4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Addco RSB install and performance opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 09:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Addco RSB install and performance opinions

First of all, if you're going to buy this, get it from Greg @ www.custommaxima.com - good price and I had no problems with the transaction.

My friend and I did the install in the parking lot of his apartment complex. You can't do this with the wheels on, so you need 2 jackstands. The install is very straightforward, we didn't even use any directions. It's obvious where everything goes when you get under there. The most important tips I can give to drop the install times - do the install with a friend and get a set of deep sockets for your rachet. We didn't have any and we had to finish 4 bolts with a wrench. Mind-numbing and hurts the shoulder. Total from start to finish took an hour, and everything was very easy with no problems (I'm not too mechanically inclined, this is just an easy install).

Driving (stock suspension + FSTB, Yokohama A540s) - It's worth twice what I paid for it. The car stays significantly flatter in the turns and road feel is very much improved. Body roll isn't gone, this is still a large sedan riding on soft suspension. I noticed no decrease in ride comfort, in fact I felt that it gives the car a much more solid feel. In the curves the rear of the car now feels like it's doing something as opposed to just following the front. The car is now fun to drive!

Excellent product. Buy one now if you don't have one.

What are you waiting for? Go!
Old 01-30-2002, 09:42 PM

Re: Addco RSB install and performance opinions

Originally posted by Weasel
You can't do this with the wheels on, so you need 2 jackstands.
Really? I did. I can't recall reading of anyone taking them off to install it.

Completely agree on all other points.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:11 PM

Re: Re: Addco RSB install and performance opinions

Originally posted by jargoone
Really? I did. I can't recall reading of anyone taking them off to install it.

Completely agree on all other points.
Access to the trailing arms was a lot easier with the wheels off, I can't imagine being able to get a ratchet up there from under the car with the wheel on, especially on the passenger side.

I should have said it was easier, not impossible. Oh well.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Addco RSB install and performance opinions

Access to the trailing arms was a lot easier with the wheels off, I can't imagine being able to get a ratchet up there from under the car with the wheel on, especially on the passenger side.

I should have said it was easier, not impossible. Oh well.
OH! OH! Weasel!! Do you still have the instructions handy? What's the word on adjusting the bar for more rigid or less rigid operation? I seem to remember that if you move the braces on the trailing arms farther back, it's stiffer, and farther forward makes it softer... any help on that one?

Thanks,
Old 01-30-2002, 10:41 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

I have the addco rsb under my bed. bought it from greg as well, but haven't had the time to install it. thanx for the tips.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Addco RSB install and performance opinions

Originally posted by justmax

OH! OH! Weasel!! Do you still have the instructions handy? What's the word on adjusting the bar for more rigid or less rigid operation? I seem to remember that if you move the braces on the trailing arms farther back, it's stiffer, and farther forward makes it softer... any help on that one?

Thanks,
The instructions are in the car, I didn't even look at them during the install. They're terrible though, they go so far as to refer to illustrations which aren't on the page. You're exactly right about that though. The closer to the axle the trailing arm brackets are, the stiffer the bar. There's just less bar length to flex that way. I set mine basically the stiffest possible. There's not that much adjustment either way, maybe 2 inches at most. My bushing is as close to the bend as I could fit it, almost up against the bracket for the brake line.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:04 PM

If you want a reference, the best instructions are provided by www.maxima.org -

https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_modi...sb/index.shtml

Yup, there's more here than the forums.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Addco RSB install and performance opinions

The instructions are in the car, I didn't even look at them during the install. They're terrible though, they go so far as to refer to illustrations which aren't on the page. You're exactly right about that though. The closer to the axle the trailing arm brackets are, the stiffer the bar. There's just less bar length to flex that way. I set mine basically the stiffest possible. There's not that much adjustment either way, maybe 2 inches at most. My bushing is as close to the bend as I could fit it, almost up against the bracket for the brake line.
Excellent, thanks for confirming my guess Weasel!
Old 01-31-2002, 09:35 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

good review.

here's a question: can you still utililze the axle as the jacking point to lift the rear of the car? of not, where do you position your jack?
Old 01-31-2002, 10:02 AM

Hmm... maybe I will pick one up when I do my struts, springs. If I added this at the same time it would feel like a whole new car. Would you be able to install this with the struts off? I am just figuring if possible it would give me some extra elbow room. But I dont know if they are needed on there or not during install.

SuDZ
Old 01-31-2002, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Smooth Operator
good review.

here's a question: can you still utililze the axle as the jacking point to lift the rear of the car? of not, where do you position your jack?
No, as the bar is directly below the axle. I used an area near the factory jack points.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:11 AM

No, as the bar is directly below the axle. I used an area near the factory jack points.
And that seems to work just as well?

