4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Lowering w/ coilovers questions/problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 AM

Lowering w/ coilovers questions/problems

I installed a set of BC racing coilovers on my 98 Max about 5000 miles ago. They work great, don't squeak or anything. Overall I am very happy with the increased performance of the suspension. However, I am seeing all these pics of the 4th gen slammed almost to the ground. When I went that low, I would get bottoming out and clunking from the rear, sometimes from the front if it was a big bump. I then started raising it until I didn't hear any more noises. It is now only an inch or so lower than stock. How are you guys overcoming these problems? I think the rear axle was hitting the body and making the noise.

Also, I am getting a vibration at 75-80mph. I'm thinking its the axles being at a different angle and causing this.....any help would be appreciated because I love the look of it lowered.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Just the tip.

That clunking noise in the back you were hearing is probably the rear beam hitting the exhaust. Replace the worn rubber hangers or use band clamps around them to pull them snug. As for vibration...yeah thats gonna be axles.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 AM

I just installed mine (D2). This was my first coilover install. I'm not getting any weird sounds or rubbing.

I'm dropped about 3". It definitely takes more finesse to drive a car this low on bad roads (we've got our share). You can't pound through potholes and dips like you used to at 4x4 height. I had a low Celica before and have been through this before, but if it's your first lowered car, it can be an adjustment.

Is your damping too light? If you are bottoming, that's where I'd look first. Also, you know that to adjust the ride height, you adjust the bracket height, not the adjuster that holds the bottom of the spring, right?

As far as the high speed vibes, that could be CV, a tire issue or even an alignment issue.

I replaced almost everything in my front end and have a minor vibration at 20mph when on the gas, but no other issues as speeds increase though.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 AM

u also have to make sure the springs are very tite before u adjust the damper (spring load) make sure u cant shake it with ur hands.U also adjust the damper depending on how much extra weight would be in the car. I live in nyc worst roads i ever seen and i have extra 250 pounds of music in the trunk ksport coilovers no bottom out and its not a bouncy ride u hardly feel the weight only on big bumps. coilovers r way far apart from shocks.