4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The Right Hose For The Job?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Sherlock Homes,
Holmes, you mean.

IMO, you're thinking way too much into this. There's no disputing that your Sears hose reads "Not for Fuel" as hoses that aren't specified for fuel use often read. Not For Fuel mean just that, Not For Fuel. Location doesn't matter.
I think you're right. I like to be thorough, though, as so many issues that crop up throughout Maxima.org and in life in general stem from misunderstood observations.

Autozone sells it by the foot for about $2/ft.
You are correct. A bit less, in fact: $1.29/ft. I picked up about three feet or so.

I only hope the quality of AutoZone's hose is at least as good as the one Sears had installed. After all this, it would be criminally negligent of me to accuse the mechanics of improper dealings only to replace the part with a lesser one...

Last edited by Herald; 01-26-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:57 PM

Yes, your Max and all 4th gens have a return line. Unused fuel returns back to the gas tank.
Really? That differs from what I've read. Glad I asked, then. Thank you.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Herald
I only hope the quality of AutoZone's hose is at least as good as the one Sears had installed. After all this, it would be criminally negligent of me to accuse the mechanics of improper dealings only to replace the part with a lesser one...
You'll be fine. And what makes you think the Sears hose could possibly be superior? It could be the other way around!

FWIW, I've had Autozone fuel hose on my supercharged Max for 7 years now, and my buddy 8 or 9 years on his supercharged Max. My friend developed this same leak (but on the other side near the fuel pressure regulator) on his 96 Max and we swapped out the OEM hose for an Autozone fuel hose about 3 weeks ago.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:23 PM

You'll be fine. And what makes you think the Sears hose could possibly be superior? It could be the other way around!
I think the car'll be fine, too. Sears told my girlfriend the hose came from "the dealer", but that could mean anything from the dealership to a local drug dealer who steals parts off of cars as his "side job". Most likely they're referring to something in between -- some parts supplier they deal with regularly. (Or even more likely, they got the part from the guy in the shop who usually cuts hose labeled "NOT FOR FUEL" for non-fuel-related jobs.)
Old 01-26-2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bone Collector
For everyone that still has the fuel smell problem and can't quite figure out what it is, definitely replace these little hoses and see if it goes away. To make it easy on you guys I just went and measured my hose because I couldn't remember what size it was.

The O.D. (outside diameter) is 9/16" (or .562")
The I.D. (inside diameter) is 5/16" (or .312")
Hey Bone Collector, thanks for doing this. Though I'd already purchased the part from both Amazon and then AutoZone by the time I saw this, it reassured me somewhat.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by mikeg75

OP - when you do determine the correct diameter hose, can you post it so I can do as you are?
You've probably already seen Bone Collector's comments regarding the hose; if not, make sure to look for his post. As you've probably also read, I went out and bought the ArmorMark 50060 at AutoZone.

Don't forget to buy some clamps to go along with the hose; they should be just slightly larger than the hose. (The ones I got fit a hose with an outside diameter range between 1/4" to 5/8", and an inside diameter range of 1/8" to 5/16".)
Old 01-26-2014, 03:20 PM

Anyone: Is this a low pressure fuel system?
Old 01-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Banned

With your manner, I have some doubts about the reality of your having a girlfriend. I'd appreciate if you only continue to contribute messages of value to the conversation. Otherwise, please post your attempts at insults elsewhere. I understand Reddit is good for that.

If you'd actually read my prior posts, you'd realize I've already picked up a hose at AutoZone earlier today. I respect my own girlfriend, who wants me to wait until I confirm with Nissan that the part is inappropriate before I swap it out for another one.
Wasnt meant to be insulting! was just trying to stress how easy the job was to do....
Ive seen shorter tranny rebuild threads!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Anyone: Is this a low pressure fuel system?
No, hence the reason for a rubber fuel line that is rated for a higher fuel system. Fuel injected system seem to be high pressure. If your car still smells check my post on your other thread.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by 98maxaholic

Wasnt meant to be insulting! was just trying to stress how easy the job was to do....
Ive seen shorter tranny rebuild threads!
I understand how easy it is. But this thread is about determining the correct part for the job rather than how to perform the work, so it wasn't necessary to dis your girlfriend like that.

