4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ready to call it quits.. Tried everything... Save my Max...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by NSMO240
I wouldnt say the timing sets itself completely, if you have your base timing off, then the ECU will have a hard time adjusting the timing
And just how would you adjust it? There is no adjustment. The crank and cam sensors read the reluctor rings and tell the ECU where the engine is in its rotation. Then the ECU uses readings from the MAP(boost), MAF, ECTS,and Knock sensors, as well as engine RPM to adjust timing from there.

We do not have a distributor to advance or retard.

Originally Posted by Chad_m
The timing on our cars sets itself and don't let anyone tell you different.
what I was saying is, if the timing chain is not set up correctly, then your car will never be in time
As long as the engine is assembled by a competent mechanic, and the engine hasn't jumped time, then the timing never waivers or changes, cannot change, and cannot be adjusted. Don't confuse cam timing and ignition base timing. There is no way to check timing, and no way to adjust timing.

If your suggesting pulling the timing cover off and checking that timing marks line up then yes. Check that the engine is in time, as the ignition timing will be affected.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
And just how would you adjust it? There is no adjustment. The crank and cam sensors read the reluctor rings and tell the ECU where the engine is in its rotation. Then the ECU uses readings from the MAP(boost), MAF, ECTS,and Knock sensors, as well as engine RPM to adjust timing from there.

We do not have a distributor to advance or retard.
There are marks on the timing chain that has to be lined up with the cam and crankshaft, which is your base timing and can be off if a water pump wasnt done correctly or if the chain was removed and not reinstalled correctly, but the 02 and up maximas have variable cam timing which the ecu can adjust using oil pressure. I believe the early ve engines did also
Old 07-03-2014, 05:08 PM

There are marks on the timing chain that has to be lined up with the cam and crankshaft, which is your base timing and can be off if a water pump wasnt done correctly or if the chain was removed and not reinstalled correctly, but the 02 and up maximas have variable cam timing which the ecu can adjust using oil pressure. I believe the early ve engines did also
Base timing refers to ignition timing before any advance or retard is added, such as when the engine is off, or a wire is disconnected in some vehicles. The timing you are referring to is called cam, or valve timing. Using proper terms will help in avoiding internet arguments and sounding like a lay person.

Last edited by asand1; 07-03-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by asand1

Base timing refers to ignition timing before any advance or retard is added, such as when the engine is off, or a wire is disconnected in some vehicles. The timing you are referring to is called cam, or valve timing. Using proper terms will help in avoiding internet arguments and sounding like a lay person.
Right, thanks! all has been fixed, damn

Last edited by NSMO240; 07-03-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:51 AM

Next time you check for spark, you need to really and thoroughly check the coilpacks for spark. Remove the coilpack (if suspect)from the valve cover tube and place either a screwdriver against the sparkplug contact spark and near a metallic ground to see if theres a spark or by using a spark plug tester between the coilpack and spark plug or one of those test plugs with the grounding clamp built on....What you (Chad m) found out was the symptoms of an injector are similar to that of a spark plug so I take my hat off too you to say you never gave up and I can appreciate you not having that F@#k it!! Attitude so many people have today about everything including working on cars...I hope you can return all your stuff you didn't need and put some of that money back in your pocket!