4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Baffle (Backing) plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 PM

Baffle (Backing) plate

I searched and couldnt find an answer. I got new (to me) knuckles at the JY today.

The baffle/backing plate is pretty wrecked on one of them and the other isnt in the best shape.

2 questions:

1. are they needed, or can I cut them off?
2 are they replacable or should I just straigten them the best I can?

Thanks
S
Old 05-01-2013, 01:33 AM

The baffle is a replaceable part, so you could either take the bent one off and straighten it and re-install or swap it.

The baffle is a splash shield for the brake rotor. In a perfect world you don't need it, but we don't live in a perfect world. Water splashes aren't so bad but if the engine leaks oil, it can get on the rotor. And if you ever have the boot on your axle split (and it's guaranteed to happen eventually), you will deeply regret discarding the baffle.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:04 AM

Dennis thanks for the reply! Love this site.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The baffle is a replaceable part, so you could either take the bent one off and straighten it and re-install or swap it.

The baffle is a splash shield for the brake rotor. In a perfect world you don't need it, but we don't live in a perfect world. Water splashes aren't so bad but if the engine leaks oil, it can get on the rotor. And if you ever have the boot on your axle split (and it's guaranteed to happen eventually), you will deeply regret discarding the baffle.
Ahh this is a more define answer than what I was digging up in searches. So the rear ones are not necessary but form your reasoning there, the front is mandatory..
Old 05-01-2013, 09:16 PM

I would keep the baffle on the rear wheels too. Even water will reduce the breaking effectivness for a short period of time. But you can't guarantee what may be splashed up from the street besides water.

If your car won't start, you won't get hurt. If your car won't stop, you can get hurt big time. Brakes and tires are very important to your well being. Don't cut corners with them.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:39 PM

I would keep the baffle on the rear wheels too. Even water will reduce the breaking effectivness for a short period of time. But you can't guarantee what may be splashed up from the street besides water.

If your car won't start, you won't get hurt. If your car won't stop, you can get hurt big time. Brakes and tires are very important to your well being. Don't cut corners with them.
Well my rear actually rotted off and started rubbing the wheel so I bent it out. From what I am seeing, it shows that you have to remove the bearing to replace the baffle plate? If so, seems a bit extensive..
Old 05-03-2013, 06:41 PM

I kept it on and just bent it as straight as I could. I still need some tweaks as it rubs a little
S
Old 05-03-2013, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Well my rear actually rotted off and started rubbing the wheel so I bent it out. From what I am seeing, it shows that you have to remove the bearing to replace the baffle plate? If so, seems a bit extensive..
I think Nissan's choice of words makes it sound like a bigger job then what it is.

You have to remove the wheel hub which has the bearing inside it. Remove the big nut and slide the wheel hub with the bearing off of the spindle. No big thing - 10 minutes to remove and re-install. If your car has ABS brakes, I think you have to remove the sensor before removing the wheel hub.

The only caution is to not let the spindle drag across the threads for the nut because this could damage the grease seal on the bearing.

See the diagram from the FSM on page 6 -

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1996/RA.pdf
Old 05-05-2013, 08:25 AM

Well, i guess I'm screwed..LOL!! I removed all of mine when I went with the larger rotors front and rear. The darn things were in the way and by the time I bent 'em out and cut the fronts to fit the bigger calipers they just looked like hell and I removed all of 'em.

Their is a reduction in initial performance when you have been driving in heavy rain for quite a while without braking, but I have a tendency too leave large stopping distances anyway and I lightly apply the brakes to heat and dry 'em on occasion when the conditions are like that.
You just get acclimated to it and do it out of habit.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:11 PM

I think Nissan's choice of words makes it sound like a bigger job then what it is.

You have to remove the wheel hub which has the bearing inside it. Remove the big nut and slide the wheel hub with the bearing off of the spindle. No big thing - 10 minutes to remove and re-install. If your car has ABS brakes, I think you have to remove the sensor before removing the wheel hub.

The only caution is to not let the spindle drag across the threads for the nut because this could damage the grease seal on the bearing.

See the diagram from the FSM on page 6 -

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1996/RA.pdf
Thanks a lot Dennis. My parts guy at the dealer just found the set he was going to do for his Maxima but said it was too involved and will be giving it to me for free. Should I just replace the bearings since it has 328K on them??
Old 05-05-2013, 06:20 PM

I'm a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". They do have a lot of miles, granted, but bearings will last a long, long time as long as they don't loose their lubricant. The rear wheels don't have the weight or braking stress like the fronts, so this helps the rear bearings live longer.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I have not had mine on since 2006. No problems to report.