4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

3rd Time Changing Rear Valve Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

3rd Time Changing Rear Valve Cover

First time used RTV on specified corners, and after replacing manifold cover, I decide to replace the PCV. I start to pull , the PCV cracks, and the bottom half drops into the rear valve cover!

Pull the manifold off, rear valve cover, and buy a whole new set of Felpro gaskets, then replace the rear gasket because the RTV is basically bonded to the gasket now. Put everything back together.

Afterwards, decided to do all : 3 o2 sensors, Cat, fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs for emissions. Do 1 , 3 & 5 on the front valve cover...simple. Then, I go to do the 2, 4, & 6, and find that the spark plug tube seal is unseated somehow! I'm pissed because everything is basically together and now this!?

Buy another set of Felpro, and begin to take everything apart again. I find that the spark plug seals are intact, and that somehow the rubber seal was just folded during the installation/coil removal process.

Question now is...first time I felt inadequate about just applying RTV on ONLY the 2 corners, and it was easy to get off. Second time, I applied RTV on the corners, plus all around the perimeter, and it was a PITA to get off. Now since I'm doing this the third time, should I reapply as per the first method or the second?

Also, I'm kicking myself because after removal of the rear valve cover, and discovery, I just could have rimmed it with a screw driver to get them seated into place?!

I'm all in now, so what's another set of Felpro gaskets at this point? Of course using code TRT25!

Last edited by RIPTIDER; 01-15-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:45 AM

I've tried it both ways. By the book with RTV only in the corner area per FSM, and applied all around the seal perimeter area. Sometimes too much of a good thing isn't always wonderful. The car with RTV all around the seal perimeter started leaking sooner than it should have. As you know it is mess to clean off afterward.

Are you having trouble getting the gasket to stay put in the valve cover while you are trying to mount on the head? Some people use a drop of RTV in a couple corners to hold the gasket in place in the VC while mounting it to the head. I've been successful using a drop of super glue (sparingly) in a couple of key high side locations to hold the gasket in place while I mount the VC on the head.

I had to get the PVC seal at the dealer.

If I recall correctly, the plug tube seals should be positioned to properly mate up with the taper of the spark plug tube end.

The VC bolts have a shoulder that stops the bolts on the head as your apply torque. Too much torque will result in snapping off the bolt in the head. The bolts cannot be torqued up beyond the shoulder contact point.

Cool stuff on the Advance Auto discount code TRT25. $20 off is a sweet deal.

Here's a FelPro gasket pic below.

Name:  FelPro_Gasket1_zps58c4425a.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  650.5 KB

Last edited by CS_AR; 01-16-2015 at 07:22 AM.