SuDZ
Old 01-31-2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

And that seems to work just as well?

SuDZ
From what I could tell -- I only jacked it up that once. It bent the floorpan a little when I jacked it up, but didn't seem to hurt anything.
Old 01-31-2002, 02:26 PM

I jacked up my rear beam and lowered the rear onto wheel ramps. Then I went under the car and installed the rsb. In the end, jacked up the beam again, took away the ramps, and lowered the car. Voila, all done.
Old 01-31-2002, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by JMAX95
I jacked up my rear beam and lowered the rear onto wheel ramps. Then I went under the car and installed the rsb. In the end, jacked up the beam again, took away the ramps, and lowered the car. Voila, all done.
JMAX95: so youre saying you can use the rear axle as a jacking point despite the addco's presence? i did a search on addco and it seems that its impossible to use the beam axle to lift the rear end whereas the stillen bar has enough movement to give the axle clearance. do you use a special jack attachment??? please elaborate. thanks!

Old 01-31-2002, 03:04 PM

JMAX95: so youre saying you can use the rear axle as a jacking point despite the addco's presence? i did a search on addco and it seems that its impossible to use the beam axle to lift the rear end whereas the stillen bar has enough movement to give the axle clearance. do you use a special jack attachment??? please elaborate. thanks!

I'm pretty sure he meant that's how he installed it. First he jacked up the car using the beam, then he lowered the car on to ramps and removed the jack. Then the RSB went on and he drove the car off the ramps. You can not use the rear beam as a jack point with the Addco RSB.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:10 PM

Yes, after you slap on the addco, position the jacking point just in front of the addco bar. It'll work just fine.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:15 PM

Yes, after you slap on the addco, position the jacking point just in front of the addco bar. It'll work just fine.
cool. thanks for replying.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:48 PM

Interesting...

I noticed more improvement with the FSTB. The RSB helped minimally if any at all (yes it is the Addco one from www.CustomMaxima.com). Springs definitely helped the most though.
-Cyrus

Oh, and concerning the taking wheels off - you don' need too at all. I installed mine with the car parked on flat ground (not veen jacked) with Sprints on my car (and additional 2" drop). I am small, but if I can do it with Sprints on anyone can do it with stock height.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:58 PM

Re: Interesting...

Originally posted by Vyrus
I noticed more improvement with the FSTB. The RSB helped minimally if any at all (yes it is the Addco one from www.CustomMaxima.com). Springs definitely helped the most though.
-Cyrus

Oh, and concerning the taking wheels off - you don' need too at all. I installed mine with the car parked on flat ground (not veen jacked) with Sprints on my car (and additional 2" drop). I am small, but if I can do it with Sprints on anyone can do it with stock height.
RSB = Rear Sway Bar
RSTB = Rear Strut Tower Brace

Are you sure you are talking about the right component? I can barely move around under there with Eibachs. I had to have the rear off the ground.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:03 PM

Re: Re: Interesting...

RSB = Rear Sway Bar
RSTB = Rear Strut Tower Brace

Are you sure you are talking about the right component? I can barely move around under there with Eibachs. I had to have the rear off the ground.
That's for the clarification but yes I was talking about the RSB. It is tough to move on but its only 8 bolts so I managed. RSTB I still need to buy...
-Cyrus
Old 01-31-2002, 04:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Interesting...

my friend and i removed it from his car and put it on mine in less than an hour, left the wheels on, used ramps, and as i understand the bar is strong enough to be used as a jack point still, though i havent personally tried it
Old 01-31-2002, 05:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Interesting...

Originally posted by Vyrus

That's for the clarification but yes I was talking about the RSB. It is tough to move on but its only 8 bolts so I managed. RSTB I still need to buy...
-Cyrus
Did you have Sprints on before the RSB? From what everyone says it doesn't make nearly as much difference when you're lowered.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:06 PM

I have Intrax and noticed a little bit of a difference. Especially when I switch back and forth from my factory 15X6s and performance 17X7s. With the car lowered and on low profile tires it STICKS great and I can't really feel the RSB. With the taller profile tires the car sways a little more and I can feel the difference and tell when the RSB is doing its job. I would defintiely get it again and from what I've read I would not get the RSTB.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Interesting...

Did you have Sprints on before the RSB? From what everyone says it doesn't make nearly as much difference when you're lowered.
i have sprints as well, they were put on b4 the bar, i still feel the bar made a difference at higher speeds and curves