of it ever failing again....otherwise....motor swap..if you love it that much buy a dek engine and do some wiring and have a better engine...otherwise craigslist has alllll sorts of vq30de engines cheaps
Old 03-24-2012, 02:16 PM

^^^Yup, I love jb weld. Just so you know, it will not stick to oil so make sure you clean where the crack is very well. On the flip side, once you get the jb weld in the hole, you can also put some oil on the threads of the sensor so it will not stick and basically it will make new threads so u can take it out again...if that makes sense. (it makes sense In my head and I've done it like that before on another project) OR, just jb weld that ***** right in and never replace it which is probably what I'd do.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Have to agree with the JB Weld.
I have a crack in the transfer case in my explorer right where the drain plug screws in. I drained the case, cleaned everything really REALLY well and put a few layers of JB on the crack. It's been holding leak free for two years now.

The key is to make sure the surface is really clean. Use brake clean and spray the hell out if it. Let it dry really good and put a few layers over the crack, spreading out more with each layer. You should be good to go if you do the process nice and clean.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:53 PM

Jb weld is your friend
Old 03-25-2012, 07:26 AM

jb weld1

thanks everyone for your suggestions, yea i really feel like i have put to much into the car to let it go, so im definitely going to try that....i did find a motor locally actually with 80k for 300 dollars "couldn't believe it"! so i think im going to buy that and have one of my friends at work put it in for me and jb weld it for now....any thing else i should replace/ and or have checked on the new motor....i was thinking timing chain guides and water pump ....maybe new seals and what not....k thanks again!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:48 AM

pending the year of the engine, timing guides arent needed unless its an older engine,97-99 have updated guides an tensioners i believe...aside from that check coils,mass air sensor if it comes with it, definately valve cover gaskets, all the common sense things...while your swapping,id suggest checkin your engine mounts to make sure they are still good,replace those as needed, and when the engine is out clean the hell outta your engine bay before install of new engine