4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Passenger side axle seal still leaking after replacing

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:35 PM

Passenger side axle seal still leaking after replacing

So I replaced my passenger side axle seal as there was tranny fluid leak from it. This was a few days ago. Got back under the car today for some other stuff and it is still leaking. My question is, should the seal go into the tranny all the way until it stops? There is a ledge inside that it looks like it would sit against. When doing this tho the outside of the seal isn't flush with the transmission. If it is not supposed to be like this would it be ok to pop it back out and reseat it flush with the transmission or do I need a new seal now? Pics below

There is like a few mm gap between the outside of the seal and the tranny case.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-15-2014, 01:16 PM

Im not sure, do you have an FSM? It should have directions on how to do that job. I had persistent leaking problems out of that seal years ago. When spinning my axle, I could visibly see where there was a gap between the seal and the machined part of the axle it was supposed to seal against.

I think I ended up replacing the axle mount that bolts to the block. That seemed to fix it. I might have tried a different axle too.

Rotate your axle while the car is up and support by jack stands or on a lift. See if you can spot any gaps between the axle seal and the axle. If so, when spinning your axle, you should be able to see the fluid come out at that spot.

Also, spot where the oil is coming out at. Either between the seal and the axle, or between the tranny case and the outer edge of the seal.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:27 PM

Ok, this leak did start happening after I put in a new axle about a month ago. I have a new axle I am about to put in now as I think the last one was causing a clunking noise when turning left. It's going to be hard to see the seal tho once the axle is in becuase there is a brass dust cover that sits over the seal. Hopefully this new axle will fix it.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:56 PM

The seal should be flush with the case, but the little bit of difference of seating it against the lip shouldn't make any difference. The axle has a very large area where the seal touches it.

I can't be certain when I look at the photos but you might have the seal in backwards. The flat surface should be facing out. I don't know if this would cause a leak or not.

Then there is the issue that the left and right side seals are not the same. The left side seal has a larger inner diameter than the right side. This would definitely cause a leak.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:18 PM
SLOW

everything dennismik said is what i was about to say.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:13 AM

Ok, it is installed correctly. Flat side facing out, kinda hard to tell from the pics I know. When I did the drivers side I did sit it flush with the case becuase on the drivers side if you push it in too far in can fall inside the case. The reason I pushed the passenger side in all the way is because there is a lip inside the case that it looks like it sits against and will only go in so far. I made sure to get the passenger side seal from the dealership as I knew they were different. 38342-81X01

I guess I will go ahead and try to remove it and reseat it flush with the case. Do you think I need a new seal at this point? $20 at the dealership for that little thing. Drivers side was only $8 when I did that side.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:03 PM

you say it was leaking before replacing it which is the reason for replacing it to begin with check your diff bearing too
Old 01-18-2014, 10:39 AM

I've read the diff bearing would be the main cause for 5 speed trans but does that happen to automatics too? I don't even know what the diff bearing is to be honest
Old 01-18-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by metalgod3082
I've read the diff bearing would be the main cause for 5 speed trans but does that happen to automatics too? I don't even know what the diff bearing is to be honest
The differential is what the axles plug into. Its purpose is to allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds, which is needed when the car is turning a corner or driving on a curve. In rear wheel drive cars, the transmission and the differential are separate units. On front wheel drive cars, the transmission and differential are built into one case.

The axle plugs into a gear in the differential. This gear is mounted in/supported by a bearing.