4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

passenger door lock not locking fully

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 07:37 AM

passenger door lock not locking fully

i haven't had the time to fix the key fob issue yet, but it would always lock all doors when i used it. now that i have to lock via the drivers door switch the right front door isn't locking all the way. last night i noticed it, i grabbed the handle and the alarm went off, had to rush around to drivers side door and put the key in to turn it off. how do i get the switch/lock to lock all the way? i will be addressing the key fob issue this weekend, i want to do w/e it takes to get all doors locking properly. i know the cold air is causing the locks to act weird, but the passenger doors have been locking/unlocking for a long time now.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:33 AM

There is a self diagnosis function for the locking feature in the EL section under IVMS. Check that and it may tell you the cause.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:09 PM

I don't think the problem has anything to do with the fact you are using the drivers door switch. It would probably do the same if you were using the remote. My view is that you just developed a new problem.

When you push the button on the drivers door, can you tell if the manual lever that is in with the door open lever looks to be mid way? If so, can you push the manual lever all the way or is it binding?

I had a similar problem on my 2000 where a little piece of the manual button broke off and was preventing full movement. But it could be the rods in the door binding somewhere and need some cleaning and lube.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I don't think the problem has anything to do with the fact you are using the drivers door switch. It would probably do the same if you were using the remote. My view is that you just developed a new problem.

When you push the button on the drivers door, can you tell if the manual lever that is in with the door open lever looks to be mid way? If so, can you push the manual lever all the way or is it binding?

I had a similar problem on my 2000 where a little piece of the manual button broke off and was preventing full movement. But it could be the rods in the door binding somewhere and need some cleaning and lube.
what do you lube and how? the door will lock fully, it's random, but the colder air is causing the locks to be retarded. meaning the locks will lock and unlock and it's been doing that for years. i think someone said it has something to do with the master switch needing cleaning and/or replacement?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:57 AM

I can't see it being the master switch. It is going to send out an electrical pulse or it isn't, but not part way. It could be intermittent. There is no cleaning or lubing of the switch either.

You have a mechanical problem in the door. There is an electrical solenoid in the door located by the actual latch on the B pillar. There are various pieces that connect through bellcranks and rod guides that could need cleaning & lube. It could be the latch mechanism itself. I can't tell you exactly, you will have to open up the door and check things out. It is tight in there. I had to replace the outside door handle on my 97 and it was not fun.

But when you lube things, you want to clean the old lube and dirt off of the parts before putting new lube on. Leaving the old muck & yuck in there just creates a jelly that will take up space as well as dry out. You could try spraying the rod guides and the connecting ends with something like WD40 and see if it frees up a little. Just remember that WD40 IS NOT oil. It is a bunch of chemicals that will evaporate. Get something like Liquid Wrench that has oil in it.

I can't remember enough to say for sure, but it might be helpful to take the window glass out to get more working room. It isn't that hard.

Last edited by DennisMik; 11-26-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:41 AM

it's honestly not all the time, mostly when it gets cold out. i'm thinking about spraying into the lock mechanism itself and seeing if that helps it a little. i just sprayed the window corners last night with pb blaster for garage rails, it always helps the windows go up and down a bit faster. i might shoot into the lock with some of that and see what happens.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:54 PM
JvG

Your problems seem to occur during times of low temperature. Lubes get stickier, and congealed whIle it is cold. Consider how bacon grease gets harder in the fridge, while it is at a liquid state on the stove.

You need to clean and grease portions of the lock mechanism