4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone have a good video or write up for seafoaming?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:20 PM

Anyone have a good video or write up for seafoaming?

Checked the stickies but the link to the video doesn't exist anymore....tried YouTube but it's a bunch of people taking video of the exhaust fumes it gives you after they have seafoamed nothing showing where and how??
Old 03-06-2014, 06:29 PM

Search there's plenty!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:43 PM

you've been here wayyy too long to not know how to seafoam. i mean, you joined a few months after me. 1. unhook the left side hose from brake booster,2. get a can of liquid seafoam and pour into a cup,3. get a small section of 3/8 rubber hose, ( about a foot ) hook it onto the brake booster, 4. start car, slowly, suck up a little seafoam at a time, it'll stall the engine if you just stick the hose in and suck it all up at once, 5. empty all of the seafoam into to the intake and let car run for about 5-10 minutes.6. take around the block until most of the smoke dissapears, done.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:44 PM

Take off the brake booster vac hose. The brake booster is that big round thing under the hood on the firewall. Vac hose is fat thick. Pour it in there. Enjoy.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:39 PM

or use the Seafoam spray and spray it into the intake, after the MAF.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:08 AM

I'm going to do a seafoam treatment again today or tomorrow. I can make a video and a Wright up for you if you want.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
you've been here wayyy too long to not know how to seafoam. i mean, you joined a few months after me. 1. unhook the left side hose from brake booster,2. get a can of liquid seafoam and pour into a cup,3. get a small section of 3/8 rubber hose, ( about a foot ) hook it onto the brake booster, 4. start car, slowly, suck up a little seafoam at a time, it'll stall the engine if you just stick the hose in and suck it all up at once, 5. empty all of the seafoam into to the intake and let car run for about 5-10 minutes.6. take around the block until most of the smoke dissapears, done.
The direction on the seafoam can I have says to remove your brake booster line and with the engine running pour a 1/2 cup slowly into the booster line. Then reconnect the line, shut the motor down and wait 5 minutes, for the seafoam to creep into different areas like valves etc. Restart the car and start burning the seafoam and carbon buildup off. It will be very Smokey! Like a lot of smoke. Rev the engine and wait for the smoke to starts to subside. Then put another 1/2 cup into your tank and fill up. You can even add a bit to your oil, especially if your going to be changing the oil soon.
Ill make a step by step wright-up with pictures as well as a video. If I'm lucky the mods will like it enough to put it in the stickies.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Expect LOTS of smoke. Last time i seafoamed me and two friends all did our cars at once in my friends driveway. Needless to say my friends neighbor was not thrilled to have his family BBQ crashed by endless smoke and three loud cars revving for 15 minutes
Old 03-07-2014, 02:13 PM

Ur right I have been here way to long but I took sometime away from my max because I moved ... But ur right no excuse but I seafoamed today at a friends house and drove home Lmaoo u should have seen all the people trying to tell me my engine was going to blow Lmaoo...

Question though how often should u sea foam? And this was the first time this car has ever been seafoamed should I do it again?
Old 03-07-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by brandnew
Ur right I have been here way to long but I took sometime away from my max because I moved ... But ur right no excuse but I seafoamed today at a friends house and drove home Lmaoo u should have seen all the people trying to tell me my engine was going to blow Lmaoo...

Question though how often should u sea foam? And this was the first time this car has ever been seafoamed should I do it again?
Don't worry about it man.
Anyway here's a video Of me seafoaming my 97 Max today. this video will be in my write up thread after I edit it.
But for now, here's the un-edited version for you just so I could quickly give you the video that you were requesting. You will probably have to copy and paste, until I can find a way to make it an active link.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zyOWiw8xi1w#

Ignore my questions about a misfiring, is through the Seafoam as a burns off. That's part of the few things I have to edit out.

Hope this helps a little
Nathan W.

Last edited by 6cyl-97maxima; 03-07-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by brandnew

How much seafoam did you use? Where did you put it through? Its too bad you seafoamed before I got my video up. I guess all that trouble will be worth it once I make a new thread with the Wright up and edited video. Maybe ill make the stickies
Old 03-07-2014, 06:46 PM

Yea my bad man I needed something to do after my failed attempt to change my knock sensor after following the writeups and YouTube ...
Old 03-07-2014, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Expect LOTS of smoke. Last time i seafoamed me and two friends all did our cars at once in my friends driveway. Needless to say my friends neighbor was not thrilled to have his family BBQ crashed by endless smoke and three loud cars revving for 15 minutes
Ha ha ha! That's funny!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 PM

i would'nt put this crap into my oil, pouring into intake and gas does the job. and, you don't turn your max off, empty in and let run, revving for 5 or 10 minutes then go cruise down past a fire station for a laugh.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:20 AM

i would'nt put this crap into my oil, pouring into intake and gas does the job. and, you don't turn your max off, empty in and let run, revving for 5 or 10 minutes then go cruise down past a fire station for a laugh.
If that's true, than I guess the directions on the bottle are wrong. Which is doubtfull. I shut the car off for 5 min to give it time to seep into areas and loosen the carbon off. Think does dried food wash off a plate easily or do you usually have to soak it first.
I usually only put it in my crankcase if I'm due for an oil change soon.

Last edited by 6cyl-97maxima; 03-08-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:08 AM

Yes you shut the car off...I do it for at least 10 mins
Old 03-08-2014, 09:40 AM

you don't need to, i never have and never had a problem. once you run around the block for awhile and it sits for awhile after you get back it'll soak all it needs to, trust me.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:31 PM

you don't need to, i never have and never had a problem. once you run around the block for awhile and it sits for awhile after you get back it'll soak all it needs to, trust me.
Well personally ill keep shutting it of for at.least 5min. IMHO by the time you're done reving and driving around the block a lot of the seafoam has already burned off.
Your method works just fine if all you want to do is condition your injectors. But I like the way to give it time to seep. Just My preference. to each their own, right?
Old 03-08-2014, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 6cyl-97maxima
Well personally ill keep shutting it of for at.least 5min. IMHO by the time you're done reving and driving around the block a lot of the seafoam has already burned off.
Your method works just fine if all you want to do is condition your injectors. But I like the way to give it time to seep. Just My preference. to each their own, right?
you must take better care of teh max, i do an injector service and a seafoam once a year and she runs awesome most of the time. i just did a re-learn on the ecu to help the throttle reset and clear any issues with the max and no codes, the way i like it.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:50 AM

you must take better care of teh max, i do an injector service and a seafoam once a year and she runs awesome most of the time. i just did a re-learn on the ecu to help the throttle reset and clear any issues with the max and no codes, the way i like it.
Trust me I take good care of this old car. Much better care than my previous old cars, which I usually just drive into the ground. I.only bought the car last year. I'm still trying to get caught up from the previous owners neglect. He had it parked in the grass for a.couple of years. That in combination with new Brunswick's salty roads, well lets just say rust is normal for us. I just finished putting new breaks, rotors, calipers, pads and lines all around. New tie rods, sway links, starter, alternator, the list goes on.