4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oil bathed rear driver side spark plug...Fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 PM

Oil bathed rear driver side spark plug...Fixed!

I´ve just installed my Eibachs and still lovin´them ...I also purchased 6 NGK V-force spark plugs. When trying to install the 3 spark plugs in the rear section, 2 of the coil tips were stuck on the spark plug .

Tried to removed them with many tools that seem to be able to free the tips, but to no avail...I searched a little and find out the Crazy glue trick...I put some gkue on the coil, around the ¨ring¨near the tip, put it back on the spark plug hole and gave it a little twist. Left the coil ther for 10 mins, and Voila, the coil tip came right out, no hassle whatsoever.

I continued with the other coil, same trick, same success. I removed the first 2 spark plugs and when I removed the third (rear, driver side) I noticed that it was bathed in oil, obviously, the oil prevents the spark...That explains the crappy mpg and also the hessitation when accelerating ...

So I searched again, and found that the spark plugs tube have some seals that when torn/cracked/toast, will leak oil inside the spark plug tube.

OK, I search how to do it, and everybody agreed that the hardest part was to get the Upper Intalke Manifold out...After a while I agree too.

I bought the set ($40 USD) which included:
Rear and front valve cover gasket
Bolt grommets
Spark plug tube seats.

It took me 6 hours, including cleaning the rear valve covers, the UIM, the TB, IACV, and related stuff.

I´m planning to do the front valve cover tomorrow.

The MAX started right away, I took it for a test drive and my God, is he back.

I now understand that my poor MAX was running on 5 cylinders, even like that, it had decent power.

Now that I have a true 6 cylinder car, it runs smoother, the hessitation is gone, just steady and strong acceleration, and the delicious growl after 4,000 RPM is back.

I have seen many orgers complaining for the hessitation and poor fuel economy...There you have it, check your spark plugs, if some or one have oil, you now know what to do .

Peace!