4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

And yet another NATS issue related to the 99 Maxima... :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:03 AM

And yet another NATS issue related to the 99 Maxima... :(

So yesterday when I got out of work from a local Best Buy, I tried to turn on the car and nothing would happen. It would start then die. It really surprised me in a sense since I had been up and down the entire city without an issue that day. Then I saw that security light light up solid red and I instantly knew what it was...

Here's the thing. I had taken the car to the Stealership about 6-7 months ago to fix this issue. According to them they put a new immobilizer unit in it and reprogrammed me some new keys and what-not all at my expense. They sure as hell nickel and dimed me day.

I have read at least 10 mothafucl<ing threads on this mothafucl<ing topic and my solution this very moment seems to be to call a locksmith and have him come over reprogram it. I know they need a very specific Consult II tool to do this for this maxima. In all honesty I would take it to the dealer but I dont want to tow it to them, then have to deal with those people again and then have them try to nickel-n-dime me again. At this point I would give them the middle finger instead.....

Now that is a temporary solution because I am almost positive this immobilizer NATS thing will act up again. THE THING IS BRAND NEW!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!

Now I am wondering about a more permanent solution such as a swap to an earlier ecu? I am running a 99 5speed manual with a 3.5 swap at the moment. I have been also reading up on this topic.

I know whlimi did a swap to a 95 ecu. The only thing I noticed about earlier ecus is they have slight differences. One of the main ones is the EGR is different among other changes. http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...p-success.html

I want to plan a long term solution for this so I dont ever have to deal with it again. I would like to hear what other 99 owners did and how they overcame this issue. Also any ecu swap info people can fill me in would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited by deloa84; 07-19-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:41 AM

Does AZ have inspections?

If so then swap in an earlier ECU... But if you have a way around it see below....

If not... Then check out the Megasquirt ECU thead and get you a standalone ecu!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:02 AM

Unfortunately there is inspections in the county I live in (Maricopa)... I might move out to a county not too far from here where there is not inspections (Pinal) but for now it has to be inspections/emissions ready...

I am actually subscribed to that thread... cant wait to see where it goes... I would definitely get it if I move out to Pinal...
Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 AM

Someone has to know the internals of a Maxima ECU. My guess would be that there must be a transistor or relay or whatever that you could bridge or jump inside the ECU. Maybe Jim Wolfe could sell instructions for a DIY mod??

Originally Posted by deloa84
Unfortunately there is inspections in the county I live in (Maricopa)... I might move out to a county not too far from here where there is not inspections (Pinal)
Go to the DMV and change your address to a buddies house. Send some bills to his house in your name for proof of residence (cell phone bill, and auto insurance for example).

Last edited by asand1; 07-18-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by asand1
Someone has to know the internals of a Maxima ECU. My guess would be that there must be a transistor or relay or whatever that you could bridge or jump inside the ECU. Maybe Jim Wolfe could sell instructions for a DIY mod??
I would much rather do that than to have to take it up the A** from nissan..

That is tempting... Although I am currently working on my credit and with the current housing market I may be in the market soon...
Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 AM

...Although I am currently working on my credit and with the current housing market I may be in the market soon...
Shameless plug:

www.creditinfocenter.com

I'm a mod over there, stop by and join in the forums there as well!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:41 AM

Shameless Plug Pt.2

My ECU + Key is for sale, just tape it near the Ig Cylinder and copy your key but w/o the transmitter.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Shameless Plug Pt.2

My ECU + Key is for sale, just tape it near the Ig Cylinder and copy your key but w/o the transmitter.

If its a 99 I am not interested. I am most likely going to get one that is not 99 to work my way around the NATS and be done with it.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:41 PM

Threads like this make me happy I don't have a 99.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
Old 07-18-2012, 09:57 PM

you just ain't man enough to handle the 99
Old 07-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Administrator

I currently own 4 99's and one 98. The 'AMB' button makes dealing with NATS all worth it.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
you just ain't man enough to handle the 99
QFTLOL
Old 07-18-2012, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard

The 'AMB' button makes dealing with NATS all worth it.
This may be a n00bish question but what is 'AMB' button?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Administrator

This may be a n00bish question but what is 'AMB' button?
Outside temperature display. Part of the electronic climate control only offered in 99's and up. Can be retrofitted into 98's with ECC.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:18 AM

another noob question - how do I retrofit this and what is ECC? electronic climate control?
Old 07-19-2012, 05:32 AM

Easiest way to do this is to swap to an earlier ecu... but doing so will require a rewire on the pins on the ecu harness for a few pins...this has been discussed many time but once the rewire is complete and your car starrs nats is gonzo..
Old 07-19-2012, 05:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would probably swap out the ecu and harness from a 98 max. I the long run, it looks to be the trouble free route to go.

