4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Please help new max

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please help new max

98 gle

2 days after buyin the max i bought a new starter and put it in....didnt start....so i jumped it and it started...drove it for half a day and now it wont start again even with a jump...the bat is good...and im wonderin if i got a bad rebuilt starter...my question is...If the bat is 12.3 volts and seems good...would a bad altinator stop it from starting even with a jump..i dont know what to do next buy another starter ...
thanks!
Old 06-15-2016, 08:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxedover
98 gle

2 days after buyin the max i bought a new starter and put it in....didnt start....so i jumped it and it started...drove it for half a day and now it wont start again even with a jump...the bat is good...and im wonderin if i got a bad rebuilt starter...my question is...If the bat is 12.3 volts and seems good...would a bad altinator stop it from starting even with a jump..i dont know what to do next buy another starter ...
thanks!
forgot to tell ya, when it started with a jump the meter said 14 volts when it was running but i didnt have lights on or any load really...could it be the alt. makin it not start even with a jump?...or maybe ignition swith...it just clicks fast when i try to start it
Old 06-16-2016, 08:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxedover
forgot to tell ya, when it started with a jump the meter said 14 volts when it was running but i didnt have lights on or any load really...could it be the alt. makin it not start even with a jump?...or maybe ignition swith...it just clicks fast when i try to start it
Anyone?...
it seemed 3 yrs ago when i was a member there were alot more readers of the 4th gen forums....
i wish i remembered my original name and password...
Old 06-16-2016, 10:34 AM
JvG

After you jump the car, disconnect the jumper cables . Measure the voltage while the car is running . Should be close to 14 v even with some accessories on.

If you get 12 v or so, the charging system has issues.

Measuring battery voltage while jumper cables are still attached probaby measures the voltage of the other cars alternator.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:36 PM

Normally if your alternator is bad, you can start the car with a jump but it will die immediately (assuming the battery has already completely run down). If it won't even turn over with a jump, it sounds like a bad starter. There are lots of threads on here from people who put in "new" starters that turned out to be bad (most of them are rebuilts). I've never heard of a bad alternator keeping it from starting at all with a jump.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DBear
Normally if your alternator is bad, you can start the car with a jump but it will die immediately (assuming the battery has already completely run down). If it won't even turn over with a jump, it sounds like a bad starter. There are lots of threads on here from people who put in "new" starters that turned out to be bad (most of them are rebuilts). I've never heard of a bad alternator keeping it from starting at all with a jump.
thanks..i guess i will have to buy another starter and try it again.....has anyone ever had a bad ign switch that just makes the starter click fast?