4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The Right Hose For The Job?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 04:11 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mikeg75
Thanks for your explanation - very helpful. FWIW I've confirmed with the actual supplier of the hose Autozone sold me that it is SAE 30R9. My hose lettering is actually different than the OP even though both of us purchased at AZ.
I too, checked my fuel hose that I bought at AZ. I'm in the same boat as you and have the SAE 30R9 designation. Looks like the OP got hosed (pun intended, LOL)
Old 01-30-2014, 08:54 AM

Thank you to everyone who chimed in to this conversation and helped me resolve this issue. This turned out to be quite a learning experience for me. Not only did I learn quite a few things, I got inspired to begin doing some other work on my Maxima (even spending the day at the junkyard yesterday searching Maximas for parts), and eventually got a refund for the work performed. So "all's well that ends well", as the Bard said.

Here's the thing, though. I spoke with two people at Nissan. I'm not certain either of them were mechanics -- one worked in the parts store at the dealership and the other worked in the garage but said he wasn't a mechanic when I asked him. So I'm not certain their opinions are correct. (In fact, the fellow at the parts department said I might want to take the car to some other shop he knew specialized in hoses and such.)

Both of the Nissan guys said that the part was the incorrect one, more or less. At first the parts guy thought it was okay to use, but I think he didn't understand that the hose was labeled "NOT FOR FUEL". Once I got him to understand that he agreed that it probably wouldn't hold up, but as I mentioned before, he suggested I take the car to a mechanic he knows who specializes in hoses.

That was two trips to Nissan, and though I may eventually take the car back to dealership eventually to find an actual certified mechanic who'd be able to let me know definitively whether or not he hose was satisfactory, I'm satisfied that I received a refund after replacing the hose myself. Along the way, I discovered another fuel leak (the other hose nearest to it), so today I'm tightening that sucker down and/or replacing it.

Now, on to isolating the other (non fuel-related leaks in my system)...
Old 01-31-2014, 12:42 AM
Administrator

Glad you got your money back, and are fixing these minor fuel issues yourself.
I learned a thing or two in this thread as well.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Since some knowledgeable people have tuned in to this thread, I wanted to ask about the fuel pressure regulator and the hose attached to it (after having read a few other threads).

Seems the screws tend to be stuck on the FPR pretty bad, for one thing. Also, I want to know how difficult it will be to get off the hose clamp that is wedged pretty far back by the throttle body and under a few EGR lines (I think).

What else needs to be removed to be able to reach that clamp? Can I get at it without taking the throttle body off?

I've taken out the TB, IACV and other parts in that area but never the UIM, so I want to minimize the amount of work I have to do that is new, if I try this myself.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2014, 02:17 PM

Seems my concerns were justified as I simply could not get the bottom screw off of the fuel pressure regulator, nor could I reach the screw for the hose clamp which is under the intake manifold, behind the throttle body.

I did get 3 out of the 4 hoses I intended to change done, but I am disappointed in not being able to put my new FPR in the car.

We are expecting snow tomorrow and it will be getting cold again so we'll see if the fuel smell is conquered.

I also purchased a fire extinguisher which I'll be driving around with for a few weeks until I know there is no danger of fuel leaking from my work. We needed one for our house anyhow so it was a good investment.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by mikeg75
... ask about the fuel pressure regulator...

When I did my FPR, I removed the air filter box and associated pipes etc. Essentially I removed enough stuff so that the throttle body was fully exposed but still connected to the Intake manifold. I cleaned the TB of carbon too.

If you do clean the TB make sure to use cleaner that's safe for fuel injected engines. Using ordinary carb cleaner will wipe off the thin plastic film coating all the intake parts. That thin coating helps prevent carbon buildup from happening too quickly.