4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car is surging, won't go above 2k

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Car is surging, won't go above 2k

My 95 Maxima is I guess surging?

I was driving fine and at a stop light it started to surge. It felt like there was a fuel or possibly a no spark feeling. I couldn't get pass 2K and it runs fine on Park for a while then surges and then goes back to normal.

If anyone has had these symptoms please help!
Thank you for your time.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:33 AM

Sounds like your mass air flow sensor went out and I'm saying that because when the car can't rev past 2k rpm that's a symptom of a bad maf. It controls fuel air mixture and it's no longer doing its job. Buy a new or used oem Nissan maf sensor because no aftermarket maf will work and can ruin the engine from bad reading and improper mixture. So only get a oem Nissan maf. There are some people selling them in the classifieds ad here in the forum or you can go to a junkyard or eBay which has a lot of them and it has some good quality used ones that come with a 14 or 30 day warranty for returns. Some of the eBay used ones always work and are tested and there really cheap starting from 30.00 to 100.00. Here's the biggest reason why aftermarkets mags don't work is because the Ecu the cars computer has a hard time communicating and reading the info from aftermarkets mafs and the oem Nissan maf is manufactured by unisia Jecs who makes the Ecu and the maf for our cars.

Last edited by Maxima 97 SE; 05-17-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:00 AM

Need more information.
What were the conditions when the symptom occurred?
Cold motor, hot motor, after interstate speeds, while in traffic, any codes stored ... what?
Old 05-17-2014, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima 97 SE
Sounds like your mass air flow sensor went out and I'm saying that because when the car can't rev past 2k rpm that's a symptom of a bad maf. It controls fuel air mixture and it's no longer doing its job. Buy a new or used oem Nissan maf sensor because no aftermarket maf will work and can ruin the engine from bad reading and improper mixture. So only get a oem Nissan maf. There are some people selling them in the classifieds ad here in the forum or you can go to a junkyard or eBay which has a lot of them and it has some good quality used ones that come with a 14 or 30 day warranty for returns. Some of the eBay used ones always work and are tested and there really cheap starting from 30.00 to 100.00. Here's the biggest reason why aftermarkets mags don't work is because the Ecu the cars computer has a hard time communicating and reading the info from aftermarkets mafs and the oem Nissan maf is manufactured by unisia Jecs who makes the Ecu and the maf for our cars.
Great advice 97. I would pick up a used OEM from the classified section here.

Since I have two 4th gens, I usually keep a couple of working ones on hand in my workshop for when one goes bad. It is not a matter of IF but a matter of WHEN a MAF will fail so it never hurts to keep a working spare on hand.

Salvage yards charge $30 to $35 for used ones around here. So when I buy one, I have to bring it home, clean it up and test in the car just it to see if I bought a bad one. For every good one I've found in a salvage yard, I've also bought a bad one that had to be returned.

You'll save time and money by buying a tested one from a Maxima.org member.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Not being able to go above 2k is the key clue here. With the info you've given us, it does like the MAF.

And in the future, "help" is not an appropriate thread title. Imagine if every thread was titled 'help'.... I've changed your thread title. Welcome to the Org.
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-contest.html