4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need some advice. I have a bad MAF or Wireharness and its really breaking my heart

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:14 PM

Need some advice. I have a bad MAF or Wireharness and its really breaking my heart

Like this all happened after I did a tune up on saturday. I was test driving and driving the car like normal and all of this sudden engine had a horrible misfire. I was like WTF was that? Did I not put the coil in right? Well anyway. I went to go check for codes to see if I got a Misfire check montior code at Advanced and I didn't. I ended up getting a MAF wire fault code. So I was liike WTF? why would my maf be messed up? It really makes no sense.

I only cleaned my air filter. At first I thought it was the K&N oil that was screwing up the maf. So I took the filter out, cleaned it with carb cleaner and the maf and re-tried. Same horrible issues where the car is in limp mode.

So I think to myself. Maybe it is the wire. I started to play with the wire and it was acting up. Now, it could still be the MAF but I don't wanna buy china junk off Ebay and I don't want Junkyard. So I might have to go to the stealership and buy an OEM one for $300 if it isn't the harness. Which is the part that breaks my heart.

I think the solder points are probably bad in the MAF. I like to think it is the harness as well but I don't think that can be replaced. It has one end plug and it goes into a main harness I believe. So I would have to cut it out or do something. IT blows my mind this is happening cause it never happened like this ever. I am gonna try and ground the middle black wire and see if that helps. If it doesn't.

Than I don't know what to do. Other than buying a new MAF cause at this point. I might have to jerry rig a whole set of wires to some part of the harness for all 3 if this MAF plug doesn't come out via plugs off the main harness.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:23 PM

Go buy a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaner and clean your maf first.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:16 PM

I replaced my MAF plug because the clip that holds it in the MAF was broken, and soldered jump wires where there were cold solders in my MAF, and I haven't had a problem with it since. I would really try to solder it first. I wouldn't think the wire would be messed up. There isn't really anything that could happen to it.

Good luck.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 07-08-2013, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Aflion
I wouldn't think the wire would be messed up. There isn't really anything that could happen to it.
You never heard of human intervention?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:49 PM
KH3 by popular demand

You definitely don't want to get one from the stealership unless it is like 80-90% off. There is nothing wrong with buying a maf from ebay or a working one from the junkyard, but hey, it's your money.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
You definitely don't want to get one from the stealership unless it is like 80-90% off. There is nothing wrong with buying a maf from ebay or a working one from the junkyard, but hey, it's your money.
Exactly what I was thinking... Whats wrong with the junkyard?
Old 07-09-2013, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
You never heard of human intervention?
Yes, but in the other post he has, he mentioned it's been 3 years since he's really done anything with it. Since it was running then(I guess it was), and it's been in his possession for a while, I doubt the wire has been tampered with. Lol.

But trust me, I thought the same thing until I remembered seeing his other post about getting it road ready.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 07-09-2013, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Climaxx
uh.. I did that. did you not read?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by S1cTech

Old 07-09-2013, 09:09 AM

I only cleaned my air filter. At first I thought it was the K&N oil that was screwing up the maf. So I took the filter out, cleaned it with carb cleaner and the maf and re-tried.
Originally Posted by Climaxx

My guess is he did read; did you type it right?

I see that you used carb cleaner to clean your k&n and your MAF.
Sounds like a double fail.

I know the MAF needs a specific cleaner, and k&n sells one that didn't seem like carb cleaner to me.
I do not recommend any oiled filters because of the possibility of shorting out the MAF.

Nothing is wrong with a junkyard MAF, or someone's used OEM MAF off of here.
No need to be stubborn and then complain about your lack of options for you to fix it.

Get a used MAF for under $50, clean it with the appropriate cleaner, and report back.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:07 PM

No I used MAF cleaner. I said I cleaned the filter with Carb Cleaner and I cleaned the MAF. Yeah I didn't specify with what, but I still cleaned it. Also. Carb just leaves a residue. You can still use it. Eventho I didn't use that, it will still work. All MAF cleaner is.. Is just non chlorinated brake clean on roids.