4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

antenna delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:02 PM

antenna delete

I dont listen to the radio plus this p.o.s is messed up. is there a antenna delete kit in this cold world??? been looking but no luck so far.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:13 PM

It's called sheet metal, a welder, and bondo. Or you could just fill the left over hole with a rubber plug etc. I took my broken power assembly off and replaced it with a stationary one from ebay. I then just bought a 6 inch carbon fiber antenna, also off ebay.

It looks pretty good and was less than a whole new motor, mast etc. I imagine your wanting to do this for looks so I thought I'd share what I did.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:38 PM

Avoid the extra body work and fix it.
You can listen for the motor on it and just buy a new mast for it, or ebay has them for about $60 plug and play. http://bit.ly/VHIITk
Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 PM

If you're not a welder fiber patch the inner section of the quarter covering the outside with bondo. I made my own amplified antenna with ribbon cable and a few components that I snaked thru the trunk lid. It gets better reception than that junky old power antenna did.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It's a 2 step kit.

1) Remove antenna
2) Insert cork

Celebrate by drinking the wine the cork came from...
Old 03-05-2013, 02:19 PM

^^^^

YES!!! a man with vision.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OMG cork????? Jeez. I think the OEM antenna is beautiful. Standing at rear flank, slight angle. It's all class man!

When mine dies I will replace with a fixed mast antenna.

Now that most cars don't have mast antennas I feel kindof weird sometimes when I turn on the radio...it's like everyone knows I just turned on the radio lol
Old 03-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Banned

If someone needs a new power antenna hit me up i have a bnib one.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
It's a 2 step kit.

1) Remove antenna
2) Insert cork

Celebrate by drinking the wine the cork came from...

Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 PM

I just did this and it works...

--IF AND ONLY IF-- you have an aftermarket radio, the plug adaptor for the antenna ONLY uses the wire to the regular antenna (that we want to delete in this thread). Take that adaptor apart with some pliers (get a little handy) and switch the connection to the smaller wire that runs to the antenna that is already built in to your back window for the Bose head unit (that you no longer have or never had in the first place). I get more stations that I did with my cheapy rubber antenna, and more stations in this area that some home radios get.

Not sure if this is true about all 4th gens, but my 98 gxe had it and I haven't seen one in person yet that didn't have a built in antenna in the window

Then use some fiberglass on the back side of the hole from the trunk, sand and body fill the hole, primer, paint etc.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by cjanderson3

--IF AND ONLY IF-- you have an aftermarket radio, the plug adaptor for the antenna ONLY uses the wire to the regular antenna (that we want to delete in this thread). Take that adaptor apart with some pliers (get a little handy) and switch the connection to the smaller wire that runs to the antenna that is already built in to your back window for the Bose head unit (that you no longer have or never had in the first place). I get more stations that I did with my cheapy rubber antenna, and more stations in this area that some home radios get.

Not sure if this is true about all 4th gens, but my 98 gxe had it and I haven't seen one in person yet that didn't have a built in antenna in the window

Then use some fiberglass on the back side of the hole from the trunk, sand and body fill the hole, primer, paint etc.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
It's late, dark outside, and I've had a few cold ones lol. It's not too difficult once you get in there, just look at the wire for the antenna on the back of the stereo. The adaptor only has one coax cable plugged into the stereo itself. The stock plug splits into two coax cables, one large and one small, then runs to the rear of the vehicle. Your adaptor will connect your stereo to the larger of the cables (the standard antenna) you want that adaptor to connect your stereo to the smaller coax cable (connected to the rear window antenna). It's basically as simple as flip-flopping the plug.

Here is a pic of the adaptor, notice how only one hole inside the female end has a contact and the other one is a dud.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:17 PM

But as far as an antenna delete "kit" like the op asked for, no I don't think so. Your gonna have to put in a little basic body work to really "delete" the antenna, hole and everything
Old 03-05-2013, 10:59 PM

^^Thank you.
That helps me.
You had me thinking after I read your op.
Is your rear window tinted?

Last edited by Fakie J Farkerton; 03-05-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 PM

The antenna was broken when i bought my Maxima and the wires were cut. I pulled it out to test it and never put it back in. Ive had a piece of black duct tape on the inside of the trunk covering that hole ever since (Novemeber 2009).

Also never had a problem getting FM but I don't get any AM whatsoever. I listen to Pandora anyways so it's all good.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:17 AM

what is this 2001??? c'mon guys, i've got a double-din touch screen pioneer with bt and sirius,cd, am, fm, dvd, and i still like to turn on my radio and i've got a seperate switch so i can put up the power mast and show it off to all op that had to have a newer car. i oil it down and clean every so often so it works right and i went through the car wash once a year ago and left it up, doh!!! i replaced the mast and it's all good. original motor and all.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 AM

...to the smaller wire that runs to the antenna that is already built in to your back window for the Bose head unit (that you no longer have or never had in the first place).

And how does one get to that plug for the window antenna?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
And how does one get to that plug for the window antenna?
In my car the wire runs right to the stereo. Then in the back the 2 coax will split behind the right rear window pillar cover (where the seatbelt comes out at). The smaller one will plug into the window and look like the defroster, but if you look closely the antenna in the window is completely separate from the rest of the window grid. You may have to plug this in yourself, I can't remember, but the plug and everything is there

Oh, and yes fakie, my window is tinted why do you ask?

EDIT For those of you who didn't know what I was talking about, I just found the window antenna in the FSM. Page el-124 for base system or page el-121 for bose system

Last edited by cjanderson3; 03-11-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:43 PM

ok guys.. I have my whole interior apart due to a BAD previous stereo install.. looking into using the window antenna.. but not sure hot to hook it up.. any pics or detailed write up on this?? thanks guys..
Old 03-13-2013, 09:08 PM

I was getting other bodywork done (rocker and quarter panel rust fix, new front fenders, body colored emblems and some other paint), so I had mine filled - plug, welded, bondo, paint. Don't need it, I have a 3G iPad in my dash.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:14 PM

Fantastic tip. I've been driving around without a radio (other than the local Christian station...) since I got my 99SE.