4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The Right Hose For The Job?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 11:13 AM

The Right Hose For The Job?

Hi everyone,

Hope everything is running well in your neck of the woods. I'm still trying to figure out if everything here is. You see, I'm trying to determine if I was burned by Sears Automotive yesterday. I don't often trust mechanics, but I also don't want to accuse them of performing a job improperly unless I know for certain. So I'm calling on your help. I know some of you are professional mechanics, and I don't mean any disrespect -- in fact, I'm sure you're the ones that often provide some of the most useful information here -- but the mechanics working for some organizations are pressured to squeeze as much money out of consumers as possible, so I don't often trust their work. (Which is why I've visited forums such as this for years, trying to learn how to do as much work on the cars I've driven over the years.)

Recently I'd been trying to determine why my '95 Maxima was reeking of gasoline whenever the weather was cold. I had strongly suspected the problem to reside in the engine compartment but hadn't looked hard enough for the source of the problem. Yesterday morning my girlfriend had reached her limit. She'd been getting headaches due to the breathing in the fumes and wanted to begin training our dog to travel in a crate in the backseat -- impossible with the amount of gas permeating the entire cabin -- so she insisted I take the car to a mechanic. I determined it was too cold for me to work on the car outside (I'm tough but my hands were turning blue even with my mechanic's gloves on yesterday morning) so I very reluctantly drove into Sears Automotive.

It looked like I was the first customer of the day, the counter clerk hanging out in the garage waiting for customers to begin arriving. I explained my issue to him, and he explained to me that they don't usually do fuel-related work but called over a mechanic anyway. The mechanic agreed to take a look at the car, and within 30 minutes I was presented me with a list of issues my car needed. The mechanic seemed like a decent fellow (though many are skilled at making themselves seem trustworthy), and I was grateful to him for taking me on a tour of the underside of the car, which I'd been under before but hadn't seen with its tires off in awhile. (Some of the issues were related to the axels, brakes and tires.) I began to assess which jobs I could do on my own, and which jobs I didn't have the equipment for.

I was a bit overwhelmed by the number of issues my car seemed to need. In my haste, I very nearly approved an $800 work order for a few things I thought might be out of my capabilities -- in fact, I did approve it -- but fortunately I awoke from my spell and stopped the mechanic before he could begin the work. I told him I'd been hasty, that I only needed the fuel leak fixed for now, and that I'd assess what I could do on my own and probably be bringing the car back in the following week to do some of the other work they were recommending. And I even kind of meant it, I think. What I did know for certain was that I couldn't simply spend $800 on a number of things that could wait for another day. Money's tight right now, and I'd rather take the time to research whether or not I can do some of the work myself.

When the work was completed, I authorized the bill, collected my key and tipped the mechanic. I drove off without looking under the hood. Only later, after capturing a photograph of the work, did I notice this:

What you're looking at is simply a hose (and its clamps) the mechanic used to replace the hose that had been leaking. This hose runs fuel through it. When I was looking at this photograph and other images of the hose, I noticed the warning printed on it. Since the message is cut off, I'm not certain whether it states "NOT FOR FUEL" or a longer statement (such as "NOT FOR FUEL INJECTION", which is sometimes imprinted on hoses). Here's another image of the hose:

Later today I'm going to loosen up one or both of the clamps to see if I can get a better idea of what is printed. For now, though, my girlfriend has taken the car back to Sears and asked them about this. When she mentioned fuel injection, they told her this was the hose the dealer sent them. The also told her the car is not fuel-injected.

So I have a few questions. I've been upset about this since yesterday, which is one reason I didn't accompany my girlfriend to Sears today. (That and the fact that she wants to spend the day shopping.) I knew that I might be jumping to conclusions, and I'd rather have my facts straight before I go back. I'm sore about this and don't want to let my hunches about the situation cloud my judgment.

My first question is: If that hose says "NOT FOR FUEL", then it's the wrong part to be using to carry fuel, right? I mean, that's common sense, isn't it?

My next question is: If the hose says "NOT FOR FUEL INJECTION", is it still okay to use the part to carry fuel, regardless of whether my car is fuel-injected or not?

My final question is: How do I determine whether my car has fuel injection?
Old 01-25-2014, 12:02 PM

This must Be a Joke?
Old 01-25-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
This must Be a Joke?
Not at all. Why?
Old 01-25-2014, 12:38 PM

Are all Maximas fuel-injected?
Old 01-25-2014, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Herald
Not at all. Why?
Are all Maximas fuel-injected?
You know I was initially inclined turn on the flame but then I took the time to read the entire initial post.

Based on that read, I'd like to ask the OP a question ... you are not what anyone would consider knowledgable with regard to automobiles, yes?

Assuming, and being convinced that the only answer to that question an emphatic "yes", the answers to your questions are emphatic "yeses".

