4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My first Car will be a Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:25 AM

Hey does anyone know if the 97 GLE maximas are bigger than the regular 98 maximas?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:36 AM

i would assume they are the same size
Old 09-28-2012, 09:37 AM

i use bp in the maximas i owned cause its cheaper and it runs good but exxon runs the best but its more expensive by me but always premium no matter waht
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by QworbO
Hey does anyone know if the 97 GLE maximas are bigger than the regular 98 maximas?
are all these new people the same retard making a thousand accounts? i cant fathom these questions are real....
Old 09-28-2012, 10:42 AM

Hey, GGenius, everybody isnt up to par with your "genius" so calm down bro. Its a legitimate question.

My friend has an 97 SE and it looks a little bit bigger than mines.
*edit*
I just looked at Edmunds and this is what I got:

1998 maxima exterior:
  • Maximum towing capacity: 1000 lbs.
  • Height: 55.7 in.
  • Length: 189.4 in.
1997 Maxima GLE exterior:
  • Width: 69.7 in.
  • Length: 187.7 in.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 AM

cars with the exact same chasis and body.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:47 PM

Hey, GGenius, everybody isnt up to par with your "genius" so calm down bro. Its a legitimate question.

*edit*

1998 maxima exterior:
o **** lol :P
Old 09-28-2012, 10:38 PM

*edit*

1998 maxima exterior:

Don't worry bro, You will get flamed by douche bags that just like rip on new ppl from time to time. Nothin personal prolly just menstruating. You should thank him for the informative and conclusive post.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:23 PM

Hey thanks for all the help from everbody. I wish I could one up you or something!
I have a question. Is it normal for th e oil and battery light to light up when you are turning the engine on? It lights up but dissapears when the engine is on. The only thing that is lit up now is my check engine light. I just got an oil change so I seriously doubt something is wrong with my oil. I just want to make sure this is normal for those lights to light up as I turn the engine on.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:40 PM

Hey thanks for all the help from everbody. I wish I could one up you or something!
I have a question. Is it normal for th e oil and battery light to light up when you are turning the engine on? It lights up but dissapears when the engine is on. The only thing that is lit up now is my check engine light. I just got an oil change so I seriously doubt something is wrong with my oil. I just want to make sure this is normal for those lights to light up as I turn the engine on.
yes it's normal. It's the "bulb check". The check engine light does the same thing. If you keep the key in the ON position (do not start the car) the oil and battery lights will stay on.

If your check engine light is still on with the car started (sounds like it is) get your codes checked.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a '97 and an '05. Love them.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:49 PM

yea its normal if i were you i would check the spark plugs and clean the filter, and all but maybe you can even call the past owner and ask him to be honest with you and you just want to know if there are any issues that should recieve attention. i have asked sometimes it works sometime the owner doesnt want to say whats wrong still cause they may have lied at the time of the sale but it does hurt. ask questions like when was the last time it has a tune up, did he have any sensors changed, what gas he used, what kind of oil, and whatever other stuff u have questions about. goodluck
Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 PM

Hey thanks for the responses, im researching how to do the spark plug etc by myself... but

anyways the crziest thing happened today!

I discovered something I had no idea about on my car. When the key was OUT of the ignition...i pressed my door locks twice on the drivers side armrest and the engine turned on by itself! HOLY FU**! I had no idea my car could do this. On a side note, Im not sure if the car will drive like that or what, but i turned it on and off that way without a key. Im kind of worried about it though,since if anybody knows about this,it could be easier to steal my car but wow what a surprise! is this standard for 4th gen Maximas? And should I get this turned off and how? I have googled this and cant find anything. Maybe it has a technical term i dont know of? I have googled:"98 Maxima Door lock starts engine" and nothing comes up...

Last edited by QworbO; 10-04-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 PM

Hey thanks for the responses, im researching how to do the spark plug etc by myself... but

anyways the crziest thing happened today!

I discovered something I had no idea about on my car. When the key was OUT of the ignition...i pressed my door locks twice and the engine turned on by itself! HOLY FU**! I had no idea my car could do this. On a side note, Im not sure if the car will drive like that or what, but i turned it on and off that way without a key. Im kind of worried about it though,since if anybody knows about this,it could be easier to steal my car but wow what a surprise! is this standard for 4th gen Maximas? And should I get this turned off and how? I have googled this and cant find anything. Maybe it has a technical term i dont know of? I have googled:"98 Maxima Door lock starts engine" and nothing comes up...
i do not believe that is supposed to happen. ive never tried it.

didnt i ask you before if there is aftermarket remote start installed and you said yes??
Old 10-04-2012, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
i do not believe that is supposed to happen. ive never tried it.

didnt i ask you before if there is aftermarket remote start installed and you said yes??
Hey GGenius I do remember you asking that but I mustve gotten a bit confused .

When I got the car from the seller, he hadnt made mention of it. Everything I have learned about my car I have learned from trial and error. If I aid yes to your question it was probably because I thought Physical remote access was standard. Bbut since I do not have a remote of any sort and just a key to start the car, i am very surprised about this!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 AM

Hey does anyone know if there is an advantage or disadvantage in getting slightly bigger wheels on the 4th gens? I really dont like the stock rims on my Maxi and Ive been thinking about getting those 5th GEN SE Stock rims but those are 17's. WIll this fit on a 4th gen and what would be the pros and cons of this upgrade besides the aesthetic?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:19 AM

Hey does anyone know if there is an advantage or disadvantage in getting slightly bigger wheels on the 4th gens? I really dont like the stock rims on my Maxi and Ive been thinking about getting those 5th GEN SE Stock rims but those are 17's. WIll this fit on a 4th gen and what would be the pros and cons of this upgrade besides the aesthetic?
look in the tires and wheels section.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 AM

its been done so im sure itll fit and honestly itll look great on a 4th gen! good choice
Old 10-15-2012, 01:14 AM

Is there a general guideline for getting the proper wheel and tires for my car?
I am looking at these to go along with some 2002 SE rims:
http://discounttires.com/product_det...FWjhQgodQlgAiQ
Old 11-16-2012, 01:02 AM

About a week after I got my Maxi she got a CEL.

Today something funny happened.

I was about to pull into Auto Zone to get the CEL checked and when I looked at the dash,the CEL had dissapeared! Wtf? It has been gone ever since and I quickly pulled put of the Auto Zone parking lot lmao! Any idea what this is about? Should I get it checked anyway?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:50 AM

About a week after I got my Maxi she got a CEL.

Today something funny happened.

I was about to pull into Auto Zone to get the CEL checked and when I looked at the dash,the CEL had dissapeared! Wtf? It has been gone ever since and I quickly pulled put of the Auto Zone parking lot lmao! Any idea what this is about? Should I get it checked anyway?
Yes.....I Also I suggest you invest in at least a code reader and stay far away from Autozone...and their attractive low prices.....Those attractive low prices bring many headaches and misery! check out partgeek.com or go Napa or OEM....**** AZ!