4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Am I using the wrong size battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 AM

Am I using the wrong size battery?

So, I was told by a shop that the battery I'm using is 200 or 300 lower than what the car calls for (the same place that changed the battery the 1st time, instead of pulling the dead alternator He wanted to sell me larger the interstate battery. Now, when I bought the car, that's what it came with from the last owner. But then, it died and I went to advance and got this:

AutoCraft Automotive Battery, Group Size 26R, 540 CCA
Part No 26R-2
Warranty 1 YR FREE REPLACEMENT

It's a smaller battery, and it doesn't quite fit on the plate for the car. However, when choosing battery online, it suggested this was the right fit for the car.

Should I go ahead and give them back this battery, and buy an interstate one or maybe a larger autocraft one? What would be the proper size?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:13 AM

The battery tray should be a little bit bigger, they are never an exact fit.

The battery size (or group size) specified by Nissan is 80D26L, a Japanese standard that we don't use in the United States. The closest thing is group size 24. Group size 26 is a little smaller, but not really anything to be concerned about. A lot of places will put in a type 35, which is really small. I had a type 35 put in my 97 Max and it worked fine for 5 years.

Sizes in mm: (length x width x height)
80D26L = 260 x 172 x 200 (or 225)
type 24 = 260 x 173 x 225
type 26 = 208 x 173 x 197

The CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) of a battery can vary because of what is inside the battery, not only because of the physical size. Because you live in Texas, you don't need the high CCA battery like someone in Minnesota or Maine. Those people really can use the 800 CCA batteries.

There are two Nissan specifications for the battery. A warm climate specification is 356 CCA. This is probably equal to the small type 35 battery. For winter climates, the spec is 582 CCA. This would be the type 24 battery.

While I have posted dimensions, every manufacturer seems to vary a little bit. I have 11 slightly different sizes for the Japanese 80D26. US manufacturers are kinda the same.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Also depends what options you have in the car, if you have the bare bones model like a gxe in warm climate, you should be fine with the smaller battery. But in cold climates with lots of power options it is recommended to get the beefier battery.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Because you live in Texas, you don't need the high CCA battery like someone in Minnesota or Maine. Those people really can use the 800 CCA batteries.

There are two Nissan specifications for the battery. A warm climate specification is 356 CCA. This is probably equal to the small type 35 battery. For winter climates, the spec is 582 CCA. This would be the type 24 battery.
Ahhh, thanks for breaking that down. BTW, I don't live in no Tejas lol. I'm in Colorado. We don't get long spells of cold like Minnesota, but I've had to start the car up at 0 degrees give or take a few times. So from what you're saying, this battery number is okay for this climate?

Also, why would someone recommend me get a bigger battery? Then, the guy at advanced awhile back said the battery was too big How hard can it be lol?

Originally Posted by nsnrider
Also depends what options you have in the car, if you have the bare bones model like a gxe in warm climate, you should be fine with the smaller battery. But in cold climates with lots of power options it is recommended to get the beefier battery.
That's what I figured. I mean, it's not like I've got a dashboard that shows tire pressure, oil pressure, mpg, and a giant touch screen radio/ac display like the Chrysler 300. But I've added a sony head-unit/speakers and power passenger side seats..but no Bose system.

the battery has worked fine for me...but just want to make sure I'm not prematurely draining the alternator or anything.

Last edited by 97_GXE; 02-28-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by 97_GXE
Ahhh, thanks for breaking that down. BTW, I don't live in no Tejas lol. I'm in Colorado. We don't get long spells of cold like Minnesota, but I've had to start the car up at 0 degrees give or take a few times. So from what you're saying, this battery number is okay for this climate?

Also, why would someone recommend me get a bigger battery? Then, the guy at advanced awhile back said the battery was too big How hard can it be lol?
I don't know where I got Texas from. I thought I read it in your original post.

If your engine starts up without long cranking times, you could probably get by with the smaller type 35, but I would not advise that. The type 24 you currently have should be just fine. Did you go through winter with the current battery? It meets Nissan's specs. Going to an 800 CCA battery is like using a 5 gallon bucket of water when you only need 2 gallons. It won't hurt but it won't help either.

A lot of these guys tell you you need the big 800 CCA battery because they are going by the old guidelines from when big 6 and 7 liter engines were pretty common. Our little engines combined with an excellent ignition system don't need a monster battery.

Originally Posted by 97_GXE
That's what I figured. I mean, it's not like I've got a dashboard that shows tire pressure, oil pressure, mpg, and a giant touch screen radio/ac display like the Chrysler 300. But I've added a sony head-unit/speakers and power passenger side seats..but no Bose system.

the battery has worked fine for me...but just want to make sure I'm not prematurely draining the alternator or anything.
When the engine is running, the battery should not be supplying power. The battery is for starting the car, the alternator is for when the car is running. If you were to add a lot of high amperage electrical equipment on your car, then you need to look at getting a higher amperage alternator. What you mentioned is not anywhere near excessive.

The car was equipped with a 110 amp alternator originally. The car with every piece factory equipment Nissan would put on it would not need 110 amps. The alternator has reserve capacity.

It is true that if the alternator worked at it maximum all the time, it would fail quicker. This is true of anything electrical, mechanical or animal.