4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Looking a another Max, this time a 5th gen??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 AM

Looking a another Max, this time a 5th gen??

I posted something similar in the 5th gen forum yesterday but thought I'd get a few 4th generation owners on a future purchase.

My 98 Maxima has given me enough pleasure to make another VQ buying decision. My wife and I are looking at another Maxima to replace a lease ending Buick. The care in question is a 2000 Max SE auto 3.0 with 92K miles on the odometer, clean car fax, 1 owner, loaded. The exterior condition is outstanding; interior is equally rated for a 13 year old car. $4000 is the purchase price.

The two questions I posted in the 5th gen forum are:

First, how do these 5th gens mated the 3.0/auto powertrain compare with the late 4th generation models? I'm assuming just as reliable although unsure of how the added weight of the 5th gen effects performance (economy, handling, and passing gear). Is the later 3.5 displacement engine a better choice? Thoughts are helpful...

Second, is $4K a reasonable price point for this year, condition, and miles?

Any opinions or recommendations are sure appreciated.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Willing to learn

Do not buy this car unless you are prepared to be spending a lot of time & money repairing it. Hands down the worst year for the Maxima. Don't be fooled by the fact that the car may have had perfect history up until now. I have worked on many of them over the years. My fellow techs often joke about this particular car. Search the forums for 2000 Maxima and you can confirm what I am talking about.

This will be especially true if you are coming from the 4th Gen family, which are much better cars in general. Not much of an upgrade in my opinion. Find another lower mileage 4th Gen and be happy.

Last edited by oldngivout; 02-12-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:31 AM

^^Agreed, but what do you expect in the 4th gen forums.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:02 PM

I've actually been toying with the same idea. How do the rest of the 5th gens compare?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:31 PM
dot dot dot ...

Buy a 4th gen, swap a 3.5. Best of both worlds.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by oldngivout
Do not buy this car unless you are prepared to be spending a lot of time & money repairing it. Hands down the worst year for the Maxima. Don't be fooled by the fact that the car may have had perfect history up until now. I have worked on many of them over the years. My fellow techs often joke about this particular car. Search the forums for 2000 Maxima and you can confirm what I am talking about.

This will be especially true if you are coming from the 4th Gen family, which are much better cars in general. Not much of an upgrade in my opinion. Find another lower mileage 4th Gen and be happy.
Thanks for the reply. I did see quite a few random issues for this year...but nothing that spelled out a disaster. Same powertrain with some different sheetmetal??? What specific issues are known to only effect the 2000 model year but not subsequent years?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
^^Agreed, but what do you expect in the 4th gen forums.
I generated a similar posting in the 5th gen forums but have yet to have someone reply. I'm curious as to why they (5th gen enthusiasts) haven't responded and even more so, why they haven't steered me away from this model year???
Old 02-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Willing to learn

All the things that can fail on the 4th Gen can also fail on the 5th, so no surprises there. It's a fact of life that it costs money to operate any vehicle.

But when you consider the big ticket items that fail on the 5th Gen Maximas, well it becomes apparent they are cursed. Specifically the 2000 & 2001 models.

Among the list of problems unique to the 00/01 are:

IACV failure and the possibility of frying the ECU
Electronic engine mounts shorting out (again can damage ECU)
Pre-catalyst replacement on 2000 Cal spec and all 2001
Upper intake gasket replacement
Plastic upper intake cracking
Coil pack issues (big $$)
Mass Airflow Sensor

This along with the clogged EGR, leaking water pump, bad fuel injectors, valve cover gasket leaks, oxygen sensors (can have up to 4) - you can get into a mess in a hurry with this 13 year old car.

Don't forget the rear brake calipers that seize, front & rear wheel bearings that moan and roar. CV axle shaft boot cracking - and the famous crankshaft pulley separation.

Bose radio head unit AND sub-woofer failure...almost forgot about that.

Prosecution rests.