Your Maxima IS fuel injected.

... and there are hoses/lines that are not appropriate for use as fuel lines.

Whether that particular piece states "not for use as a fuel line", "not for fuel", or "not for fuel injection", it doesn't matter it should be exposed to motor fuel and it's current application appears inappropriate.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Your Maxima IS fuel injected.

... and there are hoses/lines that are not appropriate for use as fuel lines.

Whether that particular piece states "not for use as a fuel line", "not for fuel", or "not for fuel injection", it doesn't matter it should be exposed to motor fuel and it's current application appears inappropriate.
It appears to state -- though I'm not positive -- "NOT FOR FUEL INJECTOR". See my latest picture:

My girlfriend seems a bit confused about what the fellow at Sears told her, but he reassured her that the hose is the correct one. She says he was quite emphatic about this himself. I've tried contacting him but he's left for the day.

If the hose is inappropriate for this applications, Sears Automotive is certainly doing there best to convince us otherwise.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Banned

Holy Cow

Originally Posted by CMax03
This must Be a Joke?
The OP has been on the .org since Feb 2011...
and he hasnt learned that his max is fuel injected!
Old 01-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Turbobink answered your question perfectly. That hose is not suited to be used with fuel.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:06 PM
Administrator

How much did Sears charge to replace that hose?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Turbobink answered your question perfectly. That hose is not suited to be used with fuel.
I sure hope so. Otherwise I'll be wasting my time forcing Sears Automotive to do the job all over again.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:08 PM

How much did Sears charge to replace that hose?
Too much IMHO.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Too much IMHO.
Well that stinks. Looks like they indirectly recouped some money for the time spent on their 'free' 100 point inspection that was performed...

Since Sears said they don't do fuel related work, I wouldn't be surprised if they say they don't carry fuel hose, and will try to talk you into thinking that the hose they used is ok.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:10 PM

Well that stinks. Looks like they indirectly recouped some money for the time spent on their 'free' 100 point inspection that was performed...

Since Sears said they don't do fuel related work, I wouldn't be surprised if they say they don't carry fuel hose, and will try to talk you into thinking that the hose they used is ok.
I'm thinking the same thing. What they should have done was simply let me know they didn't have the right hose. I would've paid a reasonable fee for simply locating the source of the problem and for alerting me to the other issues.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:29 PM

Too much IMHO.
Sears sucks! The only work from them that I have ever seen is sloppy, overpriced, and not knowledgeable. Stay away from those morons!
The fact that the hose printing states: do not use for fuel, should tell you and the Sears employees that you should not use it!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:36 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Looks like carburetor fuel line which would not see pressures over 15 psi. Fuel injection usually runs around 40-60 psi. That hose will fail with the extra pressure.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
Looks like carburetor fuel line which would not see pressures over 15 psi. Fuel injection usually runs around 40-60 psi. That hose will fail with the extra pressure.
Thanks JSutter. I'm digging around trying to find the exact specifications for the fuel line; Nissan sells it for $40 but I'm not rich so I want to find an equivalent hose for considerably less...
Old 01-26-2014, 07:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've had the same fuel smell inside my '95 SE during warm-up on very cold days for years, and I simply switch the mode to use recycled air and the heat+defrost setting rather than defrost only, because for some reason the defrost only mode does not allow the "reuse interior air" option to be selected. The fuel smell does not come into the cabin using recycled interior air.

I realize that not all Maximas of this gen have the fully electronic climate control, but I think my work-around kicks the can down the road somewhat.

Nonetheless I am following this thread and hope the OP gets his problem resolved so those of us in the same boat can learn from this.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2014, 07:22 AM

The hose appears to be this one, listed on Nissan's eStore as 16441MB - HOSEFUEL - L=70 S/#A6440-N7686. As you can see, courtesyparts.com doesn't currently have the part available, and Nissan wants $40 for the hose. I'm not willing to pay that much for the hose, so I'm considering buying Goodyear's 65149 SAE 30R9 Fuel Injection Hose and cutting it down to size. Would it fit the bill?

Last edited by Herald; 01-26-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:08 AM
Got Retrofit?

Any fuel hose of the appropriate size should be just fine. You don't need the specific one from Nissan.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ive never been in your shoes so i cant say if this is an option, but is there any sort of action you can take to get your money back? They clearly did a botched job and did not fix the problem.

