4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Disabling auto headlights a32 -99 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Disabling auto headlights a32 -99 ?

Hello! Just wondering is there any info and guide how to disable auto headlights from a32 4th gen maxima? I guess there are more than one way, but what would be the simplest one? I did not find any guide for it yet when talking about 4th gen model. My purpose is to install daytime leds to front so I could make my hid-kit to last longer when not using it unnecessary on daytime. So what I want is that when I start my car my hid kit would not turn on before I switch them on from the switch. Using park position of the switch for the purpose, no thanks, I would like just use the manual activation method for my headlights without "lightmemory".

Any info and help is highly appreciated!

Best regards from Finland! -Keijo (proud owner of maxima -99 qx europe version)

Last edited by Keijo Pitkänen; 03-10-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Administrator

In the United States, 4th gens don't have auto headlights. Your best bet might be to purchase or download the FSM (factory service manual) for your country and figure out which wire you need to cut, or what to modify.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:28 PM

The 99 Infinity i30 had the auto headlight feature but I wonder if the op is referring to the daytime running lights on the Canadian Maximas?

Keijo Pitkänen - In the U.S., auto headlights are a feature that uses a photo sensor to turn the headlights on and off. As the driver of the car, you can select it. The headlight on/off switch has a position next to the off position. The switch has the word AUTO on it. If the headlight switch is in the off position, none of the car lights will be on while you are driving it. In the AUTO position, when you drive the cay during daylight hours the headlights will be off. As the daylight fades, the headlights will come on. If you are driving at sunrise, the headlights will go off. The headlight switch still has the parking lights only position and the headlights on positions.

In Canada, the law requires lights to be on whenever the car is being driven as a safety feature. The way Nissan does this is to add a control module under the hood called the DTRL module (Day Time Running Light). I believe it is on the fender behind the right side headlight. The module lights up the hi beam headlamps at half brightness.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The 99 Infinity i30 had the auto headlight feature but I wonder if the op is referring to the daytime running lights on the Canadian Maximas?
Yes, but that's easily controlled by the headlight stalk. Don't won't autoturn on, leave the stalk one click back and the I30 system is just like the Maxima system.

OP is in Finland.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:40 PM

I saw that the op is in Finland, that's why I tried to differentiate between daytime running lights and the auto on feature. I think he is referring to the daytime running lights because he does not want the lights on during the daytime. The auto on feature would not have the lights on during the day.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Administrator

You are correct. I had a brain fart there for a second.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

"Light memory" of Maxima QX

My Europe version Maxima has 3 positions for the light switch. Default position for the siwtch is off but when the switch is set to "Off" and I turn on the power (2-clicks up without starting the engine" headlights starts always, no matter is it day or night. So I can't drive without headlights being turned off. Next click up is just parking lights. Third (the last position) up is the one where I can activate my rear fog light + long headlights.

There is no difference in the brightness beetween those two headlight positions. First (the off one) just automatically activates headlights and keeps them on till I turn off the engine.

So what I want' is that when the position is off mode, my headlights won't start at all no matter what situation it is. I just want to active my headlights manually when it is needed so my headlights bulbs does not get any power in the off position.

In Finland we call that feature as "light memory" and the idea for it is that short headlights always turns on when you start the car and when you turn engine off they also shuts down then so there is no risk of forgetting. That's what I want to disable.

So, when I would start up my car, only the daytime running leds would get power, without the headlights turning on. Those daytime leds are becoming more and more popular and are also enough for daytime use in Finland so that surely saves headlight bulbs and gives longer lifetime for them + saves battery power because leds saves huge amount of battery power what is good thing specially for short distance driving. First thing to change now is just that forced auto on and off feature for headlights as default. Any ideas? I heard there is no consumer free service manual for the operation for Europe Maximas what I have and the local Nissan dealer / service shop near me forces me to pay them to solve this out even when it is very simple thing what I believe it is, I will not pay them for this thing (not about money, just want to solve small things by myself and learn same time).

Last edited by Keijo Pitkänen; 03-11-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Today I surprisingly managed to get some tips from the local Nissan Dealer and Service. They did find and show me some pics about the structure and wiring of the lighting system. They said there clearly is the "Daylight control box" in front, near right side headlight and they said there is 1 wire what needs to be cut and or moved to another position. More they could not say, they just said they can help more ony if I pay and they will do the modification for me. Knowing their prices that would cost me easily at least 100 dollars and I would not learn nothing.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Issue solved!

Today with my friend we managed to find the right place. Unlike the local Nissan dealer / service center told me, in the cabine there is the fuse box behind it's cover. Next to the fuse box, hidden next to it under casing of the driving wheel, there was this "light memory" box with fuse what was easy to move visible with the wiring. This box clearly was installed by importer itself for Finnish use. We took out the fuse from this black box and now I can drive with headlights off when I want and just use daytime leds instead + headlights starts only in on position. I hope this helps somebody other as well! Cheers!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 PM

The lights on Finnish cars do work different from the cars here is the U.S. I was wondering if that might be true when I read the your first post. I'm glad that you were able to find the solution because I don't think I could have helped you.

But if Finnish law requires the "light memory" feature, do you think the police will stop you?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DennisMik
But if Finnish law requires the "light memory" feature, do you think the police will stop you?
That's the first thing that came to my mind as well.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by The Wizard
That's the first thing that came to my mind as well.
In Finland, our law requires that every car driving on the public roads has to use frontlights with enough lumens output even during the brightest daytime. Normal park lights are not enough, but with high power parks or with these "daytime leds" like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140756164421...84.m1497.l2649

it is legal and enough so main headlights can stay off during daytime. New cars here in europe also here in Finland, comes with that style daytime leds installed. These daytime leds are also legal to be installed to cars afterwards in here. Now I can finally save battery power, my hid kit bulbs and same time also little bit of fuel, thanks to high power energy efficient leds. In long term this all saves money. Thanks guys for showing your interest to help me!