4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 06:43 AM

Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

What's the brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?
Opinions?

I just installed 55w PIAA super plasma H3's and they make my
PIAA bright white's look yellow.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:03 AM

Re: Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

Originally posted by marcel
Opinions?

Does PIAA make Super Plasma 9004s? I have the Platinum Superwhites and Im thinking about upgrading to a brighter, better looking bulb, even though I lovethe Platinums.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:28 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Eurolight makes a new bulb. It's clear with Xenon gas instead of Halogen. Very similar to PIAA's only they claim color temps of about 4800K. Thats nice and white.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:12 AM

Re: Re: Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

Originally posted by araffio

Does PIAA make Super Plasma 9004s? I have the Platinum Superwhites and Im thinking about upgrading to a brighter, better looking bulb, even though I lovethe Platinums.
Not according to their web site.
I think Sylvania makes a new bulb that MAY be a bit whiter
than the PIAA. I WISH PIAA made a super plasma 9004, the H3's
I installed are awesome
Old 01-31-2002, 12:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

I installed are awesome
Do you just plug the H3's in and your done or do you have to do anything special on the stock fogs?

SuDZ
Old 01-31-2002, 02:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You should try the new Xtreme White by PIAA for the 9004 and H3. It gives off a nice bright white color to it. Super plasma has a slight tint of purplish color while the Xtreme white is mainly white color only. The PIAA bulbs are direct replacement for the factory stock bulbs. No modification needed.
Old 01-31-2002, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Stealth Max
You should try the new Xtreme White by PIAA for the 9004 and H3. It gives off a nice bright white color to it. Super plasma has a slight tint of purplish color while the Xtreme white is mainly white color only. The PIAA bulbs are direct replacement for the factory stock bulbs. No modification needed.
I found them here for like 43 bucks and change. Are these what your running? Did they make a big difference over stock?

SuDZ
Old 01-31-2002, 02:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes I got the new Xtreme white headlights 9004 and H3 foglight on my 4th gen Maxima. The PIAA is better than our stock bulbs in looks and brightness any day or night.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:49 PM
1st97SE

Re: Re: Re: Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

I installed are awesome
Sylvania DOES make a new bulb. The part number is 9004ST. They are called SilverStar. I got them from Advanced Auto Parts for $25.00 each. They are beautiful lights. I have nothing to compare them to except for stock halogens, but I would recommend them to anyone. I love mine. Sorry no pics, I don't have a dig. cam. or a scanner.

1st97SE

Old 01-31-2002, 10:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

Originally posted by 1st97SE

Sylvania DOES make a new bulb. The part number is 9004ST. They are called SilverStar. I got them from Advanced Auto Parts for $25.00 each. They are beautiful lights. I have nothing to compare them to except for stock halogens, but I would recommend them to anyone. I love mine. Sorry no pics, I don't have a dig. cam. or a scanner.

1st97SE
I just installed the same thing ealier. Nice bulbs.

Okay you know the corner lights next to the head lights?... Well what kind of bulb is that? Do they make brighter ones for that too? It just looks so yellow now I want to replace them. I got my H3's coming in soon too so everything will be brighter so might as well take care of the ones next to the head lights too. Anyone know what kind of bulb to look for?

SuDZ
Old 01-31-2002, 10:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

Originally posted by SuDZ

Okay you know the corner lights next to the head lights?... Well what kind of bulb is that? Do they make brighter ones for that too? It just looks so yellow now I want to replace them. I got my H3's coming in soon too so everything will be brighter so might as well take care of the ones next to the head lights too. Anyone know what kind of bulb to look for?

SuDZ
Those are size 1157. I have seen some "xenon" replacements for them, but if you get some, make sure you are getting an actual xenon charged bulp and not just blue painted.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

Originally posted by Prolepsis

Those are size 1157. I have seen some "xenon" replacements for them, but if you get some, make sure you are getting an actual xenon charged bulp and not just blue painted.
Cool. 1157 huh? Is that a common bulb or will I have to do some searching? Oh well I will try to see waht I can come up with.

