4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Advice for dealership service issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 03:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Advice for dealership service issue?

I'm seeking advice/moral support with a dealership service issue.

I have a stock 99 Cali SEL, ~190K miles, bought used in 02. I've been experiencing a vibration during acceleration between 25-40 mph. I eliminated what I thought could be possible causes (axles, wheel balance & alignment, motor mounts), so I decided to take it to dealership service.

They told me the major cause of the vibration was the A/T going bad, so I agreed to the $3K reman A/T. 10 days later when I pull out of the dealership, within 100 yds the car is vibrating and the CEL comes on. I pull over and check the code: P0720 (A/T Revolution Sensor).

The car is back at the dealer and they tell me the A/T and sensor are fine. They believe it is an issue in the wiring harness (signal leakage) and it is very labor intensive to troubleshoot. They want me to pay for the troubleshooting and fix!

That's crazy, right?! This DTC code never occurred before they replaced the A/T. They should eat the cost of fixing the problem, right?

I'm out $3K. I still have the original problem. I have a new problem caused when they replaced the A/T.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice on how to deal with this issue.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:38 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You got ripped off.
I guarantee the trans was fine, they don't vibrate when the fail.
You probably had a misfire from a weak coil, very common with the 99.
The error wasn't present when you brought the car in, so in no way should you be responsible for its repair.

The kicker is what they did for 3,000 bucks didn't fix the problem.
Do you know a lawyer?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 PM

Call up and report your problem to Nissan USa and they will contact the dealer. Even go back to the dealership and threaten them that you will call them up and I am pretty sure they will address it since you spent that kind of money.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the input. I haven't heard from the dealership in a few days. I'll keep fighting the good fight!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 AM

man, i mean, did'nt you read up and search around in here first before getting boned at the dealership?? dude's probably right about the coil, hell, im not a mechanic but for 3k i would've gone out and bought another max, damn. did you scan it "before" letting the stealership rip you off for another trans?? i mean, hell, the trans could've been done for a few hundred, thats insane. no offense, you learned a tough lesson, that's why were here. to help other max owners to keep the vq's running w/o getting robbed at the dealer or a local shop, good luck and check in here frequently with any questions. please search as much as possible first.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

first of, open the hood and take a look at the transmission, is it new? For $3k, that should be a new transmission in there.

second, if it is in fact new, (they replaced what they said they did and what you paid for) ask them to have the master mechanic look over the install and make sure the tech who did the install (probably not the master tech) actually did everything correct and did not forget anything.

The problem might be a missed connection or a pinched wire caused during the R&R. And should not be your expense.

I would ask them to do a courtesy diagnosis on the problem. If they come up with a problem, might want to get a third party to confirm the cause if possible.

I'm sure this is a very stressful time for you, try to keep calm, don't bother dealing with the counter personnel at this time, go directly to the manager and deal directly with them.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 PM

hell, i'd go to the owner and give him a piece of my mind. he's right, for that price the thing should pull hard and be perfect inside and out. check the level of the fluid, if its not red and at the line, you know they f'ed that up. 10 days to do a trans, hell, my guy would do it in 4 hours tops!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:11 PM

First time ever, I did it in several hours using basic hand tools, a 2x4 (wood), a rope, and some help.