4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Passenger Doors locking by themselves

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 11:43 PM
ef9

Passenger Doors locking by themselves

I have a 1996 Infiniti I30 and sometimes when I close my driver side door, the other 3 passenger doors will lock.

I changed the BCM and it still behaves the same way.

Oddly enough, once in a great while, the doors will unlock themselves and the factory car alarm will go off.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:50 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by ef9
I have a 1996 Infiniti I30 and sometimes when I close my driver side door, the other 3 passenger doors will lock.

Oddly enough, once in a great while, the doors will unlock themselves and the factory car alarm will go off.
There is probably a short or bad connection inside the driver's door. The bcm was not the cause of your problem.

A volt-ohm meter is your friend. Sometimes you will see the needle move while on the ohm setting.
Jiggle the wiring connections as you do this.

It's also possible that the cause is corrosion or a bad contact inside the driver'​ door switch board.

I have repaired similar contacts by taking the switches apart, clean the contacts with super fine sand paper, then reassemble.
​​
Old 03-11-2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
There is probably a short or bad connection inside the driver's door. The bcm was not the cause of your problem.

A volt-ohm meter is your friend. Sometimes you will see the needle move while on the ohm setting.
Jiggle the wiring connections as you do this.

It's also possible that the cause is corrosion or a bad contact inside the driver'​ door switch board.

I have repaired similar contacts by taking the switches apart, clean the contacts with super fine sand paper, then reassemble.
​​
or spray electronic cleaner inside the switches if your lazy like me.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:04 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by max ride 41
Yes, sometimes that is a good first thing to try.

Followed by disassembling if that does not work.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:34 PM

i probably need to do the same thing to my master switch, been having issues with doors locking and unlocking randomly as well.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
I like DeoxIT® for that purpose
Old 03-12-2018, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by ef9

If you're using the key fobs to lock, unlock and arm your alarm, I'd encourage you to disable your fobs (remove the batteries) and see if anything changes.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:35 AM
ef9

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it!
Old 03-12-2018, 06:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ef9

Another possibility is that the door lock motor is wearing out and is not fully unlocking the door. If the door lock position sensor is right at the threshold between locked and unlocked, closing the door can cause the door lock lever to move just slightly and cause the doors to lock.

I had that problem with my car, particularly in cold weather. Replacing the door lock motor (actuator) fixed the problem. The motor usually wears out on the driver door first before the rest of the doors.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:01 PM
ef9

Thank you for your quick response. I wonder if the door lock actuator can be taken apart to be cleaned?

A new one is expensive. I am assuming so expensive because of the door lock switch position is built-in.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:30 AM

Thank you for starting this thread! I have problems with my doors locking themselves as well

Yesterday, they locked with the car running AND the driver's door open.

I'm thinking somewhere in the control unit rather than the FOB.

Or Gremlins?
Old 03-14-2018, 09:54 AM
ef9

I believe mine is due to the driver door module (the one that has all of the window buttons and door lock button) or it could be the door lock actuator.

I took my driver door module out and took it apart to clean. Was clean as a whistle. Upon reinstalling, the 3 doors automatically lock. So I think there is a poor connection at that connector. I reinstalled the connector several times, each time it behaves like that.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:15 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by ef9
Thank you for your quick response. I wonder if the door lock actuator can be taken apart to be cleaned?

A new one is expensive. I am assuming so expensive because of the door lock switch position is built-in.
Seems to me that the actuator would respond to an electical command from somewhere else. A test would be to remove the wire to the actuator. Then apply 12v through test leads. It should respond every single time. If it does, problem is upstream.

NOTE. I haven't encountered this myself. I'm just talking theory.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:35 AM
ef9

Right now I am leaning more towards the poor connection between the driver door module (has the windows switches and door lock switch) and the harness because after taking it out and reinstalling, haven't had the problem since. Whereas I would see the self-locking problem at least once daily.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:48 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by ef9
Right now I am leaning more towards the poor connection between the driver door module (has the windows switches and door lock switch) and the harness because after taking it out and reinstalling, haven't had the problem since. Whereas I would see the self-locking problem at least once daily.
You probably inadvertantly cleaned an oxidized contact by doing that. I hope that it stays fixed.
Orherwise, clean your contacts.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:53 PM
ef9

That probably happened!!!!!

I noticed over the past year, the symptoms were getting more and more often. I was too lazy to change the BCM(thought it was that).
Old 03-14-2018, 02:48 PM

Not sure about the 4th gens but I know the 3rd gen have a power door lock module under the drivers side dash you can hear click when you lock or unlock the doors. If the 4th gens have em I'd check that aswell. Taking the board out and re soldering any bad points on the board often fixed those weird issues. When I had my 3rd gen it got to the point where my door locks eventually quit all together and re soldering the bad solder points on the board fixed it or in your case could possibly be a relay or master switch or actuator?
Old 03-14-2018, 04:06 PM
ef9

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Not sure about the 4th gens but I know the 3rd gen have a power door lock module under the drivers side dash you can hear click when you lock or unlock the doors. If the 4th gens have em I'd check that aswell. Taking the board out and re soldering any bad points on the board often fixed those weird issues. When I had my 3rd gen it got to the point where my door locks eventually quit all together and re soldering the bad solder points on the board fixed it or in your case could possibly be a relay or master switch or actuator?
The 4th gen has a driver door lock module, which is integrated into the assembly of the power window switches and door lock switch. There are data lines that go between this module and the body control module, which is located below the car stereo.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:44 AM

I had the same problem. My driver's side doors had the clear peeling of near the roof line. I found a set in the junkyard that were good and replaced them. The problem went away. I thought it was the switch on the door latch that caused the issues. Everything was swapped over except the harness on both doors and the linkage with the latch.