4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Plug Wires Broke during tune up, please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 06:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Plug Wires Broke during tune up, please help

Okay so here it the problem. When I was changing the spark plugs on my 97 Maxima along with new coils I ran into a problem. I did the front three (towards the front of the car) with no problems. I started doing the rear ones and I got the two easier ones doe than one last one which is the rare one closest to the driver side. I got the two screws/hex out and was pulling the coil/plug off when the wire broke off. I was able to get the top part which is the coil off but the wire was stuck in there. I proceeded to use needle nose pliers to try and pull off the to part and the spring and all was left was the black plastic middle part. Well, that's where the problem is, I am using needle nose pliers and the plastic part keeps which is the middle part of the plug keeps breaking where I am grabbing it with the pliers and I am not able to get it out. Has this happened to anyone before? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 12-27-2015, 07:11 PM

If you can't get it off with some long needle nose or a pick, you might have to remove the valve cover to get better access.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:01 PM

im confused on what was dropped...are you literally talking about the spark plug wires? or the black stalk w/boot thats connected to the coil pack?
Old 12-27-2015, 10:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by bumpypickle
im confused on what was dropped...are you literally talking about the spark plug wires? or the black stalk w/boot thats connected to the coil pack?
Yes, that would be the black stalk w/boot I guess
Old 12-28-2015, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Liu Kang
Yes, that would be the black stalk w/boot I guess
Your best bet would be to rig up a wire hanger and pull it out. I never had a problem with the stalk getting left in, but I did have a problem on my old max with cylinder 1. (1st rear toward passenger I think) The coil boot got stuck on the sparkplug. I sharpened the end of a wire hanger with a file and bent it like a check mark and dug into the rubber boot and got it off.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:45 AM

You've said that the boot and remaining stalk keep breaking up. If that's the case then those pieces are old and brittle.

Again, if that's the case then I think what you're going to need to do is just continue to bust up the remaining pieces until you can get it all out.

Use a small dia. screw driver of an appropriate length or a pick, as was suggested above, and just keep picking at the remaining boot and stalk breaking it up.

Use a shop vac to continually remove the broken pieces.

I think a small inspection mirror and a flashlight used in combo will allow you to see down into the orifice so you can ensure you've gotten everything out.

Doesn't sound like a big deal ... just take a little time and get it all out.