4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Install Walboro Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 09:17 AM

Install Walboro Fuel pump

Hey all, yesterday I installed the walboro fuel pump...I had an universal harness but after looking it isn['t needed right? the wiring harness clipped right in. Well the reason I asked is cause now the car won't start, I hear the pump on the initial turn of the key.

My issue is the pick up tube with the sock on it...seemed kinda loose when I put it back on with the retainer clip. My FPR is only reading 20-30 psi no matter how much I open it up.

Should I get a new tube with retainer clip? I'm wondering if I flooded it when trying to crank it back up...I had a dead battery as well so trying to start her from a jump start.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:12 AM

Stock wiring is used and hopefully you used the OEM fuel sock otherwise you will run out of gas even though you still have a quarter tank.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:40 PM

Yeah I used the stock sock, just swapped the pump. I'm going to try and crank it this evening, if it doesn't crank I guess I'll pull the plugs and see if they are soaked. I had it running right before I swapped the pump..
Old 01-20-2015, 02:11 PM

Sounds like you got a defective part to me.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Sounds to me like you flooded it. Walbro pumps out more than stock pump.

Just curious, but if you're NA, why the Walbro and AFPR?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Sounds to me like you flooded it. Walbro pumps out more than stock pump.

Just curious, but if you're NA, why the Walbro and AFPR?

Got home yesterday and she fired right up...I flooded her. The FPR was reading over 80psi...

The reason for the pump is cause I'm going turbo. Just a step towards it. Either at the end of the month the car is going to a local exhaust shop or I'm buying the piping from t6378tp.

The only thing I have left to buy is the oil cooler and oil and coolant lines for the turbo..and a sandwich plate.

I'll be hopefully installing the EMU this weekend coming up. I was suppose to do it Monday but when the car wouldn't start from the fuel pump I didn't want to add anything else until I could figure that issue out.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by max1008
Got home yesterday and she fired right up...I flooded her. The FPR was reading over 80psi... The reason for the pump is cause I'm going turbo. Just a step towards it. Either at the end of the month the car is going to a local exhaust shop or I'm buying the piping from t6378tp. The only thing I have left to buy is the oil cooler and oil and coolant lines for the turbo..and a sandwich plate. I'll be hopefully installing the EMU this weekend coming up. I was suppose to do it Monday but when the car wouldn't start from the fuel pump I didn't want to add anything else until I could figure that issue out.
Glad you got it.
When you said 20-30psi no matter what, it didn't sound good.
Where did the 80psi come from all the sudden? Lol
Old 01-21-2015, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
Glad you got it.
When you said 20-30psi no matter what, it didn't sound good.
Where did the 80psi come from all the sudden? Lol

When it read such low psi I cranked the adjustable nut down to see if there was a difference at all...guessing when she fired up that's how far I opened it up.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:07 AM
Black Lion

Got home yesterday and she fired right up...I flooded her. The FPR was reading over 80psi...

The reason for the pump is cause I'm going turbo. Just a step towards it. Either at the end of the month the car is going to a local exhaust shop or I'm buying the piping from t6378tp.

The only thing I have left to buy is the oil cooler and oil and coolant lines for the turbo..and a sandwich plate.

I'll be hopefully installing the EMU this weekend coming up. I was suppose to do it Monday but when the car wouldn't start from the fuel pump I didn't want to add anything else until I could figure that issue out.
I also transferred all the items from the stock fuel pump to the Walboro pump. Tips from the Wiz, you will now be able to read the correct last level of fuel preventing a false reading

Do yourself a favor and get Nistune instead of EMU. Its much more stable and its plug and play, no wiring needed. You will need a 95 96 ECU to run Nistune though.

I wired my EMU myself and it was a nightmare, just a tough spot to work in. I had to wire everything back to stock when I switched to Nistune.. just painful...

For a sandwich plate check out the Mishimoto sandwich plate adaptor and cooler kit. Comes with everything you need.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
I also transferred all the items from the stock fuel pump to the Walboro pump. Tips from the Wiz, you will now be able to read the correct last level of fuel preventing a false reading

Do yourself a favor and get Nistune instead of EMU. Its much more stable and its plug and play, no wiring needed. You will need a 95 96 ECU to run Nistune though.

I wired my EMU myself and it was a nightmare, just a tough spot to work in. I had to wire everything back to stock when I switched to Nistune.. just painful...

For a sandwich plate check out the Mishimoto sandwich plate adaptor and cooler kit. Comes with everything you need.

I went with EMU for two step and the ability to tune myself and not have to send off my ECU. I already have the 96 ECU in my car and my wiring harness for the EMU is already marked with what wire goes with what.just a matter now of cutting and splicing. I'm dreading the tight spot tbh but I'm in no rush.

I'll look into that oil cooler and sandwich plate.

I've had all these parts for over a year just been lazy and not installing them.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:55 AM

Yeah, no 2 step with the Nistune yet, but you can definitely tune it yourself.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:07 AM
Black Lion

I went with EMU for two step and the ability to tune myself and not have to send off my ECU. I already have the 96 ECU in my car and my wiring harness for the EMU is already marked with what wire goes with what.just a matter now of cutting and splicing. I'm dreading the tight spot tbh but I'm in no rush.

I'll look into that oil cooler and sandwich plate.

I've had all these parts for over a year just been lazy and not installing them.
2 Step isn't that big a deal man, I don't know I guess if its that important to you. You can either send your ECU or Mat at Nistune can set one up for you which is what he did for me with my 95 ECU.

Man that wiring is painful lol get yourself a good soldering iron... Remove the passenger side seat for more room. OHHH.. check out Boomslang, I believe they can make a plug and play harness for EMU but its about 300 bucks. Maxstreets had one.. PM him if you want to go that route.

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
Yeah, no 2 step with the Nistune yet, but you can definitely tune it yourself.

Yes Sir and I doubt there will ever be any 2 step from Nistune. Mat already mentioned there would have to be a high interest in order to invest the time for setting that up for A32.

Most people say its pretty easy to tune Nistune yourself. But dynotune is the best way to go.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:46 AM

Appreciate the advice but this car isn't my daily so I'm not really pressed with time. I'm going to stick with the EMU..Just need to find a base tune I can use for the turbo to adjust from there.
Any ideas?
Old 01-21-2015, 08:23 AM
Black Lion

Appreciate the advice but this car isn't my daily so I'm not really pressed with time. I'm going to stick with the EMU..Just need to find a base tune I can use for the turbo to adjust from there.
Any ideas?
Hmmm what injectors are you running? I was only using 370cc injectors and the car ran funny. Where I'm getting at is Stock ECU tune should get you running unless you have huge injectors.

Hopefully from there you can smooth out your idle and tune.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:29 AM

It's the stock 01DEK injectors..
Old 01-21-2015, 08:32 AM

You thinking about it,,when you select the engine type on the drop down you select the turbo DET motor..so I should be good.