4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Nissan 97 max shifting problems into reverse and jerking

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nissan 97 max shifting problems into reverse and jerking

Recently my Max engine light came on and has been giving me problems with shifting from park into reverse. I had to step on the gas all the way for it to move and it banged and jerked but I got it to reverse and almost hit someone while doing this! Being a female I don't know much about cars so I took it to a friend certified master mechanic who knows his cars! He said without even putting it on a tester that it's most likely the electronic press control selenoid.
Can anyone out there tell me what this part is and if he is correct in assuming that this is the cause or should I take it to a transmission repair shop and have it tested?
If this is the part I need how much approx will it cost and does the transmission need to be taken out to replace it? I am disabled and on a fixed income. I really need to save money and I need my car! Help please.
My friend is always so busy and I hate to keep bothering him so I was hoping someone out there may have the same problem and can guide me in the right direction. Thanks
Old 02-10-2015, 09:38 PM

First, since your SES light is on, take your car to autozone, advance auto or any part store to have them scan the codes for you for free. How long/how many miles since your last trans fluid change?

If you only experience this in reverse, then your friend is probably right, it could be the solenoid that control the reverse gear has gone bad, or the oil channel for reverse gear got clogged. What solenoid does is when transmission start to shift, tranny control module send electric signal to solenoid to open the channel so the trans fluid will create hydraulic pressure to engage a gear clutch to shift to the gear, if the solenoid is bad or channel is clogged, then tranny cannot shift or shift hardly.

The solenoid rebuild kit is just about $100, but you need to drain the fluid, drop the pan, take out trans fluid filter and replace the solenoids, it is not too difficult to do if you can wrench.

But again, pull the codes first and report back.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:07 PM

You can Check your codes yourself on the ecu right next to your gas pedal. Its hidden by a plastic cover that protects it. Directions are in the sticky in this sub forum by pmohr. If you dont feel you can do it show a male the write up and let him do it. No offense but you stated you were a female implying you cant do much. Not trying to be masogynistic here
Old 02-16-2015, 07:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Where can I get a used valve body 97 nissan max cheap. I am in florida

I am having a trans problem on my 97 nissan max and it was the selenoid and the valve body. I need to find a valve body used local. I am in south Florida in the Boca Raton area or Ft Lauderdale.
I can't afford $500 and just need a used one from that year so I can get my car back. It's in my friends shop and he can't seem to find one.
Anyone out there that can help please contact me
Thanks
Deb