4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

#3 Cylinder misfire

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 10:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

#3 Cylinder misfire

I have a 95 Maxima that started missing pretty bad....
It has 2621,000 on it so I said hell with it and changed all the coils, plug, oil and o2 sensors., Ran fabulous that evening, went out the next day and it started missing again... Checked harness, I have 12.65 volts on the right pin (Red) and good ground (black) to battery and the left wire (lue w/ red stripe) is intermittent and random voltage.... Any suggestions on what it could be? Its ONLY #3 cylinder thats doing it.

Update: Cleared codes. No rear O2 sensor as that was one of the original codes. Don't know how that's possible but it did. Mfg 7-94 and DOES NOT have a down stream (rear) O2 sensor so I'm kinda puzzled here.... Maybe wrong ECU eprom, Bad ECU?

Last edited by Patrick Rudisell; 04-05-2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Added additional info
Old 04-05-2018, 02:22 PM
JvG

You forgot to test or check out the fuel injector.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Administrator

^

Should have done the coilpack swap test to confirm it was the coilpack before spending $$$.

After you cleared the codes, did it come back? And at cylinder #3 again?

What coilpacks did you buy? which sparkplugs?
Old 04-05-2018, 10:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JvG
You forgot to test or check out the fuel injector.
Yes JvG, I did check voltage on #3 injector, just forgot that on the post... Injector checked out fine.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by The Wizard
^

Should have done the coilpack swap test to confirm it was the coilpack before spending $$$.

After you cleared the codes, did it come back? And at cylinder #3 again?

What coilpacks did you buy? which sparkplugs?
Pulled the plug on #3 coil and no effect on idle at all. Pulled the coil and it had an orange fire not blue or white. I did swap out the coil for #6 and #6 did the same thing... Not my first time working on a car, I knew #3 was bad and as far as I knew, no maintenance has been done to the car in the last 2-3 years because the idiot I got it from just let it set figured it was time to do them all. Couldn't hurt. As far as the coils go, I bought good ones, spent the money and bought oem Hitachi's and ngk platinum plugs. Figured if I was doing it, might as well make it last...... I'm at a lose on this one. The rear O2 sensor is missing also so I'm going to find the harness tomorrow and see if I can't fix that issue before the header and cat delete gets done now.... The latest codes are 34, 66 & 77... That's been the on going theme with the codes. The codes don't change after clearing and the CEL coming back.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Patrick Rudisell
Pulled the plug on #3 coil and no effect on idle at all. Pulled the coil and it had an orange fire not blue or white. I did swap out the coil for #6 and #6 did the same thing... Not my first time working on a car, I knew #3 was bad and as far as I knew, no maintenance has been done to the car in the last 2-3 years because the idiot I got it from just let it set figured it was time to do them all. Couldn't hurt. As far as the coils go, I bought good ones, spent the money and bought oem Hitachi's and ngk platinum plugs. Figured if I was doing it, might as well make it last...... I'm at a lose on this one. The rear O2 sensor is missing also so I'm going to find the harness tomorrow and see if I can't fix that issue before the header and cat delete gets done now.... The latest codes are 34, 66 & 77... That's been the on going theme with the codes. The codes don't change after clearing and the CEL coming back.
Ummmm....You can't swap odd cylinders (#3) with even cylinders (#6) coilpacks (assuming that's what you're trying to say when you said "swapped #6 for #6") Why are you talking about cylinder #6 now? Your first post clearly stated "only the #3 cylinder is doing it". You still haven't clearly stated that you swapped cylinder #1 or #5 with cylinder #3 to see if the code moved after clearing the code.

What are the equivalent Pcodes for 34, 66 & 77?

You need to do a much better job of explaining yourself if you expect us to help you. You bought the right quality coilpacks and sparkplugs, so that's good.

My hunch w/o more info is that the injector needs to be replaced with a new one, or send it out to be cleaned, flow tested and re-built. If you replace one injector, I suggest you do them all. If on a budget, do cylinders #1, #3 and #5 while the manifold is off. The others are a piece of cake and you can get to them anytime.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Ummmm....You can't swap odd cylinders (#3) with even cylinders (#6) coilpacks (assuming that's what you're trying to say when you said "swapped #6 for #6") Why are you talking about cylinder #6 now? Your first post clearly stated "only the #3 cylinder is doing it". You still haven't clearly stated that you swapped cylinder #1 or #5 with cylinder #3 to see if the code moved after clearing the code."

What are the equivalent Pcodes for 34, 66 & 77?

You need to do a much better job of explaining yourself if you expect us to help you. You bought the right quality coilpacks and sparkplugs, so that's good.

My hunch w/o more info is that the injector needs to be replaced with a new one, or send it out to be cleaned, flow tested and re-built. If you replace one injector, I suggest you do them all. If on a budget, do cylinders #1, #3 and #5 while the manifold is off. The others are a piece of cake and you can get to them anytime.
Yes you can just to see if the coil is firing. Pulled the harness off the coil and it still had no effect on the coil in #6 so dead coil..

34 is Knock sensor
66 Cylinder #3 misfire
77 rear O2 sensor, thats missing....

I am going to Investigate the injector this evening, I hope I can without takin the upper intake off but I don't know.

As far as explaining myself better, I don't think I could have made it any clearer.... My money's on the injector though and I guess thats going to e a weekend project because I don't have time now to do it now....
Old 04-06-2018, 07:38 PM

You must pull the intake to get to the rear injectors

Replace ALL THREE injectors in the back row. Because the other two might be on their way out, and you do NOT want to have to pull the intake again!

Get Bosch, Hitachi, or Beck/Arnley injectors. They are the actual OE injectors.
Bosch 62027
Hitachi FIJ0023
B/A 158-0861

The O-rings are sold separately. Beck/Arnley part #158-0957. You need a package of O-rings for each injector, so you will need 3.

You will also need new screws, as the old ones strip easily, and you will need to apply a vice grip around the screw head to get them out. Get these Hillman screws from Home Depot.

Also replace the valve cover gaskets. Get Beck/Arnley, Mahle, or Victor Reinz. Spark plug tube seals are included.

A new intake plenum gasket is also needed. Get the Beck/Arnley brand.

It is also a good time to clean (or replace) the EGR guide tube. A new PCV valve is also worth installing.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:15 PM
JvG

I agree with maximaxi. Do this once, do it right.
Because doing this chore is no fun. You don' want to do this again, or a third time.

The the screws are jis Japanese Indus trial Standard. JIS screwdrivers are shaped slightly different than ordinary Phillips head. Using a Phillips screwdriver can cause stripping. If you insist anyway, press down on the screwdriver.

Your injectors might look fine. But chances are that they are 20 years old. The pintil caps will eventually crack. They leak fuel badly once they do. The excess fuel can kill your cat. Not to mention difficult staring if the car has been off for a while.