4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 Maxima hesitation/ stalling issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 01:41 PM

95 Maxima hesitation/ stalling issues

Hey everyone

I have a 95 Maxima SE that's been giving me issues, the car drives fine 90% of the time but it'll hesitate when running hard on the freeway and when I pull to a stop it'll stall out. The car will fire up fine after but usually stalls when the rpms come back down.

This primarily happens at night (I'm assuming it's temperature related), and before anyone says it:

I've cleaned the throttle body, IACV, EGR tube, I've replaced the ECTS, and I've been using Lucas fuel injector cleaner in the gas.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dasmith
Hey everyone I have a 95 Maxima SE that's been giving me issues, the car drives fine 90% of the time but it'll hesitate when running hard on the freeway and when I pull to a stop it'll stall out. The car will fire up fine after but usually stalls when the rpms come back down. This primarily happens at night (I'm assuming it's temperature related), and before anyone says it: I've cleaned the throttle body, IACV, EGR tube, I've replaced the ECTS, and I've been using Lucas fuel injector cleaner in the gas.
Sounds like a TPS issue.

Perhaps a weak/aged MAF may also the culprit.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

MAF seems to be the culprit a lot of the time.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:57 PM

Second that maf cause.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:52 PM

yea i found the problem
I had the MAF tested, it was only showing about half of the airflow coming in to the engine from the intake, which was causing the engine to run lean.
Had the MAF replaced- car no longer stalls and runs great!

now i have another small issue:
the #2 injector blew, i had it replaced. i also had the maf replaced at the same time. Now I'm noticing that the idle is a little rough (much better than it used to be but still not perfect), and when i give it a lot of throttle at 2000-2600 rpm I ca feel the car hesitate, not giving power like expected. As soon as it hits 3000 rpm its fine all the way up.
Also noticing (may be unrelated):
-light ticking noise from IACV
-car jerks when shifting into first or second gear

should I make a new post for all this??
Old 04-07-2016, 08:36 PM
JvG

Have you installed new plugs yet? Might help

What is your idle speed? Jerk in might result if it is too high.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by JvG
Have you installed new plugs yet? Might help

What is your idle speed? Jerk in might result if it is too high.
I installed plugs about 1000 miles ago, and the idle is usually 650-700 rpm
Old 04-10-2016, 12:04 PM

I installed plugs about 1000 miles ago, and the idle is usually 650-700 rpm
I see that you cleaned the egr tube. Did you by any chance take off the intake manifold? If so, did you replace the manifold gasket? If you took off the manifold, spray some carb cleaner or water (I know, your not suppose to spray water) around the manifold where it bolts on. If the engine rpm's change that's your problem. Also did you replace the iacv gasket and is it on properly?
Old 04-10-2016, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Icemule
I see that you cleaned the egr tube. Did you by any chance take off the intake manifold? If so, did you replace the manifold gasket? If you took off the manifold, spray some carb cleaner or water (I know, your not suppose to spray water) around the manifold where it bolts on. If the engine rpm's change that's your problem. Also did you replace the iacv gasket and is it on properly?
I took off the throttle body and iacv but not the manifold. I just ordered new throttle body and iacv gaskets a few days ago, I'll see if that helps

I'll check for any leaks after I swap gaskets
Old 04-15-2016, 03:12 PM

I took off the throttle body and iacv but not the manifold. I just ordered new throttle body and iacv gaskets a few days ago, I'll see if that helps

I'll check for any leaks after I swap gaskets
Fixed it!!!!!!!! Turned out my throttle body gasket had the consistency of a potato chip, I swapped it out and it feels like a new car lol

Thank you everyone for the help
Old 04-15-2016, 03:31 PM
JvG

Congratulations. You stuck with the project. Now you can enjoy the results of your persistence and work.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:22 PM

Fixed it!!!!!!!! Turned out my throttle body gasket had the consistency of a potato chip, I swapped it out and it feels like a new car lol

Thank you everyone for the help
thanks for reporting back to us! hm...I think I need to order a few gaskets after reading this lol
Old 04-19-2016, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by bumpypickle
thanks for reporting back to us! hm...I think I need to order a few gaskets after reading this lol
For sure! I spent the last week replacing all gaskets and replaced all factory hose clamps with new clamps and it feels like I had an overhaul on the motor, it was that much of a difference. Car runs great now, and I THOUGHT it was running good before all of that.