Thanks

SuDZ
Old 01-31-2002, 11:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

Cool. 1157 huh? Is that a common bulb or will I have to do some searching? Oh well I will try to see waht I can come up with.

Thanks

SuDZ
They are very common. eBay has lots of them, but overpriced, so do a little bit or searching.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

They are very common. eBay has lots of them, but overpriced, so do a little bit or searching.
Actually this morning I tried looking all over around my house but could not find any. The guy told me that the police made them illegal for anything brighter than OEM bulbs in the corners. Since I am trying just for white ones I will give it a shot. Maybe since I dont want blue or anything nobody will notice but me.

SuDZ
Old 02-01-2002, 11:08 AM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

SuDZ
it's the lamp not the bulb messing up the color....i got word from someone here that the 97 lamps are clear...i would just get those
Old 02-01-2002, 12:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

Originally posted by meccanoble

it's the lamp not the bulb messing up the color....i got word from someone here that the 97 lamps are clear...i would just get those
Is it a direct replacement?

SuDZ
Old 02-01-2002, 09:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

Most people don't have 1157 bulbs just lying around the house; they are common on cars, not in desk drawers!

97 corners will not affect the color that is emitted. The newer lenses do not diffuse the light as much as the older ones, making it appear sharper, but it will still have same the yellowish tone. Xenon bulbs are your best bet. If you still are thinking of replacing the lamps themselves, you should consider that the lense is designed to match the 97-99 headlight lenses, and may look a little out of place next to 95-96 headlights. It might look okay, but I wouldn't recomend it.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

Most people don't have 1157 bulbs just lying around the house; they are common on cars, not in desk drawers!

97 corners will not affect the color that is emitted. The newer lenses do not diffuse the light as much as the older ones, making it appear sharper, but it will still have same the yellowish tone. Xenon bulbs are your best bet. If you still are thinking of replacing the lamps themselves, you should consider that the lense is designed to match the 97-99 headlight lenses, and may look a little out of place next to 95-96 headlights. It might look okay, but I wouldn't recomend it.
Well mine is a 98 which would be the right headlights anyway. I was just curious if there was a difference in the housing between the 98 and 97 that he was talking about.

SuDZ
Old 02-01-2002, 09:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

Well mine is a 98 which would be the right headlights anyway. I was just curious if there was a difference in the housing between the 98 and 97 that he was talking about.

SuDZ
Oh wow, it's right there in your sig! I'm just that observant, I was thinking you had a 95 or 96. The lights on the 97s and 98s are exactly the same. They even have the same Nissan part number.
Old 02-02-2002, 11:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

Oh wow, it's right there in your sig! I'm just that observant, I was thinking you had a 95 or 96. The lights on the 97s and 98s are exactly the same. They even have the same Nissan part number.
Yeah I figured they were the same. I think I just read what he was saying the first time as something different.

I tried picking up bulbs today to stick in the corner but the shop closed like three hours early. Guess I gotta wait until Monday now.

SuDZ
Old 02-03-2002, 12:53 AM
Maxima owner since 2000

check Options Auto Salon. they sell the PIAA Xtreme White bulbs for all bulb types: 9004, H3, 168 (same as our 194), 1157, 1156
Old 02-03-2002, 01:19 AM

I don't think it is the lenses that gives the sidemarkers that yellowish color...it IS the bulbs. I changed to PIAA 1157's the other week. Got them from a local shop for a lot more than I should have paid...now I see them all over ebay for $15. after putting them in, they were a good color, but still kinda dim. I shaved the top nubs and put them in backwards...way better than stock.
Old 02-03-2002, 04:44 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Brighest headlight bulbs with standard 55w rating?

Opinions?

Narva Rangepower 9004. The whitest and brightest 55w bulb.