4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

this is not an easy one: leak at block and timing cover after headgasket+pump fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:32 PM

this is not an easy one: leak at block and timing cover after headgasket+pump fix

I bought a 95 maxima with a blown headgasket and the engine top end of the engine was in the trunk with the bolts in cans, and so on.. I put it back together and get it running but coolant leaked from the weep hole so I tore it down until the front cover was off again and got a newly reman pump and it leaked though the weep hole, I blocked off one of the weep holes and blew through to the impeller shaft so I returned it and got a free upgrade to the best pump and installed it with oil on the outer seal and some coolant on the inner and installed it slowly and straight and when I tried to top of the radiator it poured out of the weep hole so I reinstalled it several times and finally determined that the leak appeared to be coming from between the rear cover and the block so I Removed the rear cover and scraped the sealer and resealed and same and again and the same .... I could squirt water from a turkey baster behind the waterpump area and it would disappear and out of weep hole area. So now I have sealed the inside lip and the little chanel/groove at the bottom and thats where I'm. At... waiting for it to dry to see if it is where leak is coming from... I am working in my driveway, no lift. My question is how many seals are between the rear cover and the block? I have two oil seals installed. And among the random not applicable nuts, bolts and nails that were in the cans was a small screw plug wth a square head - is this from the car/block and that's my leak? Or?

Last edited by carcollector; 10-23-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:27 AM

does the engine burn coolant? i would do a compression test. the engine may have overheated when the head gasket blew and possibly warped the head. if its warped bad enough it may have slightly bent the cam. best bet would be to get a new head and cams for that side of the engine.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by carcollector
I bought a 95 maxima with a blown headgasket and the engine top end of the engine was in the trunk with the bolts in cans, and so on.. I put it back together and get it running but coolant leaked from the weep hole so I tore it down until the front cover was off again and got a newly reman pump and it leaked though the weep hole, I blocked off one of the weep holes and blew through to the impeller shaft so I returned it and got a free upgrade to the best pump and installed it with oil on the outer seal and some coolant on the inner and installed it slowly and straight and when I tried to top of the radiator it poured out of the weep hole so I reinstalled it several times and finally determined that the leak appeared to be coming from between the rear cover and the block so I Removed the rear cover and scraped the sealer and resealed and same and again and the same .... I could squirt water from a turkey baster behind the waterpump area and it would disappear and out of weep hole area. So now I have sealed the inside lip and the little chanel/groove at the bottom and thats where I'm. At... waiting for it to dry to see if it is where leak is coming from... I am working in my driveway, no lift. My question is how many seals are between the rear cover and the block? I have two oil seals installed. And among the random not applicable nuts, bolts and nails that were in the cans was a small screw plug wth a square head - is this from the car/block and that's my leak? Or?
Just out of curiosity, why not get another engine and swap? VQ's are pretty cheap

Nissan OEM water pump or bust. Aftermarket water pumps have failed on several people and this one is already giving you trouble during install. I'd return it and get one from nissan. Try nissanpartsasap.com, its a nissan dealer in TN that has really good prices.

FYI: Don't use remanufactured water pumps either always go new. Cooling is all to important