4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2 Questions for the pro Maxima owners.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2 Questions for the pro Maxima owners.

Hey guys! I've been stalking in the shadows reading posts for a few days now but today I finally had a questions so I made an account to post it.

I recently got the maxima 97 its my first car and im fixing a few things, first of all the speedometer stoped working but when I smack the dashboard it comes back to life. I read a guide (here) on how to to remove it and went to a junk yard to get my part.

I installed the unit and the speedometer started working, but (damn it lol) the RPM gauge doesn't work right it kind of gags cant think of the right word to describe it. Finally and before all this started happening (3 days ago) I went to fill up the tank and the gas needle got stuck and never came back down.

So my question is the following, my needle doesn't go down when I turn off my car, and its not the gauges because both the old one and the replacement do it. I took it apart and moved the needle down tot the bottom when the car was off but when I turn it on it jumps back and stays there. I just got the car so I'm hoping its a feature and not a problem with my car? are all 4th gens like that?

Finally I saw a 99(i think) dash board in the junk yard and it has a digital counter (the one you reset for trips to see how much you travel) but the rest of the board is the same. I guess is common senses to think they wont work digital =!= analog but hey I can dream right?

Well those are my questions, thank you for your time and pardon my broken English. (btw awesome forum I've found so many cool things here)

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...65334047_o.jpg (hopefully you can see that pic)

1997 Maxima GLE

Last edited by Julio Mansilla; 08-13-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 PM

the fuel level sensor is located under you back seat on the bottem piece there are two tabs so to say that you pull out an it comes right off. unscrew the pump and it pulls right out, its probly just stuck. as far as the dash goes its possible you have a loose wire but more than likely your junkyard part is junk. try a different one and report back
Old 08-13-2012, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Julio Mansilla
Hey guys! I've been stalking in the shadows reading posts for a few days now but today I finally had a questions so I made an account to post it.

I recently got the maxima 97 its my first car and im fixing a few things, first of all the speedometer stoped working but when I smack the dashboard it comes back to life. I read a guide (here) on how to to remove it and went to a junk yard to get my part.

I installed the unit and the speedometer started working, but (damn it lol) the RPM gauge doesn't work right it kind of gags cant think of the right word to describe it. Finally and before all this started happening (3 days ago) I went to fill up the tank and the gas needle got stuck and never came back down.

So my question is the following, my needle doesn't go down when I turn off my car, and its not the gauges because both the old one and the replacement do it. I took it apart and moved the needle down tot the bottom when the car was off but when I turn it on it jumps back and stays there. I just got the car so I'm hoping its a feature and not a problem with my car? are all 4th gens like that?

Finally I saw a 99(i think) dash board in the junk yard and it has a digital counter (the one you reset for trips to see how much you travel) but the rest of the board is the same. I guess is common senses to think they wont work digital =!= analog but hey I can dream right?

Well those are my questions, thank you for your time and pardon my broken English. (btw awesome forum I've found so many cool things here)

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...65334047_o.jpg (hopefully you can see that pic)

1997 Maxima GLE
The gas gauge is meant to stay put when you shut the car off. It will not fall to "E" when off. As long as it shows what you have for fuel in the tank, it sounds like it is working properly.

Cluster for 95, 96 and 97 are the only ones that will work for you. 98 & 99 are digital, as you noticed.

As for the tach, it worked in your old one yes?? If so, just take your old one out and put in in your one with the working speedo. Look at the back of the cluster and you will see a couple of small screws. Those hold the tach in. Just unscrew them and swap the non working tach for the working tach.

Since you are new, see the links in my sig for more helpful sections. Hope this helps.

Edit: Just looked at your pic. The cluster in your passenger seat, is that the one you got from the junkyard or the one that was in the car? Thats an SE cluster so your car may be an SE not GLE. Are both of your clusters white faced?

Last edited by 2brosgixxer; 08-13-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by 2brosgixxer
The gas gauge is meant to stay put when you shut the car off. It will not fall to "E" when off. As long as it shows what you have for fuel in the tank, it sounds like it is working properly.
i completely forgot about that lol my bad
Old 08-14-2012, 05:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

First of all thank you both for your answers its good to know that my car does that I didn't check when I got it for the first time so I was freaking out.

My car came with a white cluster but I have no idea if it was ever replaced, I said it was a GLE because online it says that the GLE comes with an automatic transmission duck tail and sunroof, Thats all the proof I have is there any way to check? (a serial number or a hidden sticker?)

EDIT: Found the hidden sticker! (Why not put all the info in a place I wonder) my car is a SE! That doesn't sound nearly as cool as a 3 letter name...

Well ill go to the junk yard today and grab the SE dashboard I found and return the GLE one. (Maybe thats why the RPMs dont work right? I dont really care about them but hey if I'm going to fix it i might as well fix it right! I dont want the thing to crap out on me in a month or so)

Last edited by Julio Mansilla; 08-14-2012 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Googled the answer
Old 08-14-2012, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Julio Mansilla
First of all thank you both for your answers its good to know that my car does that I didn't check when I got it for the first time so I was freaking out.

My car came with a white cluster but I have no idea if it was ever replaced, I said it was a GLE because online it says that the GLE comes with an automatic transmission duck tail and sunroof, Thats all the proof I have is there any way to check? (a serial number or a hidden sticker?)
Yeah go to the faq section and it will tell you exactly. One way to tell is the se came with a body color grill and doors handles. The gxe and gle came with chrome. Of course, there are more, I just listed one
Old 08-14-2012, 06:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you! found it a few minutes after making the post I just spent the last 20 minutes on the edit window fighting with the image host site trying to display the picture! (My car is a SE)

EDIT: final pics.

Everything works ! Thank you once again guys!

Last edited by Julio Mansilla; 08-14-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Proud of his GroceryGetter!!!!

Yep