4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Non-Nissan belts

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 02:31 PM
sumnerp

Non-Nissan belts

Is it ok to use non-Nissan belts?

I had all 3 belts in my 96 GLE replaced in September, 2001. The belts were replaced by and independent mechanic and he used non-Nissan generic belts. This month I started noticing a squeeking sound for a few seconds when I first turn on the car. I notice additional intermittent squeeking if I'm running the A/C. I just took the car in to Nissan for an oil change, and I asked about tightening the belts to eliminate the squeeking, and their response was that the squeeking is the result of my having non-Nissan belts, and of course they wanted me to buy their $100 belt replacement package. Are they trying to rip me off?

Old 01-21-2002, 02:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Non-Nissan belts

Originally posted by sumnerp
Is it ok to use non-Nissan belts?

I had all 3 belts in my 96 GLE replaced in September, 2001. The belts were replaced by and independent mechanic and he used non-Nissan generic belts. This month I started noticing a squeeking sound for a few seconds when I first turn on the car. I notice additional intermittent squeeking if I'm running the A/C. I just took the car in to Nissan for an oil change, and I asked about tightening the belts to eliminate the squeeking, and their response was that the squeeking is the result of my having non-Nissan belts, and of course they wanted me to buy their $100 belt replacement package. Are they trying to rip me off?
There is a good chance that the squeaking is being caused by the "no-name" belts. You're always taking a chance by putting in generic parts instead of OEM. Sometimes it works, other times it dosen't. Email Robert if you are looking for replacement OEM parts as they are having a 30% off sale... nissanparts@bellsouth.net
Old 01-21-2002, 03:03 PM
sumnerp

Re: Re: Non-Nissan belts

Originally posted by ljl10

There is a good chance that the squeaking is being caused by the "no-name" belts. You're always taking a chance by putting in generic parts instead of OEM. Sometimes it works, other times it dosen't. Email Robert if you are looking for replacement OEM parts as they are having a 30% off sale... nissanparts@bellsouth.net
I'm going to take the car back to the dealer who installed the no-name belts... for my information, is the squeeking noise indicative of a problem, or is it just cosmetic?

Old 01-21-2002, 03:16 PM
supertool

I have noise from no-name belts too, I think.

It's a whistling sound like a turbo
Oh well. Life goes on

Old 01-21-2002, 03:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Non-Nissan belts

Originally posted by sumnerp

I'm going to take the car back to the dealer who installed the no-name belts... for my information, is the squeeking noise indicative of a problem, or is it just cosmetic?
It could be. If the noise gets progressively worse, definitely check it out. If the noise is something you can live with and is not too bad, it's probably just because your mechanic put in a shi%%y belt to save some cash. Just request OEM parts next time and you'll be fine...
Old 01-21-2002, 05:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Non-Nissan belts

Originally posted by ljl10

It could be. If the noise gets progressively worse, definitely check it out. If the noise is something you can live with and is not too bad, it's probably just because your mechanic put in a shi%%y belt to save some cash. Just request OEM parts next time and you'll be fine...
Nissan Belts ? I put 2 new Nissan belts on in October 2001. Two months later I'm driving about 20 miles away from home and one of the belts side sections split. I ended up ripping the end rib as much as possible by hand and started it up hoping the rest would get jammed in a pulley and rip off. That worked. I drove home with what remained.