4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help Diagnosing Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help Diagnosing Electrical Problem

My radio, wipers and clock fail intermittently. It happens infrequently and usually on a longer trip. If I turn off the ignition and restart the engine everything is normal. My mechanic can't diagnose it unless it has failed. He has suggested a wiring short or connection, ignition switch, relay or engine control module. Thanks for any suggestions in how to diagnose or fix this problem.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by dmaaske@wi.rr.com
My radio, wipers and clock fail intermittently. It happens infrequently and usually on a longer trip. If I turn off the ignition and restart the engine everything is normal. My mechanic can't diagnose it unless it has failed. He has suggested a wiring short or connection, ignition switch, relay or engine control module. Thanks for any suggestions in how to diagnose or fix this problem.
Try swapping out the ignition switch not the mechanical part the electrical side with the plug.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:53 AM

It could be the ignition switch as The Fixer said. there are many contacts inside the ignition switch, any one of which could be getting worn.

When this happens, see if your side mirrors still work. They would also be affected by the ignition switch.

Also, just to make sure, what year is your car? The electrical systems vary a little from year to year.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I replaced the ignition switch. Will monitor to see if this is the fix.