And as for the length of this conversation: It's deserving of a longer thread, as it's an exciting and epic tale -- a mystery, full of observations, assumptions (some false) and (mis)information. And broads with guns (though we haven't gotten to that part yet). A tranny rebuild is dull by comparison.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by slickblack94

No, hence the reason for a rubber fuel line that is rated for a higher fuel system. Fuel injected system seem to be high pressure. If your car still smells check my post on your other thread.
See, now that's why I can't simply rely on the opinions of those who suggest just heading to an auto parts store and buying any ol' fuel line. The one I purchased at AutoZone today -- the one I purchased by the foot and cut down to size -- states on its website that it's designed for low pressure systems. Great. The quest for the correct hose continues...
Old 01-26-2014, 03:57 PM

I'm getting pretty entertained as well as informed, so I'd say this thread's length is not a problem :-)

Thanks again to all who contributed!

I have the new 5/16" hose I need but my local autozone didn't have the size clamps I needed so I'll try pep boys tomorrow. How many rubber segments in all are there? I'm counting 3 but there must be more than this little area. I see no reason leaving old clamps and hoses on there when the cost is so minimal.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:00 PM

See, now that's why I can't simply rely on the opinions of those who suggest just heading to an auto parts store and buying any ol' fuel line. The one I purchased at AutoZone today -- the one I purchased by the foot and cut down to size -- states on its website that it's designed for low pressure systems. Great. The quest for the correct hose continues...
Was that the only type of line they had? Did you tell the guy what it was for ? I'd have to see how much psi it could handle.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:05 PM

I'm getting pretty entertained as well as informed, so I'd say this thread's length is not a problem :-)

Thanks again to all who contributed!

I have the new 5/16" hose I need but my local autozone didn't have the size clamps I needed so I'll try pep boys tomorrow. How many rubber segments in all are there? I'm counting 3 but there must be more than this little area. I see no reason leaving old clamps and hoses on there when the cost is so minimal.
I hope you didn't buy the one I bought, Mike. Apparently it's not designed for our cars.

Can you clarify what you mean by about the rubber segments? The mechanic only changed the one on my Maxima but there's another right by it that I may change myself...
Old 01-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Banned

i was bragging about my girl...she can turn a screwdriver!
anyway the only thing left to end the mystery once and for all....by the right diameter hose that takes the highest pressure available!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:16 PM

I hope you didn't buy the one I bought, Mike. Apparently it's not designed for our cars. Can you clarify what you mean by about the rubber segments? The mechanic only changed the one on my Maxima but there's another right by it that I may change myself...
I did get the same, unfortunately. As to the 3 segments, if you follow the line from where yours was replaced, I counted another short one like it and then a little longer piece further down around the other side, out of which I actually saw a slow drip coming.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:17 PM

There's a reason why 18" of the hose I referred you too costs $7.99 and the hose you bought costs $1.29/ft. What I referred you to is what you want. It has a burst rating of 900 psi. and is made specifically for fuel injection systems.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:24 PM

Was that the only type of line they had? Did you tell the guy what it was for ? I'd have to see how much psi it could handle.
Man, if anything I give too much information when I'm asking for a part. Yes, I certainly explained what the hose was for, and the clerk rushed me to the hoses area and we cut off a few feet of the hose.

One thing Sherlock (that's me) observed: The clerk rushed out of the store as soon as the transaction was completed, which leads me to believe he was in a hurry to get somewhere. Lunch perhaps. My deduction skills lead me to believe he may've not been listening as closely as he should've been when I explained what type of hose I needed...

So the hose I bought at AutoZone is stamped, in part, "ArmorMark 50060 5/16" (7.9MM) FUEL LINE HOSE SAE J30R7". Punch "Armor Mark 50060" in Google and it'll come up. There's no PSI that I can find on the AutoZone website...
Old 01-26-2014, 04:26 PM

There's a reason why 18" of the hose I referred you too costs $7.99 and the hose you bought costs $1.29/ft. What I referred you to is what you want. It has a burst rating of 900 psi. and is made specifically for fuel injection systems.
I had already purchased my hose before coming home to find your suggestion. I'll probably end up buying the hose you suggested tomorrow. Thanks again for the information, sincerely.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:28 PM

Man, if anything I give too much information when I'm asking for a part. Yes, I certainly explained what the hose was for, and the clerk rushed me to the hoses area and we cut off a few feet of the hose.