I'm sure you can rewire the ecu pins instead of swapping the harness as mentioned earlier, but personally, i would just swap the wiring behind the dash since its so easy to find ow a days and you should be done in a day. Getting rid of the electronic EGR would be a plus also.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
I would probably swap out the ecu and harness from a 98 max. I the long run, it looks to be the trouble free route to go.

I'm sure you can rewire the ecu pins instead of swapping the harness as mentioned earlier, but personally, i would just swap the wiring behind the dash since its so easy to find ow a days and you should be done in a day. Getting rid of the electronic EGR would be a plus also.
That is what I am planning. I am holding off till tomorrow since I get paid then. I will look thru the junk yards to find manual ecu and egr I can just plug in so no code pops up. Maximas seem to be quite abundant here.

Out of all the codes my ecu is throwing, it did not throw an egr code...
Old 07-19-2012, 10:27 PM

So yesterday when I got out of work from a local Best Buy, I tried to turn on the car and nothing would happen. It would start then die. It really surprised me in a sense since I had been up and down the entire city without an issue that day. Then I saw that security light light up solid red and I instantly knew what it was...

Here's the thing. I had taken the car to the Stealership about 6-7 months ago to fix this issue. According to them they put a new immobilizer unit in it and reprogrammed me some new keys and what-not all at my expense. They sure as hell nickel and dimed me day.

I have read at least 10 mothafucl<ing threads on this mothafucl<ing topic and my solution this very moment seems to be to call a locksmith and have him come over reprogram it. I know they need a very specific Consult II tool to do this for this maxima. In all honesty I would take it to the dealer but I dont want to tow it to them, then have to deal with those people again and then have them try to nickel-n-dime me again. At this point I would give them the middle finger instead.....

Now that is a temporary solution because I am almost positive this immobilizer NATS thing will act up again. THE THING IS BRAND NEW!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!

Now I am wondering about a more permanent solution such as a swap to an earlier ecu? I am running a 99 5speed manual with a 3.5 swap at the moment. I have been also reading up on this topic.

I know whlimi did a swap to a 95 ecu. The only thing I noticed about earlier ecus is they have slight differences. One of the main ones is the EGR is different among other changes. http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...p-success.html

I want to plan a long term solution for this so I dont ever have to deal with it again. I would like to hear what other 99 owners did and how they overcame this issue. Also any ecu swap info people can fill me in would be greatly appreciated...
i would go back to the dealership and b!tch up a storm and make them fix it for free. they misdiagnosed your car dude.

they have to honer that. ask to speak to the service manager. we just hired a new tech at my dealership and he sucks. a lot of free work is going out of the door because customers b!tch

i know you dont want to deal with them but if you squak hard enough theyll fix it

Last edited by maxed_out_99; 07-19-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
i would go back to the dealership and b!tch up a storm and make them fix it for free. they misdiagnosed your car dude.

they have to honer that. ask to speak to the service manager. we just hired a new tech at my dealership and he sucks. a lot of free work is going out of the door because customers b!tch

i know you dont want to deal with them but if you squak hard enough theyll fix it
I did call the dealer that worked on my car and I tried to explain my situation as clearly as possible. I ask the guy on the phone how much it would be to reprogram the keys and the immobilizer. He did not give me a clear answer. He just kept saying to bring it in for them to look at it.I am not even sure he took me seriously since I sound young (..I am) I guess I will go down there in person and ask to speak with the service manager about it and I will definitely be more blunt about it. I should still be under warranty correct?

Even if I do go bezerk and they fix it for free how long will it be before I am back again with same issue? I read about this happening to many people on blogs/forums and correct me if I am wrong, at a certain time Nissan even considered recalling it. This is the third time it has happened to me but this time with a 7month old unit.

