4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch recommendation and Source of Creaking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 09:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Clutch recommendation and Source of Creaking Noise

Hello All!

Well, it seems my clutch is approching its last days... Seems to slip when accelerating hard. My '95 Maxima has 100K+ miles and this would be my 1st replacement...

I am not looking for a racing clutch, but would like something a step up from the OEM (little better grip). Anyone have any suggestions of what I should get? I would also appreciate it if you could point me to a reputable souce as well.

I have done alot of forum searching for my next two issues, but can't seem to find an exact match to what I am experiencing.

First:

I have a creaking noise when I turn at a complete stand still. This ONLY happens when it is cold out (about 40F or cooler). My car is NOT lowered and has all the original suspention components. It sounds as if the spring were sticking and budging... sticking and budging, but nothing is visually sticking... (The spring moves with whole strut assembly). I have removed one wheel, strut and all, and am unable to visually detect any problems. I tried replacing a couple parts near the top of the top of the assembly (Strut mounting insulator, and the strut mounting bearing), but this made no difference. Any ideas as to the cause?

Second:

I too am experiencing a rattle. My rattle sounds like it is coming from the front of the vehicle. But if you listen carefully, it sounds like it is coming from the drivers side dash. It is difficult to pinpoint where. Sometimes it sounds like it is coming from the A-piller (but I have completely removed the plastic cover with no change). Other times it sounds like it is coming from behind the cluster. Anyone else experiencing this exact same issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Gavin
'95 Maxima
Old 01-12-2002, 10:03 PM

get yourself a bronze clutch!!!! - omg - you'll never go back to a regular clutch after u have xperienced da bronze
Old 01-12-2002, 10:05 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Clutch recommendation and Source of Creaking Noise

Originally posted by Gavin
Hello All!
I too am experiencing a rattle. My rattle sounds like it is coming from the front of the vehicle. But if you listen carefully, it sounds like it is coming from the drivers side dash. It is difficult to pinpoint where. Sometimes it sounds like it is coming from the A-piller (but I have completely removed the plastic cover with no change). Other times it sounds like it is coming from behind the cluster. Anyone else experiencing this exact same issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Gavin
'95 Maxima
sorry i cant answer your creaking question clutch question (my car doesnt make that noise and i'm still on my original clutch and its not going to die on me anytime soon)

i would suggest you to push down the corner of the dashboard next to the windshield in rapid succession. see if the duplicates the rattle. also take off the a-pillar trim and grab onto the side of the dashboard that *was* underneath the a-pillar trim closest to windshield and pull up in rapid succession. if one or both duplicates the rattling noise then the culprit most likely is the dashboard alignment peg thats behind the dash. i had this rattle noise on my passenger side and i was able to isolate peg as the cause of my many ex-rattles. HTH
Old 01-12-2002, 10:50 PM

ACT Street clutch

Many experienced people here who have tried them all STRONGLY recommend the ACT Street clutch kit.

Do your own research here and elsewhere, but this is supposedly one of the best aftermarket clutch options available for the 4th Gen Max.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2002, 12:00 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

if your not gonna add that much power to your Max the ACT might not be for you. there is increased pedal stiffness and you might not like it in city/stop and go traffic. Im using the JWT stage 2 clutch and pedal feel is same as stock. it grips good also.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Clutch Recommendation

Anyone else have any experiences (good or bad) with either of the recommended clutches (ACT Street Clutch or the JWT stage 2 clutch).

My car is stock, and I am not planning on doing anything dramatic, I simply want something with a little more UMPH than the OEM clutch.

Thanks in advance for help!

Gavin

P.S. Thanks to those who replied. I appreciate your input!
Old 01-14-2002, 12:20 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Re: Clutch Recommendation

Originally posted by Gavin
Anyone else have any experiences (good or bad) with either of the recommended clutches (ACT Street Clutch or the JWT stage 2 clutch).

My car is stock, and I am not planning on doing anything dramatic, I simply want something with a little more UMPH than the OEM clutch.

Thanks in advance for help!

Gavin

P.S. Thanks to those who replied. I appreciate your input!
ive installed and drove Maximas with clutchmasters, centerforce, ACT, and JWT clutch. the ACT definetely holds power, even on supercharged or NOS Maximas. but the pedal feel is stiffer, if you dont increaes much power from stock then ACT might not be for you. I hear JWT is a rebadged clutchmasters. not sure tho. The clutchmasters and JWT do feel similar in pedal feel. maybe stock?