Last edited by oldngivout; 02-12-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 PM

All the things that can fail on the 4th Gen can also fail on the 5th, so no surprises there. It's a fact of life that it costs money to operate any vehicle.

But when you consider the big ticket items that fail on the 5th Gen Maximas, well it becomes apparent they are cursed. Specifically the 2000 & 2001 models.

Among the list of problems unique to the 00/01 are:

IACV failure and the possibility of frying the ECU
Electronic engine mounts shorting out (again can damage ECU)
Pre-catalyst replacement on 2000 Cal spec and all 2001
Upper intake gasket replacement
Plastic upper intake cracking
Coil pack issues (big $$)
Mass Airflow Sensor

This along with the clogged EGR, leaking water pump, bad fuel injectors, valve cover gasket leaks, oxygen sensors (can have up to 4) - you can get into a mess in a hurry with this 13 year old car.

Don't forget the rear brake calipers that seize, front & rear wheel bearings that moan and roar. CV axle shaft boot cracking - and the famous crankshaft pulley separation.

Bose radio head unit AND sub-woofer failure...almost forgot about that.

Prosecution rests.
Wow, that was a mouthful of trouble. I'd have to be out of my mind to pass up a nice 4th gen over all that hassle.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 PM

Prosecution rests.
Well stated. That's exactly what I was looking for in an honest answer. I may reconsider this purchase after I test drive the vehicle today. More to follow...
Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 AM

I wanted to move up to a 5th gen too, but i have yet to find one in decent condtion...and they were all 90k miles or less. Weird or nissan skimped on quality. IMO nissan skimped on 5th gen quality.

2001 is a better year than than the 2000 models.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 AM
dot dot dot ...

If you can find an 03 with low miles and not an oil burner, I'd jump on it.

I love my 03 more than my 95, although there are some aspects I appreciate the 95 for.

It's a great upgrade, and if you worked on your 4th gen a lot, you'll appreciate the similarities, I know I do.

I bought mine with 39k, and it has 129k and I've only changed the MAF and VB. Other than that, it's been a reliable champ.

I got my 95 with 87k and it now has 245k, and also, minimal repairs. 1 CPS, 1 coil, 1 MAF, 1 alt, 1 ECTS, 1 water pump. The rest has been maintenance, (brakes, batteries, starters).
Old 02-15-2013, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by eddie982
Wow, that was a mouthful of trouble. I'd have to be out of my mind to pass up a nice 4th gen over all that hassle.
Yeah I even considered doing the same and upgrading to a 5th gen but when my friend got his and had the issues with coil pack and IACV shorting out ECU, I said my pockets ain't ready for those maintenance bills yet...
Old 02-15-2013, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Yeah I even considered doing the same and upgrading to a 5th gen but when my friend got his and had the issues with coil pack and IACV shorting out ECU, I said my pockets ain't ready for those maintenance bills yet...
I know, and i dunno if it's just me, but i think the 2000 is just pure ugly and boring. 4th gens look way better.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:42 PM

Well, I'm going to pass on this car. Too many similar opinions of the model year. Nice car but I see more of this model year than any other in used listings throughout autotrader and craigslist. Probably not a coincidence.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
If you can find an 03 with low miles and not an oil burner, I'd jump on it.

I love my 03 more than my 95, although there are some aspects I appreciate the 95 for.

It's a great upgrade, and if you worked on your 4th gen a lot, you'll appreciate the similarities, I know I do.

I bought mine with 39k, and it has 129k and I've only changed the MAF and VB. Other than that, it's been a reliable champ.

I got my 95 with 87k and it now has 245k, and also, minimal repairs. 1 CPS, 1 coil, 1 MAF, 1 alt, 1 ECTS, 1 water pump. The rest has been maintenance, (brakes, batteries, starters).
I agreee with the upgarde, i got me a 2002 GLE a 6 months ago with 95k on it and it has been a very good car so far not a oil burner and the power is very noticeable i mean comeing from a 1997 GLE max that was my pride and joy for 7 years that was the best car i ever had