Im sure if you contact corporate and bother someone there it will get things accomplished if the sears refuses to be accountable.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:07 AM

When I had this problem, I fixed it myself in only a couple of minutes. Go to Advance Auto or whatever your local auto parts store is. Ask them for some fuel injection hose and let them know what diameter you need. They will hook you up for less than $10 for a couple of feet. Stop messing with Sears and fix it right, yourself.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:14 AM
Banned

+1

Originally Posted by Bone Collector
When I had this problem, I fixed it myself in only a couple of minutes. Go to Advance Auto or whatever your local auto parts store is. Ask them for some fuel injection hose and let them know what diameter you need. They will hook you up for less than $10 for a couple of feet. Stop messing with Sears and fix it right, yourself.
Agreed, 2 minute fix really....then i would go back to sears and hand the mech his hose back, and tell em you want your money back!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by 98maxaholic

Agreed, 2 minute fix really....then i would go back to sears and hand the mech his hose back, and tell em you want your money back!
I just want to make certain they used the wrong hose before I go ballistic.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:42 AM

Have it verified by a ASE certified mechanic. Go to an actual shop and show them after you put your new one on.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just want to make certain they used the wrong hose before I go ballistic.
If the hose says "not for fuel" in capital letters, then yeah its not meant for fuel. The durability of the hose is not meant to deal with high pressure like that. They gave you what is apparently a vacuum hose.

100% understandable and good in my eyes you checked first, itd sure be embaressing to be wrong in that situation.

If they give you crap (aka anything less than full refund and sincere appologies) contact the corporate branch and act FURIOUS even if youre not that kind of guy. Tell the highest up guy how youre seeing red, how you couldve been killed on the highway, how you have kids in the car, how you feel lied to and abused, how you are physically and emotionally distressed, etc etc. You want the guy in the suit to actually get mad at the guy in the coveralls for having to listen to your sob story lol so relish it up a little.

Nobody likes a suit yelling at them.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:34 AM

Have it verified by a ASE certified mechanic. Go to an actual shop and show them after you put your new one on.
I'm with you on this. I made a friend at the local Nissan dealership who may be able to tell me if the hose is the incorrect one. I'm going to see if he knows or get one of the mechanics at the dealership to tell me.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OP - when you do determine the correct diameter hose, can you post it so I can do as you are? Your situation has inspired me to find the source of my car's smell and just having come inside from the cold, I've found a third hose on the same line as the two your Sears mechanic replaced, that has a slow drip.

To anyone else - how dangerous is this to have a small fuel hose leak on very cold days? I may get the hoses and have my mechanic fix it this week. Too damn cold for me to do this right now.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
If the hose says "not for fuel" in capital letters, then yeah its not meant for fuel. The durability of the hose is not meant to deal with high pressure like that. They gave you what is apparently a vacuum hose.
It actually appears to say "NOT FOR FUEL INJECTOR7" (yes, with the 7, and I have no idea what that indicates). Or it may say something else entirely. All I can make out is this: "OR7 NOT FOR FUEL". My Sherlock-ian powers of deduction tell me this probably had "NOT FOR FUEL INJECTOR7" printed over and over on the hose before it was cut.

100% understandable and good in my eyes you checked first, itd sure be embaressing to be wrong in that situation.
Glad you understand my hesitancy. The mechanic seemed like a decent guy, and he showed me a few issues I need to fix that I hadn't been aware of. So he deserves to get paid for that part of his time, as well as installing another hose. But I'm definitely going to get a refund for the incorrect installation.

If they give you crap (aka anything less than full refund and sincere appologies) contact the corporate branch and act FURIOUS even if youre not that kind of guy.
I don't have to act furious. I am furious.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by mikeg75
OP - when you do determine the correct diameter hose, can you post it so I can do as you are?
I'll definitely get you that information once I get it. I suspect it's 5/16" but I don't know that for certain.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:01 AM

For everyone that still has the fuel smell problem and can't quite figure out what it is, definitely replace these little hoses and see if it goes away. To make it easy on you guys I just went and measured my hose because I couldn't remember what size it was.

The O.D. (outside diameter) is 9/16" (or .562")
The I.D. (inside diameter) is 5/16" (or .312")

Here is a link to Advance Auto for the exact part I used:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ose#fragment-2

Here is a link to the clamps that go with it:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...uel+hose+clamp

It is 18" of Fuel Injection hose for $7.99 rated for all types of fuel injection. Once you remove the old ones, cut the new hose to the same length.

OP, be sure you do this, and definitely make sure you do like the other guy suggested and contact corporate office about your traumatic experience.

Last edited by Bone Collector; 01-26-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:01 AM

I just bought some at AutoZone. My girlfriend doesn't want me to install it until I have our Nissan friend take a look at it.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:32 AM

For everyone that still has the fuel smell problem and can't quite figure out what it is, definitely replace these little hoses and see if it goes away. To make it easy on you guys I just went and measured my hose because I couldn't remember what size it was.