One thing Sherlock (that's me) observed: The clerk rushed out of the store as soon as the transaction was completed, which leads me to believe he was in a hurry to get somewhere. Lunch perhaps. My deduction skills lead me to believe he may've not been listening as closely as he should've been when I explained what type of hose I needed...

So the hose I bought at AutoZone is stamped, in part, "ArmorMark 50060 5/16" (7.9MM) FUEL LINE HOSE SAE J30R7". Punch "Armor Mark 50060" in Google and it'll come up. There's no PSI that I can find on the AutoZone website...
just curious...did you see the hose leaking? I had the same issues as you and it was the 2 hoses by the firewall.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:29 PM

i was bragging about my girl...she can turn a screwdriver!
Then you are indeed a lucky man. (Or woman? Anyway, you're fortunate.)

anyway the only thing left to end the mystery once and for all....by the right diameter hose that takes the highest pressure available!
Trying to!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:32 PM

just curious...did you see the hose leaking? I had the same issues as you and it was the 2 hoses by the firewall.
No, the mechanic at Sears located the leak.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:34 PM

No, the mechanic at Sears located the leak.
has it smelled like fuel since he fixed it?
Old 01-26-2014, 04:40 PM

Also, it seems like most of you guys here prefer AutoZone. So, I would like to add that they do sell Fuel Injection Hose, and what you guys purchased is not it. I can't remember exactly, but it's somewhere between $4.50 and $5.00 per foot which is really close to what 18" for $7.99 costs. I do not know any of it's specs, so I am not encouraging you to go get it (although I'm sure its perfect for this.) The hose & clamps I recommended from AdvaceAuto is good stuff. That I can promise you. Good luck with the rest of your journeys with this problem.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:41 PM
Banned

I hope you didn't buy the one I bought, Mike. Apparently it's not designed for our cars.

Can you clarify what you mean by about the rubber segments? The mechanic only changed the one on my Maxima but there's another right by it that I may change myself...
well, if you got enough hose might as well change the other one too...if its never been changed before either, its probably in the same (or close to)the same condition as the one in question!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:53 PM

I did get the same, unfortunately. As to the 3 segments, if you follow the line from where yours was replaced, I counted another short one like it and then a little longer piece further down around the other side, out of which I actually saw a slow drip coming.
Oh, okay. When you look at this diagram of a 1995 Maxima, I'm pretty sure my part is listed as 16441MG L=70:

So I'm guessing two of yours are listed as the same part number. I'm not sure which one would be the third one you're referring to (the one that's dripping). Can you find it on this diagram?
Old 01-26-2014, 04:56 PM

has it smelled like fuel since he fixed it?
No, it appears that it took care of the issue. Just want it to remain that way, you know?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:00 PM

Also, it seems like most of you guys here prefer AutoZone.
I've no preference for one or the other; the AutoZone was simply the one that was most convenient. There's an Advanced Auto less than a block away from the AutoZone so I'm going to probably buy the hose you recommended or see if the AutoZone I'll be returning to has the correct hose available.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:03 PM

well, if you got enough hose might as well change the other one too...if its never been changed before either, its probably in the same (or close to)the same condition as the one in question!
Yeah, I may just do that. I'll definitely be getting enough hose length and clamps, anyway.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:36 PM
Administrator

The fuel pressure in our Maxima at idle is 41psi. The highest our injectors can handle is between 85-100psi, but they never ever even remotely get that high, even at WOT. They see approximately 50 to 60psi at WOT.

The hose you bought at Autozone originally met the standards at one time. Of course as time goes on, standards get updated and things get more stringent (sometimes overkill IMO).

Anyway, here's a cool link which helps explain the ratings a little. And based on this link, I can tell that Herald won't be using his Autozone fuel hose and returning it as stated. haha

http://www.gates.com/oreilly/tech_ti...elLineHose.pdf

What's crazy, is that if the Sears technician cut the hose from their big reel differently, the word "NOT" could have been emitted, and it could have just read "FOR FUEL" instead...
Old 01-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Oh, okay. When you look at this diagram of a 1995 Maxima, I'm pretty sure my part is listed as 16441MG L=70:

So I'm guessing two of yours are listed as the same part number. I'm not sure which one would be the third one you're referring to (the one that's dripping). Can you find it on this diagram?
This is the hose that I eluded to earlier. Just follow the fuel rail... It's part # 16441MA (L=110).
Old 01-26-2014, 08:38 PM

This is the hose that I eluded to earlier. Just follow the fuel rail... It's part # 16441MA (L=110).
Thanks for all of your input. That's exactly the hose segment that is dripping slightly on mine. Also, seeing the hose standards helped me understand how things have changed over time.

