4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1999 Nissan Maxima SE, guillotine by hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kuhn_man
are you really that stupid? do you even work on cars. a prop doesnt have infinite safety and life, they bend and they fail ive seen it my fair share of times.

you must be the type of guy who gets in your car and drives down the road with this flat *** tire because you dont check anything before you use it, then b1tch about how tires still take air and a solid rubber tire wouldnt have that problem.

get real buddy things wear out that why we fix them, the struts when new were more than strong enough to hold up the hood, im sure nissan figured if people were dumb enough to go under the hood with bad struts they deserved to be smacked in the head.
not to mention, the dudes talkin about rigging another cars hood prop under ours. yeah thats gonna be completely fool proof right? considering none of the prop rods mounting points are there for it to rest securely. great argument hes got there
Old 11-03-2012, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
when youre doin a bunch of work under the hood, you dont rest tool all over the inside of the bay, for when you know youll need them again soon? in precise grooves of course.
no lol I meant I do it almost every time
Old 11-03-2012, 04:47 PM

tweaked more customer hoods than i care to admit slamming my clip tool right by the fender in my early years lol. fortunately a nice plop down on my bum on the tweaked side and wah-lah, never happened.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 AM

Nuttin beats a lightweight broom pipe.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:50 AM

when youre doin a bunch of work under the hood, you dont rest tool all over the inside of the bay, for when you know youll need them again soon? in precise grooves of course.
My engine bay is kind of like a tool box at this point..............
Old 11-04-2012, 07:33 AM

babies... Just use a piece of 2x4 between the hood and a mounting point on the fuel rail or lim. I sharpied "NISMO" with a red "o" on my piece of wood lmao
Old 11-04-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kuhn_man
are you really that stupid? do you even work on cars. a prop doesnt have infinite safety and life, they bend and they fail ive seen it my fair share of times.

you must be the type of guy who gets in your car and drives down the road with this flat *** tire because you dont check anything before you use it, then b1tch about how tires still take air and a solid rubber tire wouldnt have that problem.

get real buddy things wear out that why we fix them, the struts when new were more than strong enough to hold up the hood, im sure nissan figured if people were dumb enough to go under the hood with bad struts they deserved to be smacked in the head.
Worked on the same toyota car for 9 years with a hood prop. Never once got in the way and never bent. The only reason a steel rod would bend is from misuse or abuse. My join date has nothing to do with my previous experience on vehicles. It may have to do with the fact that I bought a maxima a month ago and my hood struts are failing, while my hood prop lasted the life of my 20 year old vehicle and had its fair share of abuse.

Don't get me wrong, I already love the maxima, but without a proper backup stop, hood struts in general are a poor means of supporting the hood in terms of expense and longevity.

Oh, and btw, the reason I responded that way earlier was cuz I don't think the dude should have been called a dumbass because it could have happened to anyone considering its an extremely common occurrence with hood struts that don't have a backup support. You put the hood up, it seems to stay, you proceed to check your oil, and as you are looking at the dipstick, the hood ever so slowly starts creeping down until the strut reaches the critical acceleration angle, and then WHAM! Concussion.

Last edited by ct27gt; 11-04-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:44 AM
boost me.....

I use an aluminum lacrosse stick with no head on it!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by ct27gt
Worked on the same toyota car for 9 years with a hood prop. Never once got in the way and never bent. The only reason a steel rod would bend is from misuse or abuse. My join date has nothing to do with my previous experience on vehicles. It may have to do with the fact that I bought a maxima a month ago and my hood struts are failing, while my hood prop lasted the life of my 20 year old vehicle and had its fair share of abuse.

Don't get me wrong, I already love the maxima, but without a proper backup stop, hood struts in general are a poor means of supporting the hood in terms of expense and longevity.

Oh, and btw, the reason I responded that way earlier was cuz I don't think the dude should have been called a dumbass because it could have happened to anyone considering its an extremely common occurrence with hood struts that don't have a backup support. You put the hood up, it seems to stay, you proceed to check your oil, and as you are looking at the dipstick, the hood ever so slowly starts creeping down until the strut reaches the critical acceleration angle, and then WHAM! Concussion.
as i said before. you put the hood up. you see that its got struts. you then press back down on the hood to see if any sort of force will cause the hood struts to fail. if that happens, you place a rod in there to protect yourself. its elementary my son.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:37 AM

oh i get it. you all must be the kinda fellows who turn the shower on, and hop right in genitals first, without testing the temperature of the water.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:13 PM

Thank you for the heads up guys, I've never had the hood fall down on me (yet) but its nice to know well ahead of time that it might someday.

But I am also one of those slow pokes who raises the hood then make sure that its all the way up and stable before diving it. It takes longer than the time it would take to lift a rod to secure it but no rush for me!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:24 PM

I bought a pair of Monroe's hood struts for $16 each. Its been 2 years since I bought them on Amazon and no issues. I don't see what's the problem here. They are cheap and easy to replace
Old 11-09-2012, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ct27gt
dont get me wrong ive smashed my finger in my hood before to. i knew they were going bad but thought it would be fine. that being said if youve worked on cars that you should know to check things before going under them. i dont put a car on a lift and then walk on under. i check it to make sure its solid before anything gets done. and with a new strut the critical acceleration angle is almost closed. if any wind can close your hood than your struts are failing.

edit: when mine hit me i was super pissed off about it. but i wasnt mad at nissan i was mad at myself for being an idiot
Old 11-09-2012, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by CallMeThatOneGuy
My engine bay is kind of like a tool box at this point..............

so is mine when i work on it...but some one elses car i try not to because they drive off with it when you leave something in it..and we all know how expensive tools are
Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 AM

Mine would stay up for about 2 minutes and then decide to give out. Having gone to the junkyard every week for a few months I finally grabbed a set off a Max who's hood had been held up the entire time.... I put them on my 95 and my hood and it dropped on my head about 30 minutes later. Moral of the story... I went and bought new ones.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by 8000watts
Vice grips for me
Lmao same here vice grips
Old 11-10-2012, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by ABIGBRAIN
Mine would stay up for about 2 minutes and then decide to give out. Having gone to the junkyard every week for a few months I finally grabbed a set off a Max who's hood had been held up the entire time.... I put them on my 95 and my hood and it dropped on my head about 30 minutes later. Moral of the story... I went and bought new ones.
you got shocks off a max whos hood you had noticed had been up for months straight? yeah good find...
Old 11-11-2012, 03:40 PM

i paid twelve bucks each for my new ones at advanced auto. and there quite solid. the only quality part ive ever had from advanced lol
Old 11-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 8000watts
Vice grips for me
+1

Soon enough I will get the strongarms.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:23 PM

you got shocks off a max whos hood you had noticed had been up for months straight? yeah good find...
Live and learn....
Old 11-13-2012, 06:35 AM

i bought a new set from joke zone i call them cause there all idiots..anyways they failed on me after about 7 months so i just removed them and keep a baccer stick to hold it up
Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
babies... Just use a piece of 2x4 between the hood and a mounting point on the fuel rail or lim. I sharpied "NISMO" with a red "o" on my piece of wood lmao

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android