The O.D. (outside diameter) is 9/16" (or .562")
The I.D. (inside diameter) is 5/16" (or .312")

Here is a link to Advance Auto for the exact part I used:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ose#fragment-2
Here's the one I just purchased:

It appears to be this one, which has an inside diameter of .313". I purchased these hose clamps.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:49 AM

By the way, the hose I just purchased is printed SAE J30R7. Checking the part on AutoZone's website indicates that it is "Made to meet or exceed SAE J30R7 specifications." I've no idea what SAE J30R7 specifications are, but I'm deducing that may be what was printed on the hose the Sears Auto mechanic installed in my Maxima. So once I have a better idea of what SAE J30R7 specifications are, maybe I'll be able to figure out what type of hose was used.

My concern is that perhaps Sears used a hose that meets the specifications of this particular location in the fuel system, but wouldn't be applicable for use as a replacement hose for another location in the fuel system:

Here's a view of the hose when looking at the engine compartment from the front:

To reiterate, could the hose Sears used be appropriate for use at that location, but not at another location (such as near to or coming right out of the injector)? Are all fuel system hoses required to be of the same specifications? Or are there varying types of hoses uses along the fuel path? (I know the fuel rail is metal; I'm just referring to the hoses here.)
Old 01-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Banned

By the way, the hose I just purchased is printed SAE J30R7. Checking the part on AutoZone's website indicates that it is "Made to meet or exceed SAE J30R7 specifications." I've no idea what SAE J30R7 specifications are, but I'm deducing that may be what was printed on the hose the Sears Auto mechanic installed in my Maxima. So once I have a better idea of what SAE J30R7 specifications are, maybe I'll be able to figure out what type of hose was used.

My concern is that perhaps Sears used a hose that meets the specifications of this particular location in the fuel system, but wouldn't be applicable for use as a replacement hose for another location in the fuel system:

Here's a view of the hose when looking at the engine compartment from the front:

To reiterate, could the hose Sears used be appropriate for use at that location, but not at another location (such as near to or coming right out of the injector)? Are all fuel system hoses required to be of the same specifications? Or are there varying types of hoses uses along the fuel path? (I know the fuel rail is metal; I'm just referring to the hoses here.)
If its not rated for fuel injection than it doesnt matter where it is,in terms of where you put it! if its installed anywhere between the fuel pump and the and the injectors its gonna be under more pressure than its rated for!(considering, if in fact its not for fuel injector because of the psi it cant take, or if the rubber compound used in the hose slowly deteriorates from the gas!)

Just go to autozone and get the right hose...probably 5 bux....as far as going the job...i think my girlfriend could do it!

Last edited by 98maxaholic; 01-26-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 98maxaholic
Just go to autozone and get the right hose...probably 5 bux....as far as going the job...i think my girlfriend could do it!
With your manner, I have some doubts about the reality of your having a girlfriend. I'd appreciate if you only continue to contribute messages of value to the conversation. Otherwise, please post your attempts at insults elsewhere. I understand Reddit is good for that.

If you'd actually read my prior posts, you'd realize I've already picked up a hose at AutoZone earlier today. I respect my own girlfriend, who wants me to wait until I confirm with Nissan that the part is inappropriate before I swap it out for another one.

Last edited by Herald; 01-26-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:33 PM

This hose is as close to the injectors as it can get. Just saying.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by tosheto
This hose is as close to the injectors as it can get. Just saying.
Good to know!
Old 01-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Administrator

It actually appears to say "NOT FOR FUEL INJECTOR7" (yes, with the 7, and I have no idea what that indicates). Or it may say something else entirely. All I can make out is this: "OR7 NOT FOR FUEL". My Sherlock-ian powers of deduction tell me this probably had "NOT FOR FUEL INJECTOR7" printed over and over on the hose before it was cut.
Here's the one I just purchased:

It appears to be this one, which has an inside diameter of .313". I purchased these hose clamps.

Sherlock Homes,

Back when you saw "OR7" you assumed that was part of the word injector. Looking at your new hose, it reads "J30R7"...get rid of the J3 and what do you have...OR7. It seems you have figured this out by your second post. IMO, you're thinking way too much into this. There's no disputing that your Sears hose reads "Not for Fuel" as hoses that aren't specified for fuel use often read. Not For Fuel mean just that, Not For Fuel. Location doesn't matter.

And it seems you've answered your own dilemma of where to buy it. Autozone sells it by the foot for about $2/ft.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:44 PM

Is there a return line on the '95 Maxima, or are these return-less? I keep coming across this term, return line, but I'm not certain what it's function is. If so, what does it return unused fuel to? The fuel tank?

I suspect the Maxima does not have a return line, but I want to make certain.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Is there a return line on the '95 Maxima, or are these return-less? I keep coming across this term, return line, but I'm not certain what it's function is. If so, what does it return unused fuel to? The fuel tank?

I suspect the Maxima does not have a return line, but I want to make certain.
Yes, your Max and all 4th gens have a return line. Unused fuel returns back to the gas tank.

Quick Reply: The Right Hose For The Job?