I'm thinking of returning my Autozone hose too. Probably should buy the newer type that doesn't get eaten away by the new additives they are putting in fuel. How long have they been putting these new fuel additives in the gas, and how does it affect the expected lifespan of these hoses?

I may wait to see where Herald gets his, since obviously Autozone doesn't stock the newer type.

How many feet of hose would I want if I wanted to be sure that all of the hose segments have the new standard? Is it just the 2 70 mm lengths and the 1 110 mm length, or should I upgrade the lines from the fuel filter, the return line, and elsewhere to be sure of no leaks in the future?
Old 01-26-2014, 09:26 PM

They see approximately 50 to 60psi at WOT.
What is WOT?

Anyway, here's a cool link which helps explain the ratings a little. And based on this link, I can tell that Herald won't be using his Autozone fuel hose and returning it as stated. haha

http://www.gates.com/oreilly/tech_ti...elLineHose.pdf
Thanks for that, Wizard. I've been enjoying the crash course on hoses. Even been reading some course materials on automotive hoses provided by Cengage Learning (which is probably most well known for textbooks):

http://www.cengage.com/resource_uplo...618_276707.ppt

What's crazy, is that if the Sears technician cut the hose from their big reel differently, the word "NOT" could have been emitted, and it could have just read "FOR FUEL" instead...
When my girlfriend brought the car home after taking it back to Sears to have them check to see if the correct hose had been installed, I noticed that one part of the printed phrase now seems more faded than the rest: The word "NOT".

Coincidence? Probably. But you never know...

Last edited by Herald; 01-26-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:42 PM

How many feet of hose would I want if I wanted to be sure that all of the hose segments have the new standard? Is it just the 2 70 mm lengths and the 1 110 mm length, or should I upgrade the lines from the fuel filter, the return line, and elsewhere to be sure of no leaks in the future?
Ah, so that's what the "L=70" meant. I'd overlooked that. Hopefully someone who's changed all their hoses will be able to chime in. Or someone who knows where to find this information. Either that or we're going to have to begin adding up the hose lengths ourselves...
Old 01-26-2014, 10:15 PM

This is a pet peeve of mine. Carelessness on replacing a fuel line hose can be potentially disastorous. It can happen so easily, as you have found out.

Basically, fuel line hoses are no maintenance items. You should never need to replace them for the life of the car.

However, enthusiasts, like many people on the org, try to get the most performance out of their car by keeping all wear items in tip top shape. One of those items is the Fuel filter (16400 in your diagram.) Replacing that item every 30K miles keeps your fuel pump happy and able to produce maximum pressure and flow to the fuel injectors.

Sometimes replacing the fuel filter you may also need to replace the fuel hose because the hose gets "stuck" to the filter. So you replace some parts of the fuel line hose as well.

Another part on the fuel line that wears out after a long time is the FPR, or fuel pressure regulator (22670M in diagram.) If your car experiences hard starts even after all other maintenence (plugs, air/fuel filter, cleaned TB etc) has been done, chances are its the FPR.

So if you replace the fuel filter or FPR, it would be a good idea to keep some fuel line hose handy. The 4th gen maxima came SAE 30R9 fuel line hoses. Get any hose from autozone, pep boys, sears etc. That fuel line hose has to specify SAE 30R9 and you are good to go.

If you lookup the SAE 30R9 specification (SAE = Society of Automotive Engineers) you'll see that 30R9 hoses are very durable. They resist alot of pressure (900 psi rated) and corrosion.

Last edited by dwapenyi; 01-26-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:41 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

The fuel pressure in our Maxima at idle is 41psi. The highest our injectors can handle is between 85-100psi, but they never ever even remotely get that high, even at WOT. They see approximately 50 to 60psi at WOT.
At idle the fuel pressure on a stock setup is around 34 psi (under normal vacuum). At wide open throttle or when the vac line is disconnected it should be around 43 psi. It's a 3 bar regulator.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:11 PM

Never take any vehicle to sears for anything! They're incompetent and they screw you hard as they can.

