4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2 tone paint job on 1998 max???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kuhn_man
did i say i paid someone to paint it no. i did it when i was 16. i bought a gallon of paint that costed me $140. i bought a sprayer an air compressor. a sander a whole bunch of paper and tape. i spent 5 days sanding the car cleaning, washing, and preping the car with some type of surface cleaner ment for preping it that i bought at a chevy body shop. my biggest mistake was not having an air dryer for my comressor and had to much moisture in the lines. it i did the same thing for the black on the bottem. it held up fine for over a year but between the gravel and salt it ruined it. i like how it looks color wise but ive always hated how ****ty it turned out. thew out most of this thread with every one ripping on my car no one bothered to ask how it was done or if i even liked how the quality turned out. GGENIUSE im sure sence you say you work at a body shop knows what happens when there is lots of humidity in the air and moisture in the lines to the paint no matter how much prep there is
.......right, so you think that anybody here is going to believe you did that with a air compressor and did some sanding? like do you think we cant see the pictures you posted up there? We can see the gold through the rock chips on your bumper. Yea you did some GREAT sanding and prepping.

And nobody asked how you did it because it looks terrible and we know you bought spray paint from Lowes or home depot.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:49 PM

i feel like were in middle school at the lunch table. kids lyin makin up stories.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:54 PM

....oh god..... Idirty is kinda gay....
Old 09-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Got Retrofit?

And I'm out..

Old 09-26-2012, 03:59 PM

Lol.

We all heart DB! See you Saturday bro....

And nobody can top the idirty's two tone but you can try I guess. Just make it look tasteful OP
Old 09-26-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by alexx0108
Lol.

We all heart DB! See you Saturday bro....

And nobody can top the idirty's two tone but you can try I guess. Just make it look tasteful OP

I do believe I can make it tasteful. Did anyone else notice how strong people feel on the two tone? Its a love/hate thing, no middle ground here.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by litch
I do believe I can make it tasteful. Did anyone else notice how strong people feel on the two tone? Its a love/hate thing, no middle ground here.
if anything, do the two tone lip kit thing. it works for the panda max. do it with another color.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:27 PM

That only works with cf. I say keep it all one color
Old 09-26-2012, 04:30 PM

he seems pretty hell bent
Old 09-26-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
so you bought just a gallon of paint? it was single stage? or did you just spray base and not bother with clearcoat? because there is like no finish on the lower color at all
well idiot me mixed the hardener and paint right away without realizing it would gel up on me with the lid closed so i got a two layers done and let it dry while i went to work. i got back and everything was gel so i said **** it cleaned up the gun and did the black. i had plans to put on the clear but sence i didnt have the budget to get another gallon of paint and wasnt finished with base color i put it on hold. never had the motivation to finish it after that. i plan on buying a 300zx or a 97 f350 in the comming months so i dont care how the car looks any more.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:13 PM

he seems pretty hell bent
Its more like, Im gonna two tone my car, the question is what is the most astetically pleasing without ripping off someone elses swag. I have tried to avoid the beaten path with alot of my work to this car. I dont think anyone swapped the way i did. I know no one has my dash. I swapped a infinity I30 5spd into it instead of the sentra 6spd...
so its going to be a unique color scheme, so no panda, and no idirty.

I was trying to keep the stock champagne just out of being frugal, I figure there has to be a 2 tone color combo that will work with that... I need queer eye for the straight car... fml...
Old 09-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
.......right, so you think that anybody here is going to believe you did that with a air compressor and did some sanding? like do you think we cant see the pictures you posted up there? We can see the gold through the rock chips on your bumper. Yea you did some GREAT sanding and prepping.we know you bought spray paint from Lowes or home depot.
you can see the gold because i painted the whole car before i did the black. i wasnt about to tape off the bottem that would have been a waste of time. and i bought the paint from napa. i cant remember the name. i think it was a 3m company but it was an aftermarket auto paint and was not spray paint.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:31 PM

Its more like, Im gonna two tone my car, the question is what is the most astetically pleasing without ripping off someone elses swag. I have tried to avoid the beaten path with alot of my work to this car. I dont think anyone swapped the way i did. I know no one has my dash. I swapped a infinity I30 5spd into it instead of the sentra 6spd...
so its going to be a unique color scheme, so no panda, and no idirty.

I was trying to keep the stock champagne just out of being frugal, I figure there has to be a 2 tone color combo that will work with that... I need queer eye for the straight car... fml...
it helps to draw it out on paper so that way you can make changes before you start painting
Old 09-26-2012, 06:54 PM

well idiot me mixed the hardener and paint right away without realizing it would gel up on me with the lid closed so i got a two layers done and let it dry while i went to work. i got back and everything was gel so i said **** it cleaned up the gun and did the black. i had plans to put on the clear but sence i didnt have the budget to get another gallon of paint and wasnt finished with base color i put it on hold. never had the motivation to finish it after that. i plan on buying a 300zx or a 97 f350 in the comming months so i dont care how the car looks any more.
base coat doesnt use a hardener. it uses a reducer and doesnt ever gel up. you can keep basecoat for months. clearcoat uses a hardener.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 PM

you can see the gold because i painted the whole car before i did the black. i wasnt about to tape off the bottem that would have been a waste of time. and i bought the paint from napa. i cant remember the name. i think it was a 3m company but it was an aftermarket auto paint and was not spray paint.
you said you bought one gallon of paint. for $140. so which was it black or gold?
Old 09-26-2012, 06:59 PM

it helps to draw it out on paper so that way you can make changes before you start painting
hahaha....you have no idea how funny that is to me... i would lose a drawing contest to an autistic 2 year old.. maybe i will try using a video game with a large customizable library.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:13 PM

base coat doesnt use a hardener. it uses a reducer and doesnt ever gel up. you can keep basecoat for months. clearcoat uses a hardener.
i remember my dad saying the same thing. but i clearly remember it saying it needed a hardener. once i get off of work and to a computer ill see if i can look it up for you. and i bought a gallon of the gold. well champange pearl as it said on the lable. and the black came from a chevy body shop/collision center (excuse the spelling) im not sure exactly how much if i had to guess maby two quarts. i ended up not needing it all
Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 PM

hahaha....you have no idea how funny that is to me... i would lose a drawing contest to an autistic 2 year old.. maybe i will try using a video game with a large customizable library.
lol. print a picture of the side profile of your car and use crayons and a ruler
Old 09-26-2012, 07:18 PM

