4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The Front Passenger (Right) Side Creaking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 05:08 AM

The Front Passenger (Right) Side Creaking Noise

The 99 model SE 5-MT has a creaking noise that appears mostly in the mornings. If you pull out of the driveway and rock the car back and forth while applying the brakes, it makes a sound like the unibody frame is creaking and popping (like it is trying to separate) from the body.

Has anyone experienced a creaking noise from the lower right front wheel well area?

You can feel the creaking with your feet on the passenger side floorboard in the firewall area. To make it creak, I just need to apply the brakes and change direction. This noise started over 3 years ago and has proceeded to get worse. I just can't seem to put my finger on it so I ordered a chassis ear from Amazon for $99. It will be worth the $99 to find the source of this creaking noise.

Note the vehicle has NO rust. It looks like a very young car underneath.

Parts replaced 4 years ago and then again last month listed below. All parts are MOOG. The most recent is the passenger side MOOG Problem Solver LCA. The creak started roughly 1 year after this suspension refresh.

4 Years Ago -

Inner and outer tie rod ends.
MOOG LCAs
KYB AGX Struts
Non-SE top hats.
New strut bearings
End links and bar bushings

Last Month (Note the new suspension parts helped)

New MOOG PS LCA
New anti-sway bar bushings
New KONI struts, spring insulators, top hats, KP's special insulators, strut bearings -- the works.

I'm running out of idea so I will try the following chassis ear next to hopefully isolate the creaking noise.

Note: The 98 model has the same suspension setup and it is extremely quiet.

Here's a picture of the chassis ear set I purchased to HOPEFULLY find the issue.

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-29-2017 at 05:24 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:00 AM

Polyurethane Bushings? This is why they get a bad rap.

What's on that sway bar? It certainly is in the vicinity of the noise. If so, maybe open them up and apply silicone grease to all the surfaces that marry. If then it still does it..... IMO,OEM preferably or Moog secondly.

Some are OK with the noise for every drop of perceived extra performance. Screw that. LOL
Old 12-29-2017, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by KP11520
Polyurethane Bushings? This is why they get a bad rap.

What's on that sway bar? It certainly is in the vicinity of the noise. If so, maybe open them up and apply silicone grease to all the surfaces that marry. If then it still does it..... IMO,OEM preferably or Moog secondly.

Some are OK with the noise for every drop of perceived extra performance. Screw that. LOL
That could explain the noise increase from this week's cold weather. It seems to have gotten worse. IIRC, I went all poly on those. I have some other SE bushings from Beck that I might try.

One thing that might be a factor is if the sway bar has some rough surface area at the bushing point. One of the sway bars does have some rough area that I had to buff down. Though I think that was on the Q45 rear. I do have an extra sway bar from the I30 that I could try if that one doesn't look right. The I30 came with the SE side plates. So I wonder if it uses the SE sway bar?

I guess I should stop by NAPA and get some bushing grease. I think dielectric might be too lightweight.

My knees have been creaking and popping all week. So I'm starting to share the same ailments with the 99 model.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:05 PM

Don't ever think you can put too much lube in the contact areas with Polyurethane. Extra will squeeze out but leave a healthy amount where it needs it.

I'd use my AGS Sil Glyde Silicone Brake Grease since I have it. You probably do too.

But if not, then I'd look for this. Supposedly the best under weathering conditions:
Amazon Amazon

Whatever you use, make sure you get enough to double the life of your knees. That's a LOT of years worth. LOL

Hang in there. Summer is coming!

Last edited by KP11520; 12-29-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by KP11520
Don't ever think you can put too much lube in the contact areas with Polyurethane. Extra will squeeze out but leave a healthy amount where it needs it.

I'd use my AGS Sil Glyde Silicone Brake Grease since I have it. You probably do too.

But if not, then I'd look for this. Supposedly the best under weathering conditions: https://www.amazon.com/Prothane-19-1...DMDC6ANH81G78S

Whatever you use, make sure you get enough to double the life of your knees. That's a LOT of years worth. LOL

Hang in there. Summer is coming!
Yesterday, the weather warmed up enough to try out the chassis ear. That is an amazing device. My neighbor listed to the ear while I drove around and forced the noise to return. We were able to pinpoint the problem area in just a few minutes.

Now I want to try it on different parts of the engine and other parts of the chassis for fun. That tool is so much more powerful than a mechanics stethoscope. I like how you can listen while driving along.

KP you were right. It turned out to be the stabilizer bar bushing. I need to make some pictures. The kick on this is I was actually using OEM bar bushings with poly end-links. It looks like the bushing broke down somehow is allowing the bar to rub against the U shaped bracket. IIRC the bar on the passenger side of that car has some imperfections on the surface that shorten the life of any bushing. There is something about that bar that doesn't quite fit properly and it seems to shred bushings. Maybe next weekend I will get weather that will allow me to take it apart to find the issue.

Just in looking into some bushings that I have on hand, I like the design of a SE type Beck Arnley bushing that has the slit opening on the bottom as compared to the OEM that has it on the back side. Pictures will tell the story.

Last edited by CS_AR; 01-07-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:22 AM

Doctor..... What a fancy stethoscope you have....... LOL

Glad I could help a little.

Whatever Bushings you use, (and since you have some time) get that "Prothane Super Grease 3" in the link above and apply liberally to the entire area around the sway bar where it marries to the bushing AND where the bushing marries to the clamp on the Suspension crossmember. Anti-seize on the clamp bolts. (just in case. LOL)

Then have a martini as you enjoy "Peace and Quiet". You've earned it!

Do you think those homemade neoprene strut gaskets help quiet the suspension a little more?
Old 01-07-2018, 01:55 PM

No luck here today. The noise is still there. I did replace the stabilizer bar bushing. Here's a picture of the old bushing below. I will try again on a weekend with better weather.

If there was anything easy about this 99 model, then I would be shocked.

I used another OEM bushing with a generous amount of Sil-Glyde. I like the looks of the Beck Arnley below. Though I need to smooth out or replace the stabilizer bar as it has a rough surface contact area for the bushing.

Last edited by CS_AR; 01-08-2018 at 05:41 AM.