Rants aside though I think I should probably go ahead and replace my 18 year old lines here pretty soon once car gets outta the body shop.

Last edited by jfactor; 01-27-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jfactor
Never take any vehicle to sears for anything! They're incompetent and they screw you hard as they can.

Rants aside though I think I should probably go ahead and replace my 18 year old lines here pretty soon once car gets outta the body shop.

Ya Sears SUX!! My girls dad brought his truck there for new battery(even tho it wasnt showing signs of crappin at all)he listens to what ever someone tells him, and wouldnt you know they told him he had a bad alt!
and he had one of those cheap digital volt meters you plug into the cigarette lighter...i know those may not be all that accurate, but even that said it was charging fine...Most places lilke sears give bonuses to the shop managers, based on the profits of the shop!

Last edited by 98maxaholic; 01-27-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:54 PM

Thanks for your explanation - very helpful. FWIW I've confirmed with the actual supplier of the hose Autozone sold me that it is SAE 30R9. My hose lettering is actually different than the OP even though both of us purchased at AZ. His has 50060 right after CADNA - on Autozone's website part 50060 is listed as SAE 30R7 but my hose is not listed, so I decided to check with the supplier. I knew mine had to be different b/c it was around 4.50/ft where his was 1.29 or something.

Now I have another question - should I replace the FPR since the segment of hose which has a small drip is attached to it? I have a little bit of a slower start than normal because of the cold weather but maybe the FPR, the drip causing the smell, and the cold are related problems since I never smell fuel during non-freezing temps. If I replace the FPR and the hose, maybe it will perform better and no longer drip?

Any brand FPR that are better than others? There are several on the Rock Auto web site.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
This is a pet peeve of mine. Carelessness on replacing a fuel line hose can be potentially disastorous. It can happen so easily, as you have found out.

Basically, fuel line hoses are no maintenance items. You should never need to replace them for the life of the car.

However, enthusiasts, like many people on the org, try to get the most performance out of their car by keeping all wear items in tip top shape. One of those items is the Fuel filter (16400 in your diagram.) Replacing that item every 30K miles keeps your fuel pump happy and able to produce maximum pressure and flow to the fuel injectors.

Sometimes replacing the fuel filter you may also need to replace the fuel hose because the hose gets "stuck" to the filter. So you replace some parts of the fuel line hose as well.

Another part on the fuel line that wears out after a long time is the FPR, or fuel pressure regulator (22670M in diagram.) If your car experiences hard starts even after all other maintenence (plugs, air/fuel filter, cleaned TB etc) has been done, chances are its the FPR.

So if you replace the fuel filter or FPR, it would be a good idea to keep some fuel line hose handy. The 4th gen maxima came SAE 30R9 fuel line hoses. Get any hose from autozone, pep boys, sears etc. That fuel line hose has to specify SAE 30R9 and you are good to go.

If you lookup the SAE 30R9 specification (SAE = Society of Automotive Engineers) you'll see that 30R9 hoses are very durable. They resist alot of pressure (900 psi rated) and corrosion.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:35 PM

.... should I replace the FPR since the segment of hose which has a small drip is attached to it?
Since you are right there, I would replace it. Chances are you have the OEM fpr from factory......1995

I have a little bit of a slower start than normal because of the cold weather but maybe the FPR, the drip causing the smell, and the cold are related problems since I never smell fuel during non-freezing temps. If I replace the FPR and the hose, maybe it will perform better and no longer drip?
The slow start could be the fpr, assuming all other maintenence items have been taken care of, spark, filters etc. That drip should be taken care of asap.

Any brand FPR that are better than others? There are several on the Rock Auto web site.
The FPR is a simple vacuum device. It has moving parts so all moving parts wear over time.
Because it's a simple mechanical device, like an oil filter or air filter, you can use any type. I would pay attention to the physical shape....try to choose one that looks most like the OEM one because fitment is a bit tight in there, and an odd shape one will make installing it more difficult.

Last edited by dwapenyi; 01-28-2014 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: The Right Hose For The Job?