Name:  InBeforeTheLock.gif
Views: 142
Size:  2.91 MB
Old 09-26-2012, 07:31 PM

yes I thought about it, but that's purely asthetic and expensive and I am a long way from making a yes or no on that one
yea thats true you can vinyl wrap it thatd look hot with a gloss black i have a cf hood on my tsx oem style and its awesome i keep it in the shade tho cause i dont want it to fade and i just bought my max and it had a evo style cf hood and its all ugly green and spotty i might just vinyl wrap it or get it paint matched
Old 09-27-2012, 05:22 AM

If you are going to try it....plastidip that sh-t. That way when you regret it you can just peal it right off!

Youa re talking about a $5-600 CF hood being out of your budget....just realize prep materials and paint aren't cheap and if you cheap out you are going to get cheap results.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:56 AM

i remember my dad saying the same thing. but i clearly remember it saying it needed a hardener. once i get off of work and to a computer ill see if i can look it up for you. and i bought a gallon of the gold. well champange pearl as it said on the lable. and the black came from a chevy body shop/collision center (excuse the spelling) im not sure exactly how much if i had to guess maby two quarts. i ended up not needing it all
Old 09-27-2012, 09:59 AM

Rattle cans.....
Old 09-27-2012, 10:57 AM

Hahahaha! rattle cans.... max... re read what I said about the cf hood... I never said it was too expensive... I said they are expensive and purely cosmetic... I don't plan on doing a half a$* job, and by that I should clarify that I'm not gonna do sh*t other than come up w/ the scheme and have a professional paint it, then pay them. I will get it done right. end of.story.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:01 AM

meanwhile ill be painting my cars at home at cost
Old 09-27-2012, 11:09 AM

well napa and 3m dont have any paint products on there website. ill keep looking but im not sure
Old 09-27-2012, 04:52 PM

meanwhile ill be painting my cars at home at cost
ahh if only all were so fortunate, seriously, I could do it at home at cost i would do wonders. BTW genious what do you know about the flat or matte paints?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:40 PM

ahh if only all were so fortunate, seriously, I could do it at home at cost i would do wonders. BTW genious what do you know about the flat or matte paints?
what do i know about them? well i know that its a little harder to spray as far as tiger stripes go. need more technique, rather than regular base/clear combos which the clearcoat pretty much covers up any dry spots you might have in the base.

another misconception is that there isnt any clearcoat on all matte finishes. a matte clear exists and is recommended for uv and weather protection.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:11 PM

Have you worked with em personally?
and as a professional do you know if the quality suffers from gloss to matte?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:14 PM

ive only done one matte paint job and it was a bike gas tank.

as long as its done right matte finish can last as long as gloss finish paint. but caring for it is not as easy. from what ive heard its more delicate to scrubbing and any sort of polish.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:17 PM

meaning that it tarnishes and.scratches easier? and what about polishes? meaning they will degrade the paint?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:44 PM

you ever think of vinyl wrapping your hood? i hear its easy and must not be too hard i tinted windows b4 and they said its way easier so i might wrap my carbon fiber hood since its faded
Old 09-27-2012, 08:57 PM

Paint it like a Quest...It's your's!
Old 09-28-2012, 02:06 AM

[ 2quote=CMax03;8620168]Paint it like a Quest...It's your's![/quote]

lol @ this... aren't quests just silver? it will be 2 tone.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by MaxFiyah
you ever think of vinyl wrapping your hood? i hear its easy and must not be too hard i tinted windows b4 and they said its way easier so i might wrap my carbon fiber hood since its faded
vinyl wrapping is easiest with 2 sets of hands, and a completely clean environment. the tiniest bit of dirt will make your wrap look ****ty.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:13 AM

meaning that it tarnishes and.scratches easier? and what about polishes? meaning they will degrade the paint?
i dunno about scratching easier. but paint tries to shine all on its own, flat or not. if you do anything that could polish paint, it makes the flat finish look weird. almost oxidized.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:44 AM

@ this thread...yal terrible
Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 AM

honestly as ricer as this sounds one of thos skyline decals would look cool on a silver 4th gen lol imo
Old 09-28-2012, 09:52 AM

i painted my car with "aftermarket" KH3. why isnt mine chipping? oh thats right because a paintjob is like 80% prep and pretty much nothing to do with OEM or aftermarket paint?

its clear as ****in day that little prep work was done before that car was sprayed, and if you worked in a body shop you should be able to recognize a **** prep job.
So my shop doesnt do prep work? Look at the front of 95% of nissan/infiniti cars and they have hella rock chips. IDK WHAT HE DID, but it's something to consider in your determination.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by MaxFiyah
honestly as ricer as this sounds one of thos skyline decals would look cool on a silver 4th gen lol imo
uhhhhh under no circumstances will there be skyline badging on my car, unless I swap it to the twin turbo inline 6 change it to all wheel drive, and somehow remove my back doors... its a maxima and its proud to be a maxima

Quick Reply: 2 tone paint job on 1998 max???