4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

my BOSE radio sucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 04:19 PM

my BOSE radio sucks

My radio continues to quit working. I have taken it to a local repair shop that says they work on BOSE's all the time. The radio will not cut on and the cd indicator light goes off. It's like it has no power getting to it. This never happens while my car is running. It will be working perfectly and then I will cut the car off and the next time I crank the car the radio will not cut on. The first time it happened I took it to the repair shop and he fixed it. Then about a week later it quit again and he fixed under the 3 month warranty. He said as soon as he took it out of the dash and hooked it back up it started working again. So when it quit again a few days later I just disconnected the positive battery terminal and then reconnected it and it started working. I called him and he said he has no idea why it's doing what it is but now I am having to keep a 10mm socket handy to disconnect and connect the damn battery every other day. It always works as soon as I do that. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about what may be going on. Also, is this doing any harm to my car's computer or anything? Thanks for any help.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:24 PM

BOSE SUCKS MAN! Just swap the POS out...or

http://soundrepair.com/html/nissan.htm
Old 01-30-2002, 05:04 PM

this is definitly not the fist tim eive heard that one before!
Old 01-30-2002, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by ny96max
this is definitly not the fist tim eive heard that one before!
The Bose Audio system may sound extremely nice, but the quality deteriorates farely quickly for such an expensive piece of machinery. I am very greatful that the max was equipped with this system(found the best gxe in the lot), but the quality as I said before on the Headunit is not worth it.

BTw, my dad's in Home Bose Audio system has the same problems as the max HD, we have to connect a sony Cd player to the home system for CD use, also the screen display has vanished as in the car from time to time.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:25 AM

Originally posted by gtr_rider

The Bose Audio system may sound extremely nice, but the quality deteriorates farely quickly for such an expensive piece of machinery. I am very greatful that the max was equipped with this system(found the best gxe in the lot), but the quality as I said before on the Headunit is not worth it.

BTw, my dad's in Home Bose Audio system has the same problems as the max HD, we have to connect a sony Cd player to the home system for CD use, also the screen display has vanished as in the car from time to time.
What would you suggest replacing it with...an alpine or aiwa? What about my speakers; should I just leave them alone? Thanks for the advice.

Daryl
Old 01-31-2002, 02:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The CD player in my BOSE stopped working yesterday. It now reads "ERR" for any CD I put in. Fortunately the rest of the system still works. I'm currently searching the .org to find past discussions on this topic, however I know most people here are in favor of replacing with aftermarket so I'm not sure how much I'll find. I would rather not do that because I don't want to spend the money to get a good sounding system (+$1k I'm sure) and risk it being stolen. I also don't like the look of aftermarket in the car.

I've found this site (http://www.willmanselectronics.com/Default.htm) through a past posting which is a shop in Dallas that specializes in repairing factory systems including Bose. It looks like the problem I'm having should only run $120 + shipping. Has anyone used them or another shop? I'd love it if I could get a reference.
Old 01-31-2002, 02:42 PM

What years are your cars? I am wondering if they are like 95 -96. Isnt that when they changed the head unit to the newer one? I am curious if the newer one has just as many problems or not.

SuDZ
Old 01-31-2002, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by dlee275

What would you suggest replacing it with...an alpine or aiwa? What about my speakers; should I just leave them alone? Thanks for the advice.

Daryl
Try a Aiwa, Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer there all pretty good systems. You can always leave the speakers in and run a Bose adapter on them. Search the Audio section for "Mix it up a little" all the information you need is in that thread.

Originally posted by SuDZ
What years are your cars? I am wondering if they are like 95 -96. Isnt that when they changed the head unit to the newer one? I am curious if the newer one has just as many problems or not.

SuDZ
I have a 95, and the the cd thing started about last year, and I dont have time to rip the radio out and get the adapter.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:21 PM

Same thing happened to mine ~3 weeks ago. It was early in the morning, I started the car, the unit played the CD (which was already in there), and the "ERR" came up. I ejected the CD, and found it is kind of wet (I think it was due to the raining all week). I waited couple days and it works fine now.

Originally posted by dobiegillis
The CD player in my BOSE stopped working yesterday. It now reads "ERR" for any CD I put in. Fortunately the rest of the system still works. I'm currently searching the .org to find past discussions on this topic, however I know most people here are in favor of replacing with aftermarket so I'm not sure how much I'll find. I would rather not do that because I don't want to spend the money to get a good sounding system (+$1k I'm sure) and risk it being stolen. I also don't like the look of aftermarket in the car.

I've found this site (http://www.willmanselectronics.com/Default.htm) through a past posting which is a shop in Dallas that specializes in repairing factory systems including Bose. It looks like the problem I'm having should only run $120 + shipping. Has anyone used them or another shop? I'd love it if I could get a reference.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:37 PM

its a shame these people spend like an extra 4000 dollars to get a GLE and then they spend more money to get rid of the GLE features - lol
Old 01-31-2002, 10:54 PM
Sports Button FTW

CAN I TAKE DOUBLE DIN FROM ANOTHER MAXIMA?

my ****ing cd player don't work either! it's like I pop a cd in there, and it trys to read it but scratches the crapola out of it at the same time then spits it out and says error...so if i take the face from a 95 to 99 will it work???

and are they exactly the same or do i gotta get a face from ANOTHER GLE and it HAS TO BE FROM A 95 MAXIMA????

if so, i'll go to a junk yard and cop a double din face instead of paying hundreds of dollars on a new stereo face plus bose on maxima's supposed to act weird wit other stereo's.....