I just feel an older ecu would be the best LONG term solution. And also I wont have to deal with the Cali Spec emissions..

Thanks for the idea thought. I will definitely try it before I start tearing up wires but regardless I will still go with an earlier ecu...
Old 07-20-2012, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by nsnrider

Hrmm... Re-pinning two wires (5 minutes + ECU removal + Sitting in A/C looking at the wire pinouts and drawing a map to aid pin switching while in the car) or replacing the WHOLE ENGINE HARNESS (1hr + ECU Removal + Struggling w/ small spaces).

Old 07-20-2012, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard

I currently own 4 99's and one 98. The 'AMB' button makes dealing with NATS all worth it.
Damn Wiz, 5 4th gens? A different car everyday of the work week? Different colors also? This is a first for me. But as for the OP, they should not be charging you a lot since it is a new module and they did the work.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:43 AM

Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 AM

Picked up a 95 5speed ecu for $43 dollars just a couple minutes ago... I was going to take out the egr as well but it was 103 with 30% humidity

But now I can follow the writeup written by whlimi to the letter

Last edited by deloa84; 07-23-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:03 PM

When I first read about NATS I started to wonder if anyone has created a work around for it. I don't like the idea of MY car getting disabled when I go to use it.

I'm at work so I can't go play with it but I was looking through the FSM and found the relevant stuff:

Name:  qfuvv.png
Views: 157
Size:  52.3 KB

Looks like the only line of communication between the NATS and the ECM is that one pin. Pin 17. Seems a little too simple but lets take a voltmeter/oscilloscope and find out what kind of data it's sending to the ECM. Maybe we'll luck out and it just sends battery voltage when all is okay.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmac
When I first read about NATS I started to wonder if anyone has created a work around for it. I don't like the idea of MY car getting disabled when I go to use it.

I'm at work so I can't go play with it but I was looking through the FSM and found the relevant stuff:

Looks like the only line of communication between the NATS and the ECM is that one pin. Pin 17. Seems a little too simple but lets take a voltmeter/oscilloscope and find out what kind of data it's sending to the ECM. Maybe we'll luck out and it just sends battery voltage when all is okay.
I did see this when browsing through the FSM. I will def check the voltage of it while I am at it. I doubt is is a simple voltage signal. It must be some form of memory unit sending out data. Otherwise just disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it should have reset it, to my knowledge at least.

I know in my friend's Tahoe, something similar happened. All he did was disconnect the negative, wait and reconnect it and voila. I wish my 99 was that simple...
Old 07-20-2012, 01:01 PM

I'm thinking if simply replacing the ECM with a '95 one will make the whole thing work then it's all down to the ECM getting the proper signal from the NATS.

If I can figure out what that proper signal is, I can emulate it. I'll have to play with it on sunday when I get out to work on my car. Now I'm kinda scared to play with it though by the off chance I somehow **** off the NATS.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:04 PM

Well, after some bad weather, work getting in the way, I finally completed the swap to a 95 ECM. I did get a bit lazy and did not take any pictures.

As soon as it started it definitely felt alot smoother. Security light is solid but IDC. Now I have a 99 manual ecu that I am going to sell if anybody wants it.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:19 PM

SO how many pins did you actually move..i got a 99...no NATS problems...but im running a fed spec engine from a 97 and would like to put my 97 fed spec ecu in sometime soon...99 cali spec ecu and emissions wont pass my 97 engine lol
Old 07-23-2012, 07:07 PM

Lets see I followed the instructions posted by whlimi to the letter since I just got lucky and found a 95 ecu manual at the jy. http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...p-success.html

Now if youre doing a 97 more than likely the pins are going to be the same according to pmohr pinout cheat sheets I used as a reference. http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...0-px-wide.html The pinouts on the 99 I referred to my FSM.

When I get a chance I will post a picture of the pinout I used for my 99....

Last edited by deloa84; 07-23-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:26 PM

Here is the pinout for the 99...

Here is a close up...

Last edited by deloa84; 07-23-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:50 PM

i have an oem 95 manuel ecu for sale brand new. taken it out of the box onbe to look at it. pm me if ur interested

Edit: im an idi0t and didnt read post 25 nvm

Last edited by Kuhn_man; 07-23-2012 at 09:06 PM.