4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car wont start after sitting months

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 02:32 PM

Car wont start after sitting months

Ok, so my 98 has been sitting for about 6 months now while I repaired the front end. Everything is reassembled but she wont turn over. I put in a new battery and Im getting lights windows everything... So its not a dead battery. When I connect my battery all my speakers start popping and when I try to start the motor I get a click but nothing else. When the car was in a wreck the EGI relay was busted so I even replaced that thinking maybe it was causing a short. Im thinking that might still be the problem but Im really not sure. Any suggestions or ideas?
Old 04-18-2012, 02:37 PM

take out the fuse for the alarm
Old 04-18-2012, 02:42 PM

Sounds like you may have another short.

But you didn't state it clear enough for me to understand.

The starter is turning the motor right? Or not?
Old 04-18-2012, 02:57 PM

No starter isn't turning... before I go ahead and say I need a new starter which it may be. I want to make sure its not just a short thats the problem.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:01 PM

Gonna try to make a video showing what happens.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Banned

take off starter and test on bench...
Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 PM

Leave starter on the car and run a wire from the solenoid pigtail to battery positive to test the starter and cables. Bench test is not accurate as it does not apply a load or incorporate existing ground. Also use a test light to test start circuit.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:19 PM

SEARCH there are so many no start threads, and so few causes.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:46 PM

starters go bad all time
Old 04-18-2012, 05:52 PM

I made a video of the problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dZfA5RgQgs
Old 04-18-2012, 05:58 PM

I had the same situation and sound that your having then I found out that the main battery fuse was blown. I couldnt tell if it was blown or not but it was. I thought it was my starter but it was not. You must open the fuse box to lossen the main battery fuse. let me know what happens
Old 04-19-2012, 02:00 PM

I replaced the battery fuse and same problem persists. No change.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:15 PM

Have you tried tapping the starter with a screwdriver or something?
Old 04-19-2012, 05:54 PM

Have u check all the fuses underneath the hood?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by asand1
Leave starter on the car and run a wire from the solenoid pigtail to battery positive to test the starter and cables. Bench test is not accurate as it does not apply a load or incorporate existing ground. Also use a test light to test start circuit.

This.

Load test the starter. Verify its working.

If the starter is working but the car wont start, then u have an issue with the starter signal circuit.

First verify the starter is good.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
This.

If the starter is working but the car wont start, then u have an issue with the starter signal circuit.

Seems like the starter is working.

Our starting circuit is extreeemeeelllyyyy simple, so obviously a relay or some wiring needs to be attended to.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Seems like the starter is working.

Our starting circuit is extreeemeeelllyyyy simple, so obviously a relay or some wiring needs to be attended to.
Since Aack mang say the starter workin then it must be workin lol

jus messin man...

I cant see the video here at work.

If the start is indeed spinning then the starter ciruit must be examined. Im willing to be its the inhibitor relay.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Banned

This.

Has anyone seen a starter that worked on a bench but not under load? Cuz I havn't...

The ground is basically impossible to be bad.

I agree it is probably the relay. Just swap it with a known good relay and check to see if power is getting to the relay while you are there.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:06 AM

have you checked the 140a fuse under the hood? oh my bad i just read that you did in fact change it.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by FastnFuriousMax
The ground is basically impossible to be bad.
LoL. Its quite common for corrosion to develope between the starter and bellhousing, cuasing a poor connection. especially if the starter has ever been removed.

This doesnt look like a starter/circuit issue, but rather something bigger, affecting the entire electrical system. How is the negative batery cable grounding point under the battery tray? The small positive connections at the battery post clamp?

Last edited by asand1; 04-20-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by asand1
LoL. Its quite common for corrosion to develope between the starter and bellhousing, cuasing a poor connection. especially if the starter has ever been removed.

This doesnt look like a starter/circuit issue, but rather something bigger, affecting the entire electrical system. How is the negative batery cable grounding point under the battery tray? The small positive connections at the battery post clamp?
I'm not going to get into an argument about this. But I have never seen corrosion where the starter meets the bell housing. I have replaced over 20 starters on maximas...

I also have never seen a starter work on a bench put not work under load in a vehicle but I suppose it is possible.

OP: Fixing this problem shouldn't be so hard. grab a multimeter and get to work. Just trace the power and find out where it stops.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:32 AM

I'm not going to get into an argument about this. But I have never seen corrosion where the starter meets the bell housing. I have replaced over 20 starters on maximas...

I also have never seen a starter work on a bench put not work under load in a vehicle but I suppose it is possible.

OP: Fixing this problem shouldn't be so hard. grab a multimeter and get to work. Just trace the power and find out where it stops.

SEARCH.

There are plenty of reports of starters passing autozone bench test but not working under load. Its well documented.

Also, well documented on the org, is the importance of clean grounds on the max and how so many issues related to starting can be traced to poor grounding.

But im off topic...

OP,

As suggested before,

Load test the starter. If the starter spins, then your starter is fine. If it doesnt spin then the starter is toast.

If you bench test the starter, it may still spin because there is no load on it. The starter may just be "weak" or starting to wear out. The only real test is to test it under load as ASAND1 suggested.

Once u ascertain whether or not the starter is toast, THEN you can move onto testing the starting circuit.

Again, i am willing to bet the inhibitor relay is toast.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Banned

SEARCH.

There are plenty of reports of starters passing autozone bench test but not working under load. Its well documented.

Also, well documented on the org, is the importance of clean grounds on the max and how so many issues related to starting can be traced to poor grounding.

But im off topic...

OP,

As suggested before,

Load test the starter. If the starter spins, then your starter is fine. If it doesnt spin then the starter is toast.

If you bench test the starter, it may still spin because there is no load on it. The starter may just be "weak" or starting to wear out. The only real test is to test it under load as ASAND1 suggested.

Once u ascertain whether or not the starter is toast, THEN you can move onto testing the starting circuit.

Again, i am willing to bet the inhibitor relay is toast.
search? what is that? bad grounding? big 3? wha?

Figuring out why your starter isn't working should be a 10m process.

Last edited by FastnFuriousMax; 04-20-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:13 PM

Just got a voltmeter so most likely I'll find out whats wrong in the morning.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:45 PM
KH3 by popular demand

The ground strap/wire may be the issue. That engine bay is old and dirty, chances are it is not making a good connection any more. I recently dropped my tranny and upon reinstall I filed down the wire terminal surface that meets the tranny. The car starts like it did when I first bought it. The sound that is heard in the video sounds like the system is not getting enough voltage. The speakers popping also trend to a grounding issue. Take sand paper to the battery terminals, the battery cable terminals, the 12mm bolt surface where the ground wire comes from the chassis to go to the tranny and it should start. Many people replace batteries and starters only to have the problem continue later down the road.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:07 PM

Ended up being a ****ty starter, and some electrical problem causing the speakers to pop that I'm still looking into.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kretzmech
Ended up being a ****ty starter, and some electrical problem causing the speakers to pop that I'm still looking into.

and how did you determin the starter was bad?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:29 PM

Shoved a screw driver in to touch pos and neg spots on the starter. Got it spinning but it wouldnt engage the flywheel when I tried to start it. Pulled it apart lubed it up and then it started up. I have a wiring problem with my speakers but Im going to my friend who did the stereo wiring and owned the car before me look at it to see whats going on.