4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Remote Keyless Range...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:33 AM

Remote Keyless Range...

Alright.. first, a back story on the Maxima, it was hit by a tree and had the back glass replaced, and suffered a few minor dents from the tree (before I bought it) for a while now, I've been messing around with it, and I've given up, I've searched this forum to the best of my ability..and still can't figure it out. The car didn't have the remote, so I ordered one off ebay, programmed it, and it worked fine,,it never seemed to have the best range..but the trunk pop button ALWAYS had great range, but the lock/unlock button didn't, you'd have to touch the remote to the car for it to work..
Okay, I found a post showing where the antenna wires hook up, and everything appears to be hooked up like it should be.. I was thinking in the process of replacing the glass, it wasn't hooked up, but everything looks to be in place. I was wondering if maybe you guys thought it would be just a defective remote? I replaced the batteries in it, and still nothing. It's a Remocon remote from eBay.. But I ordered one off eBay today, that was the OEM remote. But im anxious to know, if it's the remote..or the car and I tried holding down the unlock button (touching to the car, of course..) to get the windows to roll down, and all that it does is unlock the driver door, then all of then, then window switches just click every second I hold it down..but the windows work fine if I use them normally..
Thanks for any input you guys may have!
EDIT: Also.. I can push the lock or unlock button on the remote, then push the trunk pop button at the same time, and it'll get the same range as just pushing the trunk pop button..but it'll do what ever button I pushed first.

Last edited by NissanNismoZ; 07-15-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Report back when you get the OEM remote and install a fresh battery. Until then, there's really no point troubleshooting something you're going to replace anyway.

TIP: If you put the remote to the bottom of your chin (or anywhere on your head really) when you press the button, you'll get extended range.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:54 PM

I believe Nissan says the range is a maximum of 300 feet, but I don't think mine has ever worked at that range. But range is not really your problem. If the trunk pops open at what you feel is an acceptable range, then the antenna in the window and the transmitter in the remote are working just fine.

The way Nissan designed the system is like 2 separate systems built into one box. The remote receiver box in the trunk by the radio antenna gets the radio signals from the antenna wires in the rear window glass.

But when you say that pushing 2 buttons on the keyfob at the same time will make the windows work, I'd say that the remote is messed up.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik

But when you say that pushing 2 buttons on the keyfob at the same time will make the windows work, I'd say that the remote is messed up.
Isn't that a feature to air out the car when it's hot like the feature when you turn the key in the door and it lowers the windows?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
Isn't that a feature to air out the car when it's hot like the feature when you turn the key in the door and it lowers the windows?
On the OEM remote the windows go down if you press and hold the unlock button.

With aftermarket remote, like the one I have, that feature went bye bye.

Range depends on environment. In NYC, a hostile electromagenetic environment, god luck unlocking your car from even 30 feet away.

In south Jersey, at a picnic, my daughter kept playing with my remote and the indicator lights kept blinking from far, faaaaaaar away. 300 feet sounds about right, in favorable conditions.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by NissanNismoZ
Alright.. first, a back story on the Maxima, it was hit by a tree

Those pesky trees, running around and hitting cars.

Seriously though, range is around 150ft on mine, with old batteries
Old 07-19-2014, 01:25 PM

Yeah, to rephrase, they said a tree fell on it! I think it's scared of trees now..
But I received the OEM remote in the mail today and WOW! It works great! I can finally lock/unlock the doors without having to hold the remote to the car!! Looks like the aftermarket remote was just really sucky. It takes a little bit of getting used to though, since i'm used to holding down the unlock button for it to work, i almost always roll the windows down!
Thanks everyone for your input! I have one last question, instead of opening a new thread.. The driver window, when you go to roll it down, the seal on the inside ALWAYS catches the window, and makes it roll down really slow, sometimes I have to roll it back up and pull really hard on the door panel to get it to stop dragging on the window..any ideas?
Old 07-20-2014, 01:13 PM

Can i ask how much that oem remote was? and was it easy to re-sync it. thanks
Old 07-20-2014, 02:39 PM

The OEM remote was 17$ free shipping off ebay, it's used, so some of the paint off the buttons are worn off, but it works GREAT!
The aftermarket remote, I had to sync it by touching the top of the remote to the ebrake metal frame..this remote synced first try and it has really good range! Our walmart has a pretty huge parking lot, and i parked it at the end, and walked to the front, and it STILL reached! I could tell, because I locked it, and the hazards flashed. I may have just gotten a bad remote with the aftermarket one, but I can say, a used OEM remote works pretty great!