4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help Needed: Milky Substance in Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 07:17 PM

Help Needed: Milky Substance in Intake

Hi Guys,
In an effort to help my gas mileage, I replaced one of my primary O2 sensors tonight. Also went to clean MAF sensor filament. Noticed it was oily in the intake accordion tube, and when cleaning the gasket between the two halves of the box in the middle of the accordion tube (the resonator) slipped off, so I took everything up to the throttle body off. When I took one of the two large hoses off of the intake tube, there was some milky water/oil in there. I then decided to check my oil and it was on the low end of the dipstick. I don't want to jump and assume the worse, but does this point to a bad head gasket? No overheating problems ever. New PCV valves as well. EGR is throwing a code (probably plugged tube). Can the resonator be taken apart to reseat the gasket? Look glued together to me. Thanks!

Last edited by dutch300zx; 02-28-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:45 PM

bad headgasket is coolant in your oil, if you have oil in the air intake either the PCV system is wonking out or you have blowby

what colour is the substance?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:34 PM

It was creamy colored, definitely looked like some water with it as well. I fixed the gasket inside the resonator (since I found it's glued together and doesn't come apart to fix easily), wiped everything as clean as I could, cleaned MAF filament, and put it all back together. Seemed ok on test drive. Oil was a little dirty, but looked normal, and radiator was full and coolant still looked green and clean. The milky substance was coming from the hose that connects the front head to the resonator. Surprised PCV system would be causing issues since PCV valve has maybe 3000 miles on it. Is there anything else that can get plugged up? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2014, 08:47 PM

I've had that on a couple cars I've owned. Usually happens in the winter. My best guess, is that the oil does not heat up enough for the water to evaporate off completely, and some of it condenses in the PCV hoses. I cleaned out the hoses, and have never had a problem.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by dutch300zx
It was creamy colored, definitely looked like some water with it as well. I fixed the gasket inside the resonator (since I found it's glued together and doesn't come apart to fix easily), wiped everything as clean as I could, cleaned MAF filament, and put it all back together. Seemed ok on test drive. Oil was a little dirty, but looked normal, and radiator was full and coolant still looked green and clean. The milky substance was coming from the hose that connects the front head to the resonator. Surprised PCV system would be causing issues since PCV valve has maybe 3000 miles on it. Is there anything else that can get plugged up? Thanks!
in that case its what Finkle mentioned probably. PCV system gets rid of moisture in your oil, if you dont get the oil up to operating temperature enough, the moisture builds up with the oil and can cause the creamy stuff youre seeing. its probably under your oil cap as well as where you found it, just wipe it all off as best as you can

usually this happens on older peoples cars when they just make a 5 minute drive to the store twice a week, oil doesnt get warm so the PCV cant get rid of the moisture and it builds up
Old 03-01-2014, 04:43 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Finkle
I've had that on a couple cars I've owned. Usually happens in the winter. My best guess, is that the oil does not heat up enough for the water to evaporate off completely, and some of it condenses in the PCV hoses. I cleaned out the hoses, and have never had a problem.
Ladies and gentleman, we have a winner!